The Student Room Group

Why is the A-level Business Studies seen as a soft option?

I am doing a business studies A-level, and there are a lot of people at my college who mock and laugh at this. I have a few mates who do maths who basically think they're superior in a mocking way because they do maths and I do Business studies.

This annoys me, as ok fair enough maybe maths A-level is harder in terms of that the content is much harder to learn, but at the end of the day each person plays to their own strengths and does what they enjoy, and it just irritates me when people I know who do maths claim they could get an A* in Business Studies without even trying. How do they know that until they have done the subject?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
People look down on it because it's a soft subject. It is statistically easier than other subjects so it IS softer, what more is there to say? I don't think people should look down on it because it is, like you say, relative to the person but there's no getting away from the fact that it's less academic.
Reply 2
I'm afraid to say that your mates have some justification.

Business Studies is not a tough subject and doesn't do you any favours. The natural progression is a Business Join Honours degree, which is also not a tough subject and will also not do you any favours
Reply 3
It's not a bad subject, it is just statistically easier than others.

As with all subjects, people are good at it or bad, and people who are good at 'harder' subjects such as further maths has no meaning to how good they are at business, they are completely different skills. Plus the majority of people claling it a soft subject are people who have never done it and just copy other people and assume because they do futher maths etc they are better.

I had friends in my business class who were getting through maths and physics like nothing, but struggled in our class. It is the same with every subject.
Reply 4
Original post by thecookiemonster
I am doing a business studies A-level, and there are a lot of people at my college who mock and laugh at this. I have a few mates who do maths who basically think they're superior in a mocking way because they do maths and I do Business studies.

This annoys me, as ok fair enough maybe maths A-level is harder in terms of that the content is much harder to learn, but at the end of the day each person plays to their own strengths and does what they enjoy, and it just irritates me when people I know who do maths claim they could get an A* in Business Studies without even trying. How do they know that until they have done the subject?

Dont want to be rude but i feel the same with your friends, even I think business studies is really really soft, firstly because I have done it at GCSE, its not challenging at all, very easy to grasp and understand as its basic concepts of how a business runs.

Another reason its seen soft as many top universities dont like it, only LSE publicly ackknowledge, so people get rejected on the basis they do business. So people see it as a soft subject in comparision to something such as Maths and especially Economics... as business studies is deprived from a small part of Economics.

I would say that you should have done Economics rather than business as Economics is a traditional and recognisible subject... plus Economics is broad and much more challenging and allows better understanding... which is why Economics degree will get the same jobs as a business degreee and much more, plus better wages ,etc

But thats the way I have seen it, anywhere i talk about business and economics, economics comes out on top as does maths as its a highly respectable subject which requires yur brain to work to the limit in comparison to business which is quite simple....But upto you, of what you make off it as it least gets you a good job above average wage, just firms will prefer a maths or economics degree
Reply 5
Original post by tateco
People look down on it because it's a soft subject. It is statistically easier than other subjects so it IS softer, what more is there to say? I don't think people should look down on it because it is, like you say, relative to the person but there's no getting away from the fact that it's less academic.

Statistically easier wtf?
Reply 6
In terms of comparing it to Mathematics, Business Studies does seem to fall short. But it's all about preference. An A grade in a "weak" subject you enjoy is better than a "C" grade in a "strong" subject you hate.

By the way, Business Studies is more of a mediocre subject.

I feel the same way. People often say that Sociology is a "weak" subject. If anything, it's mediocre at minimum. Plus there are so many names, concepts and studies etc you have to know, it can get really frustrating when people say universities don't value it.

Don't worry about it, your subject is fine as long as you enjoy it.
Original post by Iqbal007
Dont want to be rude but i feel the same with your friends, even I think business studies is really really soft, firstly because I have done it at GCSE, its not challenging at all, very easy to grasp and understand as its basic concepts of how a business runs.

Another reason its seen soft as many top universities dont like it, only LSE publicly ackknowledge, so people get rejected on the basis they do business. So people see it as a soft subject in comparision to something such as Maths and especially Economics... as business studies is deprived from a small part of Economics.

