The Student Room Group

Don't want to go to my firm choice?

The usual offer for Birmingham for American Studies and History is ABB, however they offered me AAB. I have put this as my firm - but if I do get AAB, I would prefer to ring other universities and see if I could get a place on normal History. What I am asking as if I am legally obligated to go to my firm choice. If say Nottingham offer me a place through clearing would I be able to go there?

Another question:

If you get the grades for your insurance place are you guaranteed a place there? As surely there are many more applicants for the places that are available?

Hope this made sense, and thanks in advance.
Your problem will be that by the time your firm uni has released you after results day, most clearing places will be gone.
Original post by jamamama
The usual offer for Birmingham for American Studies and History is ABB, however they offered me AAB. I have put this as my firm - but if I do get AAB, I would prefer to ring other universities and see if I could get a place on normal History. What I am asking as if I am legally obligated to go to my firm choice. If say Nottingham offer me a place through clearing would I be able to go there?

You can request to be released if you are accepted by your Firm choice, but once released your place has gone so make sure that you do have somewhere else to go first. Also, they're under no obligation to actually release you, although most universities will.

The other option if you get AAA for example (i.e. better than your offer) is UCAS Adjustment which allows you to shop around while holding on to your firm choice, but not many universities tend to take part in this.

Original post by jamamama
Another question:

If you get the grades for your insurance place are you guaranteed a place there? As surely there are many more applicants for the places that are available?

Hope this made sense, and thanks in advance.

You are guaranteed a place at your insurance if you do not get into your firm choice, and meet the conditions of your insurance.
you're not guaranteed a place at your insurance also, you can change your choices if you contact the unis. (the insurance can raise the terms of the offer if they feel like it, it happened to me, then I talked some sense into them).
Original post by Anything_For_Med
you're not guaranteed a place at your insurance also, you can change your choices if you contact the unis. (the insurance can raise the terms of the offer if they feel like it, it happened to me, then I talked some sense into them).

If you meet the conditions of your insurance offer, and your firm choice has rejected you (not released you), they have to offer you a place. If they don't, you should go to UCAS to complain as the offer is binding. They also can't just increase the conditions of an offer once you have Firmed / Insured.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending