The Student Room Group

Does everyone do this?

Write their ps using this structure,

Intro
Work Experience
Extra Curricular
Conclusion

Would it be unadvisable to use a different layout to this?
Reply 1
Ummm... You might want to mention why you want to study medicine at some point? Apparently its pretty crucial :wink:
Reply 2
Original post by MJHERBZ
Ummm... You might want to mention why you want to study medicine at some point? Apparently its pretty crucial :wink:

Introduction.
Original post by telephone

Intro
Work Experience
Extra Curricular
Conclusion

Well I tried to do mine differently....and after the 4th redraft found myself with the structure above :tongue: You can do it any way you want it is a personal statement after all. Most people are hampered by the lack of space, so structuring it that way is a tried and trusted method of ensuring you cover everything.

A number of people choose to start of with an anecdote, usually from work experience. You don't need to have a distinct introduction (they know what you are writing about!). You should aim to include only the most relevant information, less can be more :smile:
Reply 4
I'd interweave your reasoning for wanting to do medicine throughout, not just the introduction. It helps to sound passionate about work experience etc so it doesn't look liike you've just done it because you know you have to and it makes you a stronger applicant.
Reply 5

Intro
Work Experience
Extra Curricular
Conclusion

oh i did that, wasnt aware that it was a common format though...

just write it however it comes out, as long as it flows well and its got a good structure that keeps the reader interested i dont think it really matters
Pretty much, mine went like this

Intro: Went for a bold opening statement, then went on to why Medicine.

Work Experience: Talked about what I learnt from it, how it's helped me and how it also makes me want to choose medicine.

Gap year: Talked about things that I hoped to achieve in my gap year as well as more work experience that i hoped to gain to further my choice in medicine.

Conclusion: Went back to why medicine but this time talking about what I'd like to gain in the future.
Reply 7
All personal statements are the same generic waffle throughout, rarely actually more than 50% written by the candidate. Don't worry about things like having the same structure!

EDIT:
Original post by MasterJomi

One of the videos in your sig doesn't work btw (for me at least). I especially liked the punchbag one :biggrin:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Pretty much i went for:

Intro
Work Exp/School
More Work exp
Extra Curricular
Conc
You don't have to use that format, so long as you cover all of the necessary info. There's a good guide to writing a Medicine PS here, and loads of example statements written by previous applicants here.
Reply 10
Original post by MJHERBZ

Original post by MJHERBZ

LOL :P
Reply 11

Intro
Work Experience
Extra Curricular
Conclusion

Mine wasn't in that structure at all...It was pretty random actually, I had a lot about work experience and talked about why I want to do that course. I mentioned some extra curricular stuff...as it linked the course I'm applying to do :smile: Good Luck! Just make it interesting, unique and engaging and you'll be fine (I know, easily said than done) :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending