The Student Room Group

One fail- does it matter?

I'm doing my AS's now, and i'm aware that my prospective uni's are going to look at them when I apply. I'm aiming to do astrophysics, and I'm getting A's in my physics past papers, A/B's in my maths papers, and A's in my biology papers. Thing is, i'm getting E's in my chemistry papers (chemistry just doesn't compute), say these are my hypothetical AS results, will uni's really mind, considering i'm aiming to drop chemistry after my AS's?

Thanks
I think if you at least pass it with an E and do get As and Bs in everything else, the majority of unis would take you, just not the top 10.
If you fail chemistry you do not need to declare it on your UCAS application, because it hasn't been "cashed in". There's no qualification to declare, you failed.

If your AS results have not been "cashed in" you do not need to declare it on your UCAS application. You can tell if your AS Levels have been cashed in on not, by what appears your results slip. If you have both the result and UMS scores, they have been cashed in.

Some people decide to not declare their results, regardless of whether the results have been cashed in. I don't think the policy is heavily regulated, by UCAS or admissions tutor, so it's entirely your choice - despite what people here might say.
Reply 3
Original post by Magical Moogles
If you fail chemistry you do not need to declare it on your UCAS application, because it hasn't been "cashed in". There's no qualification to declare, you failed.

If your AS results have not been "cashed in" you do not need to declare it on your UCAS application. You can tell if your AS Levels have been cashed in on not, by what appears your results slip. If you have both the result and UMS scores, they have been cashed in.

Some people decide to not declare their results, regardless of whether the results have been cashed in. I don't think the policy is heavily regulated, by UCAS or admissions tutor, so it's entirely your choice - despite what people here might say.

That's great, but will I look less impressive than other candidates if it looks as though I have only done 3 AS subjects?
Original post by NickBarney
That's great, but will I look less impressive than other candidates if it looks as though I have only done 3 AS subjects?

Depending on the subject, I don't think admission tutors really care about this. I say it depends on the subject, because medicine applications for example, are heavily scrutinised, and don't follow the same procedure.

If your school have predicted you sufficiently, and you have a good personal statement and reference, then you should be fine. Although it should be said that many departments cannot even be bothered to read the personal statement you spent ages writing!

The subjects you take and the grades you expect to achieve, are far more important than an extra AS Level. I don't think the extra subjects is seen as more impressive, unless its specified as being preferable in the course conditions.

The reason why some people find the application process tough, is primarily from bad decision making.

- Make sure you have reliable predicted grades. Being ambitious is only good, if you really know you can do better.
- Make sure that you don't apply to many/any departments above those grades, as there is a high chance you won't be successful. Predicted grades are probably just as important, as the subjects you are taking.
- Make sure that you are taking relevant A Levels.
- Read the course conditions carefully. Only apply if you have the correct qualifications

It's really common sense stuff, but you'd be surprised of the number of applicants who don't follow these basic guidelines.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5
I got an E in AS chemistry, my offer was ABB (politics, economics, history), got in with BBB :P (and yes i know my subject selections make no choice considering my degree)
Reply 6
Original post by metalthrashin'mad
I think if you at least pass it with an E and do get As and Bs in everything else, the majority of unis would take you, just not the top 10.

Don't listen to this idiot.

The top 10 will consider you if you're getting A's and B's it at least three subject. The E is just something extra that universities don't really look at especially as it is just an As.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending