The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by crcr
do you know this person? are you sure you aren't talking about the guy from "million dollar traders"? if you are, you would know that "story" hasn't actually been confirmed. if you aren't, you should realize that is the most obscene case of adverse selection ever. either way, your a muppet.

to the op, no but IB is more difficult than other divisions (such as trading) to get into if you don't come from a "good" uni.

I am talking about the guy from million dollar traders.... I have been in contact with him and have also met him... he did retire at 28, went traveling and is now running an the institute of portfolio management.....
Reply 21
No you don't; but you do have to stand out in other fields.
Reply 22
Original post by CityTrader
Guys, bear in mind people that get into the top 6, and want to go into IB, don't think you are guarenteed place! people who are truly motivated and show real flaire can also obtain FO jobs I know a person who got a BA economics degree at manchester - no contacts - straight to a FO trader role at goldman sachs then moved to jp morgan to head up thier prop desks, 7 years later and he was retired at the age of 28!

hmmm
Reply 23
is sussex up there?
Original post by ajayhp
is sussex up there?

Sussex is university number 19.
Reply 25
I am talking about the guy from million dollar traders.... I have been in contact with him and have also met him... he did retire at 28, went traveling and is now running an the institute of portfolio management.....

i seriously doubt any of that is true. however, you should question why if he is such a BSD he spends his time now scamming people instead of trading. further, my second point still remains, your point has no informational value because its adverse selection. how many went to Manchester, did economics and tried to get into IB but failed?
If I retierd at 28 I dont think I would spend my life doing degrees! lol, I would rather just party and enjoy life...

I guess I just like learning things ha :redface:
Original post by ilickbatteries
I guess I just like learning things ha :redface:

ha! fair enough :-)
Original post by ajayhp
what about sussex uni?

I imagine anyone can get into IB if they work hard enough.

However, the chances of actually doing so by going to a university that isn't very highly regarded will be so minute that it's almost hopeless.

Probably about 1 in 10,000, maybe more
Reply 30
No you don't. All you need is a good fabulous suit and when they give you the interview, you will simply shock them with your readiness for the job.
Original post by crcr
i seriously doubt any of that is true. however, you should question why if he is such a BSD he spends his time now scamming people instead of trading. further, my second point still remains, your point has no informational value because its adverse selection. how many went to Manchester, did economics and tried to get into IB but failed?

Trading, is a serious burn out career, it is very high pressure, high anxiety and is hard graft..... People think it is lavish lifestyle when truly your in the office at 6 and can leave at 10! many people do trading till they hit there 40s ect....so someone pulling out early is no real news......................... you could say how many went to oxbrige tries to get into IB and failed? i bet alot of people.
(edited 13 years ago)
To get into IB, surely you have to be looking at the top 5/10?
Reply 33
Original post by thestrategist89
Oh dear...

Cut me some slack I'm only 16:rolleyes:
Reply 34
Trading, is a serious burn out career, it is very high pressure, high anxiety and is hard graft..... People think it is lavish lifestyle when truly your in the office at 6 and can leave at 10! many people do trading till they hit there 40s ect....so someone pulling out early is no real news......................... you could say how many went to oxbrige tries to get into IB and failed? i bet alot of people.

6am till 10pm!!! Sorry, but in the IBD you can be working 140 hour weeks during busy times. Traders get the easy hours.
Reply 35

was that the programme where they were trading and there was some hedgefunder?
Original post by tw15st3d
was that the programme where they were trading and there was some hedgefunder?

yep.

And he didn't even get a 1st. This guy is my hero. I may get into GS after all if I get a 1st from Bristol, or not?
Original post by multiplexing-gamer
I want to do Economics at the Royal Holloway. Is it good enough?
Sorry for going to the stereotype.

Please learn the meaning of the word stereotype.
OP, Short answer = yes..........Long answer = yes.

Latest

Trending

Trending