The Student Room Group

Film Fanatics - Chat Thread II

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1060
The first Pokemon movie rocked my socks. Got the free Mewtwo card with my ticket and everything. :moon:
I'm just watching 21 grams, and I have to say I think it's rubbish. I don't see why so many think it's a great film?
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Ape Gone Insane
That's an idea! The thread can be a poll too. Should get round to this in the next week or so. :yep:

Brilliant. Thanks, man!

Seems I've already repped you recently.

Yeah, he's good in Even Stevens or a background character. Not so much as the central one.

I'm pretty sure Shia La Beouf is in the new Transformers. :awesome:

I'm personally looking forward to (copied and pasted from another thread):

Apollo 18 - looks like a good horror.

Super 8 - looks very promising. Abrams is great.

Cowboys & Aliens - Daniel Craig and Harrison Ford, it has aliens and cowboys. Win.

Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2 - last HP film, Battle of Hogwarts and the end of years of films. Really looking forward to it.

Fast Five - just for being a decent action film

Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides - just for being a decent action film

Transformers: Dark of the Moon - just for being a good action film

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol - M.I. films have always been good action films so I'm looking forward to it.

Red Riding Hood - not too sure on this one.

The Hangover: Part II - the first Hangover didn't actually make me laugh out loud, but I still really enjoyed it.

Kung Fu Panda 2: The Kaboom of Doom - loved the first one.

X-Men: First Class - looks promising

Immortals - Clash of the Titans was a disappointment. This is another film with a good budget based on Greek Mythology. Can never get enough Greek mythology.

Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows - loved the first one. Thought Jude Law and RDJ were great. Looking forward to this one and some more Moriarty.

Johnny English Reborn - Found the first one funny.

Your Highness - seems a bit cheesy but worth going to for the cast.

Cars 2 - loved the first one.

Winnie the Pooh - childhood factor.

French Connection on Film4 tomorrow night. Could do it then. :awesome:
Godfather I and II are on Film4 next week :holmes:

I'm pretty sure Shia La Beouf is in the new Transformers. :awesome:

I'm personally looking forward to (copied and pasted from another thread):
[*]Cars 2 - loved the first one.

Cars is a fantastic film. I've watched it a good 10 + times as my nephew adores it and I'm never bored by it. Shame that Paul Newman won't feature in the sequel.

As for Shia, darn, I was going on the trailer I saw a month or so ago that featured no mention of him. Was hoping so hard. :puppyeyes:
Original post by Stray_talk
Cars is a fantastic film. I've watched it a good 10 + times as my nephew adores it and I'm never bored by it. Shame that Paul Newman won't feature in the sequel.

As for Shia, darn, I was going on the trailer I saw a month or so ago that featured no mention of him. Was hoping so hard. :puppyeyes:

I'm actually uber excited for Transformers Dark of the Moon, I really like 1 and 2 - revenge of the fallen less so

it's gonna be interesting seeing the film without Megan Fox, I'm still not 100% sure about Rosie Huntington just cos I haven't seen her in anything else, trailer looks good though

:nutcase: :nutcase: :nutcase:

(production video is fantastic by the way).

Poké-Fight Club.
The first three were brilliant. Full of emotion and heavy-going. Even Cambo's avatar reflects a scene from the first film. The later ones, I agree, have lost the magic. That might just be because we've grown up now, or are not too familiar with the new generations. But it's just become that usual formula of legendary pokemon fighting each other or being mistreated. 13 times.

Full of emotion and heavy-going? Let's break the first one down (as it's the only one I remember, apart from seeing 30 minutes of Pokemon 3000 as a kid and thinking it was a confusing abomination):

We have a 90-minute warped moral message that undermines the entire premise of the franchise. In pokemon, you catch wild animals against their will by forcing them into submission and then forcing them to fight for you. In the film, we learn that fighting is wrong.

Then the film pulls a dick move with the whole stone-Ash scene. If you want emotion and heavy-going, check out classic Disney. In the death scene of a film like Bambi, innocence is shattered and the character grows because of it. It means something because of the impact that it has. In pokemon, the character comes back to life after a couple of seconds because everyone cries. That isn't emotional, that's just bull****.

Finally, the characters end up forgetting everything which allows them to go on forcing their captured animals to fight. Yay for continuity making it impossible for anything meaningful to happen!

