The Student Room Group

Top 8 GCSEs including science, maths, english language

When Universities specify that they only look at top 8 GCSEs, they say this must include maths, English Language and either double science or triple science award. The thing is, I didn't quite do triple science. I did double science and Physics and Chemistry.

If they decide to look at at all my science GCSEs, they'll consider me as having 6A* and 2A. But if they decided not to count my separate science subjects, and count my double science instead, then I'll have 7A* and 1A, due to an A in Physics.

My question is this: will they consider my Physics and Chemistry, even though I don't have Biology GCSE and therefor don't have a 'complete' set of triple science GCSE?
Original post by as_94
When Universities specify that they only look at top 8 GCSEs, they say this must include maths, English Language and either double science or triple science award. The thing is, I didn't quite do triple science. I did double science and Physics and Chemistry.

If they decide to look at at all my science GCSEs, they'll consider me as having 6A* and 2A. But if they decided not to count my separate science subjects, and count my double science instead, then I'll have 7A* and 1A, due to an A in Physics.

My question is this: will they consider my Physics and Chemistry, even though I don't have Biology GCSE and therefor don't have a 'complete' set of triple science GCSE?

Ofcourse they will consider your physics and chem, triple science is not 'all or nothing' as such, they are all separate grades.

On another note, A lack of a biology GCSE for medicine could be seriously detrimental to your application. Why didnt you do bio?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 2
Original post by Extricated
Ofcourse they will consider your physics and chem, triple science is not 'all or nothing' as such, they are all separate grades.

On another note, A lack of a biology GCSE for medicine could be seriously detrimental to your application. Why didnt you do bio?

Er, it's long and complicated. I did do double science, so I did enough biology :tongue:

Surely it won't be detrimental if I do it for A level? Especially as a lot of Universities say that double science is acceptable?
Original post by as_94
Er, it's long and complicated. I did do double science, so I did enough biology :tongue:

Surely it won't be detrimental if I do it for A level? Especially as a lot of Universities say that double science is acceptable?

Oh you did it as part of your double science, that is fine then, make sure you declare that because it seems slightly confusing.

Either way, good luck!!
Reply 4
Original post by Extricated
Oh you did it as part of your double science, that is fine then, make sure you declare that because it seems slightly confusing.

Either way, good luck!!

haha thanks
Reply 5
Original post by as_94

Original post by as_94
haha thanks

So you saying you did:

GCSE Physics
GCSE Chemistry
Core Science
Additional Science ?
Reply 6
Original post by gozatron
So you saying you did:

GCSE Physics
GCSE Chemistry
Core Science
Additional Science ?

Yes. Got A in Physics, A* in the rest.
Reply 7
Original post by as_94

Original post by as_94
Yes. Got A in Physics, A* in the rest.

I'd probably contact any unis your applying too to make sure they'll accept single physics and chemistry alongside the double award. I have a feeling they might not, but its best to contact them directly.
Reply 8
Original post by as_94

Original post by as_94

You really need to contact the Unis. Because in my GCSE years I was going to do the same thing by picking up Chem and Bio in addition to Core and additional but was advised against it.

Reason:
when doing the seperate award alongside Core and additional Science you are effectively doing the same exams twice (C1a, C1b, C2 m/c, C2 s, P1a, P1b, P2 m/c, P2 s) So that means that you didn't really learn anything new on top of what you have intially learnt. So I think they will only count Core and Additional - that's what I have been told by my old teacher, so do make sure to contact the unis, because i am not a reliable source regarding this matter.

Good luck, and don't stress out!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending