The Student Room Group

Revision site with IB Physics content

Try this for IB physics revision and post to this thread what you would like to be added.

https://sites.google.com/site/notredamescience/

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The ones I found the most helpful:
http://ibphysicsstuff.wikidot.com/
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/IB_Physics
http://www.ibphysicshelp.net/
http://www.revision-notes.co.uk/IB/Physics/index.html

Most of them are somewhat unfinished or outdated (using the old syllabus), though...
Honestly, I did physics last year for IB. Higher Level.

Online stuff is terrible. Get the Tsokos book and do lots of practice papers/use the questionbank. You shouldn't NEED online things, except perhaps for waves if you want to see that visually.
Reply 3
Original post by The Man of the Hour
Honestly, I did physics last year for IB. Higher Level.

Online stuff is terrible. Get the Tsokos book and do lots of practice papers/use the questionbank. You shouldn't NEED online things, except perhaps for waves if you want to see that visually.

True, books are much much better, but sometimes if you want to find one exact piece of information you can't find in the book you currently have at home, internet can be of help... This applies especially when you do not have an IB-specific book at hand - I use Giancoli's physics at home, and at school either Tsokos or one I can't find online, so I don't know the author's name, but they are both written exactly according to the syllabus, and are really good...
Reply 4
Does anyone know of a site with the multiple choice questions that you can just do online?

Paper 1 is driving me crazy...I can barely get 50% and I need a 6!

:bawling:

Any other advice?
Original post by bluesky42
Does anyone know of a site with the multiple choice questions that you can just do online?

Any other advice?

http://www.rcnuwc.org/ibphysics/mc/mc1.html

Use that. It's all encompassing and also explains your errors.
Reply 6
Original post by theultimateplu
http://www.rcnuwc.org/ibphysics/mc/mc1.html

Use that. It's all encompassing and also explains your errors.

That looks amazing. Thank you!!! :biggrin:

Can't rep today, but will do tomorrow!
That looks amazing. Thank you!!! :biggrin:

Can't rep today, but will do tomorrow!

No worries, good luck :smile:
Reply 8
Chris Hamper provides good explanations on IAs.
Reply 9
Original post by Madrigal
Chris Hamper provides good explanations on IAs.

Bit late now isn't it?
Reply 10
Bit late now isn't it?

It's not, not for anyone else reading this post who is still in year 12 or who somehow went through year 12 without doing any IAs or messing them up. :wink:
Reply 11
It's not, not for anyone else reading this post who is still in year 12 or who somehow went through year 12 without doing any IAs or messing them up. :wink:

Haha okay fair enough. Science IAs were the bane of my existence. I'm so glad I dropped Chemistry before we had to do any serious ones!
Reply 12
Haha okay fair enough. Science IAs were the bane of my existence. I'm so glad I dropped Chemistry before we had to do any serious ones!

Haha, I despised these evil bastards. During my five month stint in the IB, this, along with my hopelessly bad Chemistry teacher, were the things that I dreaded the most.
Reply 13
Haha, I despised these evil bastards. During my five month stint in the IB, this, along with my hopelessly bad Chemistry teacher, were the things that I dreaded the most.

:confused:

You left?
Reply 14
:confused:

You left?

I messed up year twelve and shifted over to a private school, which at the time, were offering only IB. Their academic year starts in September, like in the UK, which meant that I wouldn't be losing out on a year if I did go there. However, their choice of IB subjects were very limited. For instance, ITGS was offered at HL only; Economics wasn't available; History clashed with my Physics class; Computer Science wasn't offered either. So, that along with sub-par teaching in my HL subjects (except for Maths), made me go back to A-Levels. I went back to a public school because I didn't find it worth the money to stay there and do A-levels when I can do them for free elsewhere.
Reply 15
I messed up year twelve and shifted over to a private school, which at the time, were offering only IB. Their academic year starts in September, like in the UK, which meant that I wouldn't be losing out on a year if I did go there. However, their choice of IB subjects were very limited. For instance, ITGS was offered at HL only; Economics wasn't available; History clashed with my Physics class; Computer Science wasn't offered either. So, that along with sub-par teaching in my HL subjects (except for Maths), made me go back to A-Levels. I went back to a public school because I didn't find it worth the money to stay there and do A-levels when I can do them for free elsewhere.

Oh okay. Just out of interest, are you glad you're doing A levels now, or would you rather have done IB, circumstances permitting?
Reply 16

Any other advice?

Try gradegorilla, http://gradegorilla.com/introductionGP.php/

:smile:
Reply 17

Thank you! :smile:
Reply 18
Oh okay. Just out of interest, are you glad you're doing A levels now, or would you rather have done IB, circumstances permitting?

Either works for me. Both are good programs in their own right. The only reasons that would make want to do A-Levels over IB would be the IAs, which I abhor. I also find CAS plain annoying. I did a fair bit of it which wasn't eligible to be recorded, which really bugged me. I also think that TOK is too restraint and that it is so, because of its grading system/marking scheme.

Circumstances permitting, I would have done something along the lines of:
HL: Maths (my favourite subject in the program, by far); Physics; something else
SL: English (first language; some other second language of which I have no notion of (German or Japanese); Economics.

I was forced to do French as second language when I'm actually "qualified" to do it as a first language. I wasn't complaining, considering it was an easy seven and it meant that it would allow me more time to focus on my other subjects but it did also involve me being bored to tears.
Reply 19
Either works for me. Both are good programs in their own right. The only reasons that would make want to do A-Levels over IB would be the IAs, which I abhor. I also find CAS plain annoying. I did a fair bit of it which wasn't eligible to be recorded, which really bugged me. I also think that TOK is too restraint and that it is so, because of its grading system/marking scheme.

Circumstances permitting, I would have done something along the lines of:
HL: Maths (my favourite subject in the program, by far); Physics; something else
SL: English (first language; some other second language of which I have no notion of (German or Japanese); Economics.

I was forced to do French as second language when I'm actually "qualified" to do it as a first language. I wasn't complaining, considering it was an easy seven and it meant that it would allow me more time to focus on my other subjects but it did also involve me being bored to tears.

That's interesting to hear. Much as I love IB, there is a little part of me which says that had I done A levels I might have gotten into the university/course I really wanted. And of course it would be easier to meet university offers at this stage.

I have to agree that CAS is pretty annoying, although I like the general idea of it. It sucks you couldn't do both English and French A1, but I guess it's good to have an easy 7 - you could've even done it at higher! Anyways, I guess none of this matters now.

What A levels are you doing now? Are you a UCASer too?

Quick Reply

Latest