Pokemon is not a good movie. It's not emotional or heavy-going. It's a piece of crap designed to separate money from kids' parents.
Original post by Phalanges
Full of emotion and heavy-going? Let's break the first one down (as it's the only one I remember, apart from seeing 30 minutes of Pokemon 3000 as a kid and thinking it was a confusing abomination):

We have a 90-minute warped moral message that undermines the entire premise of the franchise. In pokemon, you catch wild animals against their will by forcing them into submission and then forcing them to fight for you. In the film, we learn that fighting is wrong.

Then the film pulls a dick move with the whole stone-Ash scene. If you want emotion and heavy-going, check out classic Disney. In the death scene of a film like Bambi, innocence is shattered and the character grows because of it. It means something because of the impact that it has. In pokemon, the character comes back to life after a couple of seconds because everyone cries. That isn't emotional, that's just bull****.

Finally, the characters end up forgetting everything which allows them to go on forcing their captured animals to fight. Yay for continuity making it impossible for anything meaningful to happen!

Pokemon is not a good movie. It's not emotional or heavy-going. It's a piece of crap designed to separate money from kids' parents.

I think Ape was being sarcastic. :p:

Also, check out The Hobbit stuff. :awesome:

You're probably being sarcastic as well.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Phalanges
In pokemon, you catch wild animals against their will by forcing them into submission and then forcing them to fight for you. In the film, we learn that fighting is wrong.

Try again. :tongue:
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Madjackismad

Also, check out The Hobbit stuff. :awesome:

You're probably being sarcastic as well.

nope, I can see where he's coming from... but I liked the first 3, the first was good :cool:

Gonna see Scre4m on the weekend probably, want to see Your Highness though, even though it doesn't look that funny to me
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by lukejoshjedi
wasn't too familiar with the new characters

They have a good diversity thing going on. Female, black guy and hero. Several movies later; female, black guy and hero.

btw I just read up on 'Immortals', I've heard about it but didn't really know the plot - and yeah it sounds pretty good, I love films set in ancient Greece / Rome

There are some promo pics on the net as well. Look much cooler than Clash of the Titans Gods.

The first half of the post was, you'd have thought he'd have caught it with 'heavy-going' coming from a man who didn't even find Inception particularly heavy-going.

I should still add, I love the first film.

French Connection on Film4 tomorrow night. Could do it then. :awesome:

Too soon, man. Too soon. I wish there was a Lynch film on. :holmes:

Original post by cambo211
Godfather I and II are on Film4 next week :holmes:

My one and um, only chance to watch them.

Sounds like a plan.
They have a good diversity thing going on. Female, black guy and hero. Several movies later; female, black guy and hero.

There are some promo pics on the net as well. Look much cooler than Clash of the Titans Gods.

The first half of the post was, you'd have thought he'd have caught it with 'heavy-going' coming from a man who didn't even find Inception particularly heavy-going.

I should still add, I love the first film.

Too soon, man. Too soon. I wish there was a Lynch film on. :holmes:

My one and um, only chance to watch them.

Sounds like a plan.

Come on, be spontaneous. :awesome: Just do it informally.
The Hobbit.

Howard Shore better be back for this one. :hmmm:

Or I might kill a penguin.

Original post by Stray_talk

Yeah, he's there. Looking as handsome as ever. You know those shots, running around all sweaty, bruised and battered with some blood near his forehead. Also holding hands with a shocked looking model.

Shia La Buff :sexface:

I kid. :awesome: There's a robot boxing film coming out as well. It's literally Transformers meets Rocky. So we take the most boring aspect of Transformers and we make a movie about it. You can just imagine the internal struggles robots go throw in a boxing match.

Drawing room genius. I hope that guy got a promotion.
(edited 12 years ago)
Howard Shore better be back for this one. :hmmm:

Or I might kill a penguin.

Probably will be. I mean, they're not going to have some industrial techno rock soundtrack. :p:
Come on, be spontaneous. :awesome: Just do it informally.

But who would participate so soon? Okay lets see what response we get. I've created a thread in the Film forum. If it gets any replies, then we could try out French Connection. If that fails, I blame you. :colonhash:
But who would participate so soon? Okay lets see what response we get. I've created a thread in the Film forum. If it gets any replies, then we could try out French Connection. If that fails, I blame you. :colonhash:

Well, it should be a drop in, drop out kind of thing. Just a place for active discussion, no need to pressure people and certainly no need to pressure them into thinking that they have to give an answer that is lengthy and intellectual... just nattering about a film... :p:
Reply 1079
Original post by cambo211
Try again. :tongue:

In Pokemon you catch wild animals and brainwash them into being your friend because you travel alone.

Quick Reply

Latest