I would say that you should have done Economics rather than business as Economics is a traditional and recognisible subject... plus Economics is broad and much more challenging and allows better understanding... which is why Economics degree will get the same jobs as a business degreee and much more, plus better wages ,etc

But thats the way I have seen it, anywhere i talk about business and economics, economics comes out on top as does maths as its a highly respectable subject which requires yur brain to work to the limit in comparison to business which is quite simple....But upto you, of what you make off it as it least gets you a good job above average wage, just firms will prefer a maths or economics degree

Hmm well it can't be seen as that soft by universities, as i received all 5 offers(Manchester, Oxford Brookes, Kent, Sheffield,Nottingham Trent), although i did of course apply to do a International business course, and I do French and Spanish A-level as well.
Original post by tateco

What do you mean by statistically easier?
Reply 9
It is easier, I take 5 subjects (Including Maths) and Business Studies (Doing the full A level in a year, with 2 lessons a week,) is considerably easier than the others. Though I do know most of the course through Economics anyway. I've just found it doesn't require a lot of understanding and it feels like the skills required are more GCSE skills, at AS at least anyway, it gets harder at A2.

An A* in any subject is quite difficult though and the skills required for Maths are much different than that of Business Studies, so a lot of your 'friends' are just talking a lot of hot air.
(edited 13 years ago)

Usually because you don't have to learn much to do well in the exams, just know the essay writing technique. I did it at A level and found once I'd learnt how to analyse and evaluate the case studies, I didn't really need to know much theory at all; especially at A2, I didn't need to learn anything extra. And with the case studies, you can always write something, just using the case study and your common sense. Whereas in English Lit exams, you often aren't even allowed to take the books in so an unprepared candidate could easily be unable to write much, if anything, at all.

Compared to Chemistry, where I had to learn a huge amount of material and also the exam technique, it was a lot less work.

But that doesn't mean you shouldn't do the A level, not everyone is going to be aiming to be a scientist!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Apex9

There was a study into how difficult each subject actually was, I can't remember the link but maybe google it? I remember film studies came bottom by a long way, think Business was just under the middle.
Reply 12
because it is easier, your friends aren't the only ones, generally universities also look down on it
Reply 13
Original post by Apex9

The pass rate is statistically higher, studies have shown that some subjects are intrinsically easier than others to do well at.
Reply 15
Original post by Milky Milk
I do business studies A-level and whilst I do believe it is not as demanding as maths or science subjects, who are your friends or anyone else to come up to you and suggest that it's inferior? It's less academic, not less (did you mean more?) inferior.

And if any of my friends especially or anyone in general really came up to me and tried to say that any of my subjects were inferior, I'd probably spit in their face and let them realise what inferiority really is.

Bit harsh. Surely you can see where people are coming from with an attitude that it is less demanding... I know people shouldn't be mean about it but it doesn't mean you can deny that it is less respected. If you spat in their faces you would probably just compound the fact that you are being immature :biggrin:
Reply 16
Original post by torchwood
because it is easier, your friends aren't the only ones, generally universities also look down on it

Not really, there is no record anywhere of anyone other than the top universities looking down on it, to which they have a big list of things they look down on.
Reply 17
Hmm well it can't be seen as that soft by universities, as i received all 5 offers(Manchester, Oxford Brookes, Kent, Sheffield,Nottingham Trent), although i did of course apply to do a International business course, and I do French and Spanish A-level as well.

Its because you applied for a type of business course so its relevant, but in other coursess it'll look bad
I'm also currently studying AS Business Studies and it is a pain and sometimes, very annoying when it is looked down upon. However, it is a softer subject compared to the likes of Maths and Economics (something I wish I would have chosen over Business Studies).
Reply 19
LSE do not think much of business studies, compared to an economics at a-level see

http://www2.lse.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/pdf/UndergraduateProspectus2012.pdf

look at bottom right hand corner of page 37 where they make an explicit comparison, in the context of what they term "non-preferred" subjects.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending