The Student Room Group

13inch or 15inch macbook pro

Scroll to see replies

I'm afraid you've been misled. I just checked with my old boss (he's the head genius for Europe) and he's never heard of that. Did you buy it during the "Back to school" promo?
Reply 81
13''
Reply 82
Original post by winter_mute
Did you change any of the configurations? If not It'll be coming from Ireland and should take 2-3 days max. You can track where the package is in your apple store account btw.

Thanks! I was gonna go in store but 1) I don't know how easy student discount is to do in store and 2) there's a printer I want with it that I can order online at a radix low price and don't think I'd get that on store.

Any info to change my mind on these reasons? 3days seems so long ha! Alsooo do I get to pick what time it's delivered?
Original post by BigDirty
Thanks! I was gonna go in store but 1) I don't know how easy student discount is to do in store and 2) there's a printer I want with it that I can order online at a radix low price and don't think I'd get that on store.

Any info to change my mind on these reasons? 3days seems so long ha! Alsooo do I get to pick what time it's delivered?

The discount will be easy, so long as you have your student ID with you. IIRC your letter of offer will be enough too. Just make sure, as they do different levels of discount. The one you should get is 14%. As for the printer, they can order it there for either collection in store or to your house.

If you want a standard 13" (If I was you I'd get the bigger HD for £40) then you should be able to walk away with it. If not, you'll have to go through the BTO (build to order) system which will have to be sent to your house. It shouldn't be long as the new one has been out for a while.

I'm afraid you've been misled. I just checked with my old boss (he's the head genius for Europe) and he's never heard of that. Did you buy it during the "Back to school" promo?

Nope, but like I said it's only hearsay so I'll take your word for it, you've obviously got a more credible source =P I paid for AppleCare anyway.
Reply 85
My brother has the 15 inch which is fine for him because he edits/ DJ's/ is a gamer, so he needs the screen space. I use a 13 inch which is perfect for me because I use if for basic stuff, documents, powerpoints, music, films, internet. It's small enough for me to carry it around without it being too small that I can't see what I'm doing. Unless you're a gamer/ need it for media I wouldn't recommend going as big as 15 inches.
Reply 86
The discount will be easy, so long as you have your student ID with you. IIRC your letter of offer will be enough too. Just make sure, as they do different levels of discount. The one you should get is 14%. As for the printer, they can order it there for either collection in store or to your house.

If you want a standard 13" (If I was you I'd get the bigger HD for £40) then you should be able to walk away with it. If not, you'll have to go through the BTO (build to order) system which will have to be sent to your house. It shouldn't be long as the new one has been out for a while.

I love that your a fountain of knowledge. Why do you recommend the bigger harddrive? I thought the 320GB would be more than enough? I'm a bit of a techospazz tbh, so I like any input :smile:

I love that your a fountain of knowledge. Why do you recommend the bigger harddrive? I thought the 320GB would be more than enough? I'm a bit of a techospazz tbh, so I like any input :smile:

Unless you're downloading hordes of HD movies or lots of newly released game, the standard HDD configurations are enough for most people. Plus you can simply buy external HDDs if you ever fill up [=
Reply 88
Thats what I thought too. Cheers!

Edit: who is that if your profile pic?
(edited 13 years ago)
*giggles happily*

Yay!
I have another advantage to add to my 'switch to a Mac' list! :biggrin:

Thats what I thought too. Cheers!

Edit: who is that if your profile pic?

No problem =P
No idea on his name, he's the singer in this band:

(Wow, weird thumbnail for the video =P)
Reply 91
Brilliant video. Might be forced to rape him if I ever saw him :colone:
Reply 92
Be honest now, did you spill something in it?

Honestly? No. My brother might have, he used it occasionally. But I never did.
Reply 93
Original post by Deema
My brother has the 15 inch which is fine for him because he edits/ DJ's/ is a gamer, so he needs the screen space. I use a 13 inch which is perfect for me because I use if for basic stuff, documents, powerpoints, music, films, internet. It's small enough for me to carry it around without it being too small that I can't see what I'm doing. Unless you're a gamer/ need it for media I wouldn't recommend going as big as 15 inches.

If you're a gamer I wouldn't recommend getting a Mac. You can't play most newly released games on it.

I am ordering my 13inch MacBook Pro on Sunday - exciiiiiiited. How long will it take to arrive so I can play with it? :colone:

Awesome, when you get it you'll love it. If you have the time, you should definitely learn various key commands. It took me maybe... a week to get fluent with them but it feels natural now.

I have the older Macbook (without the multitouch trackpad) so I can only tap, right click, and scroll with the pad, however the keyboard commands make everything just as fast if not a hair slower than with it.
I love that your a fountain of knowledge. Why do you recommend the bigger harddrive? I thought the 320GB would be more than enough? I'm a bit of a techo****z tbh, so I like any input :smile:

I would definitely agree. I don't really have the time to watch as many movies as I would like, however, I do have two 320 gb hard drives that I picked up a while ago. Storage is so cheap these days and it would probably be economically better to get the base sized HDD (I have a 320gb in mine) and get a HDD for extra space.

You can get a terabyte for under 100 bucks if you look around; with prices like that it's easy to grab one (or something of similar size) and be out the door.
Or record every piece of music you hear. I dare you to find even a medium sized recording studio that doesn't use Macs. Or Graphics companies.

If you don't need the space, then save the money. To be honest for £40 it'll save you trouble if you need to upgrade in the future. The drive they use would cost you more to buy from any retailer.

That being said you can find a USB 1TB hard disc for around £50 now. I'd partition it so that 320 of the drive can be used for time machine, and the rest for extra external space.
Reply 98
If you don't need the space, then save the money. To be honest for £40 it'll save you trouble if you need to upgrade in the future. The drive they use would cost you more to buy from any retailer.

That being said you can find a USB 1TB hard disc for around £50 now. I'd partition it so that 320 of the drive can be used for time machine, and the rest for extra external space.

Do you know which precise model number they used for their HDDs? If I remember they use a 5400rpm Seagate?
You can easily pick up a new 500GB Seagate for under £40, and whilst keeping the other 320GB HDD.

180GB is not worth £40.
I am all for Apple products. The base models are reasonable priced.
But the second you try to upgrade they try to steal your first born child. It isn't so bad here, but if I remember correctly it used to be something like £80 for a 2GB memory module, and their SSDs...
Reply 99
Oh just shush.
If you are generalising every since Mac user because of one person, regardless of whatever they could possibly have said, you are a moron. Simple as.

And if you are about to call me an "Apple fanboy ******" or whatever immature thing was about to shoot out your ignorant mouth, you can save it. I am a PC user because I can build them myself cheaper.
That said, Macbooks are very sensibly priced for their specs, general quality (Colour Gamut!), etc. if you don't pick any addons. Do the upgrading yourself, and they are just as cheap as any well-build PC. If you doubt that then you are simply wrong.
Stop embarrassing PC users, Western civilisation, and humanity in general.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending