The Student Room Group

Dad wants to date my teacher

Bit of an awkward situation really...

My mum walked out on my dad almost 10 years ago, when I was only 8. I lived with her until I started secondary school, when I decided that I wanted to live my dad, and I haven't had much contact with her since then as she has a whole host of problems (I'd rather not get into that on here...)

Since they split up, my dad has only had 1 serious relationship and I think he misses having a girlfriend.

Last November, he went for a drink with a woman he'd met through a mutual friend. They got on really well but, when they started talking about their jobs, he realised that she was actually my maths teacher. They decided that it would be awkward for me if they were anything more than friends and so they didn't meet up for a while.

In February half-term, they bumped into each other in the pub and started talking. They swapped numbers and have met up a few times since. I don't really like to ask him about but he's told me that they've kissed and that's as far as it has gone.

Now he's saying that he really likes her and would like to date her on a more serious basis but doesn't want to do anything that I'm uncomfortable with. Apparently she has said the same thing.

We've never mentioned it in school. I get on well with her and she's always been one of my favourite teachers as she's taught me all the way through, from Year 7 to Year 13. I'm leaving to go to university in September and so she wouldn't be my teacher anymore.

When I leave home, my dad will be living on his own. He should be able to date anyone he wants, so why do I feel so awkward about this? It's not as if I'd have to be around them all the time. I wouldn't even have to be aware of what's going on between them.

I suppose it's the thought of my dad having sex with her that's making me feel so uncomfortable. Also, if things got more serious, I couldn't imagine her knowing everything about me and living with her when I'm at home.

I know I'm over-thinking this and it may not work out, but I just want some advice as to what I could do to feel less awkward? Do you think I should have a chat with her and pretend that I'm totally ok with her dating my dad, just so that it's not as awkward between us when they do start dating?

Anyone been in a similar situation? How has it worked out?

(BTW, I think they'd make a great couple, which I why I think that they could become very serious. They have a lot in common and are both genuinely lovely people, so I wouldn't be surprised if it lasted for years rather than months...and so this is why I'm thinking ahead :smile:)

TL;DR - my dad wants to get more 'serious' with my teacher. I'm leaving home soon, so I wouldn't be around much - it's just the thought of them 'together' that makes me feel a bit uncomfortable. Any advice?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't have any advice, but I found out that my dad has had sex with one of my teachers at parents evening :tongue:
Reply 2
I mean, I found out at parents' evening that my dad has had sex with one of my teachers!

They weren't going at it on the tables or anything! :tongue:
Reply 3
Sounds like a great way to pass all your coursework
Original post by LukeMT
I don't have any advice, but I found out that my dad has had sex with one of my teachers at parents evening :tongue:

I still prefer this one :rolleyes:
Tell him to bring his A-game, or your grades will suffer.
Original post by LukeMT

Playa!
Reply 7
Just let them get on with it. If it makes you feel awkward, deal with it. In the long run everyone will be happy, things happen in life that you don't want, you have to think about others and it makes you grow as a person.
DadLAD
Reply 9
Original post by LukeMT
I mean, I found out at parents' evening that my dad has had sex with one of my teachers!

:rofl:

OP: I'd just let it happen - you like the teacher, they clearly like each other, you won't have to be around. Maybe talk to your dad about these thoughts just to have it out in the open? I get why you'd be upset but really, it's not the end of the world. It might even be really good, especially if it makes your dad happy. :h:
Reply 10
Original post by hxecute
I still prefer this one :rolleyes:

I don't think my mum would've been too pleased! :tongue:
Original post by LukeMT

:O at parents evening?! what, did she make some weird in-joke while they were discussing your progress?
Reply 12
Original post by estrella1.1
:O at parents evening?! what, did she make some weird in-joke while they were discussing your progress?

Haha, no, my dad told me (quietly) that he'd 'shagged her' when he was about 18 :tongue: I don't think that she knows that I know!
Original post by BrummieBoy93
DadLAD

...DLAD!
Original post by LukeMT
Haha, no, my dad told me (quietly) that he'd 'shagged her' when he was about 18 :tongue: I don't think that she knows that I know!

aaah awkward. keeping a straight face must have been difficult lol
Reply 15
Original post by LukeMT
I don't think my mum would've been too pleased! :tongue:

Your mum told me she did not mind when we I brought her to my place. Btw, your new brother's name is gonna be Kule.:smile:
You can call me Daddy. Big family!
Reply 16
Original post by LukeMT

:eek:

Your mum would be so upset. That's why she chose to spend the whole night in my room. It was hot so we took off clothes...She is so good in bed!:smile:
Reply 17
OP, I know it may be awkward (very, very, very awkward) at first, but once they start dating and you 'get over' the fact that they've had sex, it won't seem so bad :smile:

It could be a lot worse! At least you like her :smile:
Reply 18
You sound like you have a very mature attitude about the whole thing. It's not always easy to find happiness in this world so I think being supportive of this relationship would mean the world to your Dad. It also sounds like both of them have gone out of their way to make it right for you - some parents would just go for it regardless. I think it's brilliant for your family. Good luck!
Reply 19
At the end of the day, would you rather your dad to be happy, or alone on the basis you would feel awkward?

I can sort of understand what you mean, but to be honest I think you'll feel awkward with almost every new (serious) partner, not just her. You say you like her enough, at least that's something!

Quick Reply