The Student Room Group

Investment Banking provides no economic contribution

Can anybody justify the notion of becoming an investment banker. These people, who are possibly the most corrupted group of individuals on the planet, can only fulfill this role, because they lack any form of empathy for their fellow humans.

Investment Bankers quite simply manipulate debt and the money supply, in the name of profit and competition. They do no 'create' wealth, or anything that is of social value. Large company profits are merely the product of transferring numbers from one computer screen to another, at the expense of those that are riddled with debt. Yet, the most surprising, and mind-boggling fact of all, is that when it all goes horribly wrong, (2008 financial crisis), it is the honest, hard-working tax-payers, that contribute to society, are the ones to 'bail them out'.

To become an investment banker, is in absolute entirety, to work against the foundations of efficiency, sustainability and human progress!
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I don't care.
Reply 2
How else am I meant to fund my fabulous suits. That's why I want to be a banker. So I can look money and class in front of everyone. because honey, it costs money to looks as good as me and to get respect
Reply 3
Original post by McMannBean
How else am I meant to fund my fabulous suits. That's why I want to be a banker. So I can look money and class in front of everyone. because honey, it costs money to looks as good as me and to get respect

Why do you feel it is correct that respect is measured upon your material, artificial wealth as opposed to meaningful indexes such as social contribution?
Reply 4
Original post by dude55
I don't care.

This tbh.

The real reason I'm going uni is to make monies.
Wow you just discovered that Einstein?

Who cares its a good way to make money. Besides last year in America 40% of all profits were made from financial services (banks,stock exchange ) etc...
"Investment Banking provides no economic contribution"

Have a look at our biggest contributer to GDP, banking and the financial industry........it is also our biggest exporter.
Reply 7
I can't believe I'm wasting my time with this, but hey, here goes.

You're retarded. Either that, or you don't understand what investment banking actually is.

Do you think we'd have private oil companies, or car manufacturers, or any other large capital intensive private companies without investment banks? How do you think they'd finance themselves? How do you think a company raises capital in order to carry out their business activities?

Do you even know what an investment bank is, or did the daily mail not mention that part?

Further, have you ever studied any economics in your entire life? I'm guessing no. London is the centre of the financial universe and attracts business from all around the world... do you know what a multiplier is?
Original post by CityTrader
"Investment Banking provides no economic contribution"

Have a look at our biggest contributer to GDP, banking and the financial industry........it is also our biggest exporter.

Investment banking does count in the gdp but however other things such for example buying and selling of shares do not count towards the gdp

the gdp is = C + G +I + (X-M).

Investment in economic which is a component is not what it is in accounting but different in economics. Something is only counted as an Investment if it produces something i.e plants and machinery.
Original post by x_muneeb_x
Investment banking does count in the gdp but however other things such for example buying and selling of shares do not count towards the gdp

the gdp is = C + G +I + (X-M).

Investment in economic which is a component is not what it is in accounting but different in economics. Something is only counted as an Investment if it produces something i.e plants and machinery.

Oh wow! we have referred to the AS economics course..... banking and finance is the biggest exporter towards our economy. and trust me the financial sector is the biggest contributor to UK GDP
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by CityTrader
Oh wow! we have referred to the AS economics course..... banking and finance is the biggest exporter towards our economy and C + G +I + (X-M) is related to Aggregate demand. and trust me the financial sector is the biggest contributor to UK GDP

I was just about to say this about people thinking they're qualified economists with AS economics. :facepalm:
Original post by n1r4v
Shame you have to work 12 hours a day for it though

...and then accumulate enough wealth to be able to luxuriously retire 20 years before the average person.

Shame indeed :rolleyes:
Original post by Ironuts
I can't believe I'm wasting my time with this, but hey, here goes.

You're retarded. Either that, or you don't understand what investment banking actually is.

Do you think we'd have private oil companies, or car manufacturers, or any other large capital intensive private companies without investment banks? How do you think they'd finance themselves? How do you think a company raises capital in order to carry out their business activities?

Do you even know what an investment bank is, or did the daily mail not mention that part?

Further, have you ever studied any economics in your entire life? I'm guessing no. London is the centre of the financial universe and attracts business from all around the world... do you know what a multiplier is?

Spot on!
I like people like you because you think differently. But lets be real, we need money and investment banker seems like a good route if you don't happen to be talented.
Reply 14
Original post by Ironuts

Do you think we'd have private oil companies, or car manufacturers, or any other large capital intensive private companies without investment banks?

Private oil companies, car manufacturers... so this the product of investment banking? The destruction of resources, which took millions of years to develop. The increased likelihood of respiratory problems. Would you also like to merit the Mexican Gulf disaster?

You are clearly blinded by ignorance, and the materialistic world that surrounds you. You're life is governed by financial gain, hence your narrow-minded, defensive response, to justify working as an investment banker.

Gross Domestic Product measures nothing but the inflow of money from goods and services sold. Where is human progress or development measured? If you understand economics, you would not disregard sustainability so easily.
Reply 15
Got to agree with you there! Really wanted to become an IB for a long time, then realised they're all a bunch of ****ers, earning money for other people and potentially losing them **** loads of money, whilst they don't give a ****.
Original post by Wenger
Can anybody justify the notion of becoming an investment banker. These people, who are possibly the most corrupted group of individuals on the planet, can only fulfill this role, because they lack any form of empathy for their fellow humans.

Investment Bankers quite simply manipulate debt and the money supply, in the name of profit and competition. They do no 'create' wealth, or anything that is of social value. Large company profits are merely the product of transferring numbers from one computer screen to another, at the expense of those that are riddled with debt. Yet, the most surprising, and mind-boggling fact of all, is that when it all goes horribly wrong, (2008 financial crisis), it is the honest, hard-working tax-payers, that contribute to society, are the ones to 'bail them out'.

To become an investment banker, is in absolute entirety, to work against the foundations of efficiency, sustainability and human progress!

Move to North Korea if you dont like it mate.
Reply 17
Original post by Zürich
Move to North Korea if you dont like it mate.

I'm not advocating communism you ignorant fool. I'm emphasising the importance of human progress that isn't represented by corporate bankers, whom are the most corrupted people on the planet, completely detached from nature and human society.
Reply 18
Original post by Wenger

After that rant, I'm now gonna rethink my whole career plan :biggrin:

Its a brilliant well paid job, and provides you with a very stimulating work environment.
+ Financial services contribute more to our GDP than any other sector, just thought I'd share that.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by Wenger

If we look at it in an abstract sense, investment bankers essentially decide where resources should be allocated (since money at a fundamental level is basically a representation of resources). Of course they manage to pocket a few of those resources in the process!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending