The Student Room Group
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London

Accomodation at Imperial

Scroll to see replies

Reply 340
Original post by arianex
You get to choose accommodation, yes; though I'm pretty sure that you'll be emailed the stuff later than those who've firmed ICL. Usually they email accommodation info to those who've insured Impy around August; but I've heard it might happen earlier.

Hi thanks for responding, does this mean that i have a much lower chance of getting accommodation in the most popular halls like eastside/southside and beit?
Learning at Imperial College London
Imperial College London
London
Reply 341
Original post by amoled
Hi thanks for responding, does this mean that i have a much lower chance of getting accommodation in the most popular halls like eastside/southside and beit?

I think everyone does, statistically.
Original post by Yotterportan
I just realised what ICL stands for after lurking 18 pages in this thread :s-smilie:

Yeah but nobody calls it ICL because ICL rhymes with UCL, like we want that! :rolleyes:
:teehee: - Apologies if you're a UCL fan!
Reply 343
Original post by arianex

(looks at question in disbelief...) Really? REALLY? *facepalm*

Anyway, ASAP - that is, as soon as you get your accommodation application email (which gets sent out in May onwards. Harangue ICL if they don't.) And make sure you get it in before late July as per what the website says, otherwise you might well end up being told that there's no room in College and get given info on hunting for private sector accommodation.

AHH! that's so soon! :O

gonna have to look in to it now

thanks!!
Reply 344
Original post by nikita_atikin
:rofl: LMAO! You can't tell but I'm litterally crying with laughter here :rofl: Max LAD points for you, and some rep for good measure :wink: I appreciate it anyway, so thanks for that. That's actually not too bad! What halls are you in btw, can I ask? And are the bathrooms about the same in all of the halls? Also they don't have weird showers or anything do they, which restrict all the hot water you can use and stuff? Because I had a really nice en-suite room when I was in Southampton but they had the worst showers EVER, one second it would be boiling hot and then the next it would be freezing cold and if you kept fiddling with it for too long, it just got stuck on semi-cold. :frown:

Ah, that's okay, I'll take your word for it that I won't be holding everyone back with a nice long shower, I'm getting better though. And I'm guessing you're a guy? :s-smilie:

I'm in Willis Jackson. I think all of the Evelyn Gardens ones are of similar standard. I spend a lot of time in some Eastside halls and they all have ensuites so no shared bathrooms, but the ensuites are nice. Er, showers on my floor are pretty good.. can't comment about any other halls as the quality of our showering experience doesn't usually arise in conversation. But if your shower is broken or not working properly you can just send a moany email to maintenence and it will get fixed within a week. Our taps are getting replaced all the time in the kitchen because of drunken breakages.
Yeah I am a guy.. don't be fooled by the picture of Marina and the Diamonds in my profile.
Reply 345
Original post by taheki
I'm in Willis Jackson. I think all of the Evelyn Gardens ones are of similar standard. I spend a lot of time in some Eastside halls and they all have ensuites so no shared bathrooms, but the ensuites are nice. Er, showers on my floor are pretty good.. can't comment about any other halls as the quality of our showering experience doesn't usually arise in conversation. But if your shower is broken or not working properly you can just send a moany email to maintenence and it will get fixed within a week. Our taps are getting replaced all the time in the kitchen because of drunken breakages.
Yeah I am a guy.. don't be fooled by the picture of Marina and the Diamonds in my profile.

Word is that at some point they were considering selling Fisher out as residential care for old people, because of the fact that there's 38 years left on the lease and refurbishment "wasn't viable for such a short time"...? :/

Bernard Sunley and WJ seem to have the nicest shared rooms out of the Evelyn Gardens ones I've seen so far. If I get allocated a hall at EG, here's hoping I can persuade my dad that it's fine for me to get a bike or rollerblade to college (much as I love walking, I'll have late days)... :tongue:

Otherwise, there's always a shared at Prince's Gardens or Beit, which may be better if I end up working at the union bar. xD

You'll know this, Taheki...which is further - Evelyn Gardens or Sussex Gardens (Wilson)?
Yeah but nobody calls it ICL because ICL rhymes with UCL, like we want that! :rolleyes:
:teehee: - Apologies if you're a UCL fan!

I first thought it was Internet blah blah or something :colondollar:
Well, I rejected UCL over Imperial already, so I'll be joining you all this October!

Still considering options in accommodation. Currently I'm looking for an affordable twin bed or triple bed, as a single room can almost guarantee me being a shut off for the first few days :bricks:

I prefer a nice walk in a park before going to school, so further halls are more preferable for me.. Yep. But how is the journey if it's like... raining or snowing or pretty much any terrible weather? 20 mins under the storm with an umbrella doesn't sound like a good idea :s-smilie:
Original post by taheki

:rofl: Haha you're hilarious! :lol:
Right so according you Evelyn Gardens is a nice place to live in? Because Weeks amd Fisher are starting to become my favourites really.
Yeah I guessed you were a guy. Lack of emotion, not caring about how long your showers are usually means "male". Although not sure about Marina and the Diamonds but the little kitty in your avatar made it a bit ambiguous. I suppose the kitty does look a bit vicious...
Reply 348
southwell hall has a 42" surround sound tv, why would you go anywhere else in evlyn gardens!!
Reply 349
Original post by wrench22
southwell hall has a 42" surround sound tv, why would you go anywhere else in evlyn gardens!!

Cheapest single: 140 pounds

Basically, the price. :biggrin:

I woudn't watch TV anyway. My thoughts were to randomly set up an Xbox there, and invite people to play. :tongue:
Reply 350
Does anyone know why the standard twin and en suite twin rooms in Pembridge Hall cost practically the same? Seems really weird that you would only pay ~20p more per week for an ensuite :s-smilie:
Original post by Zottula
Does anyone know why the standard twin and en suite twin rooms in Pembridge Hall cost practically the same? Seems really weird that you would only pay ~20p more per week for an ensuite :s-smilie:

Probably because the ensuite rooms are smaller than the standard twin? Besides I'd reconsider Pembridge if I were you because transport costs will be quite substantial unless you're planning to walk 1 hour or something ridiculous every day. I'm going to die if I get put in Pembridge, Orient or Parsons. Apparently their not looked after by Imperial as well so you won't get nice housekeeping. :s-smilie:
Reply 352
Probably because the ensuite rooms are smaller than the standard twin? Besides I'd reconsider Pembridge if I were you because transport costs will be quite substantial unless you're planning to walk 1 hour or something ridiculous every day. I'm going to die if I get put in Pembridge, Orient or Parsons. Apparently their not looked after by Imperial as well so you won't get nice housekeeping. :s-smilie:

Oh well I'm not actually going to put Pembridge anyway. I've already picked my 5. I was just looking at everything because I may not get one of my 5 anyway. (If I did end up there I would walk. I'm not put off by walking long distances because I love walking :smile:)
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 353
Pembridge is only about a half hour walk away. Nothing to get stressed about and a good way of clearing your head before lectures after a night out! And it's in one of the coolest parts in London as well. You'll never ever get a room in Notting Hill(!!!) for ~120 pw. ever again.
Reply 354
Original post by Noise
Pembridge is only about a half hour walk away. Nothing to get stressed about and a good way of clearing your head before lectures after a night out! And it's in one of the coolest parts in London as well. You'll never ever get a room in Notting Hill(!!!) for ~120 pw. ever again.

Yeah I didn't think it was that far away. 30min walk is nothing.
Hey guys, sorry for asking a weird question...
I'm considering Garden now, but one thing that put me off is the lack of lift. As I'm aiming for its Triple room, does anyone know whether it's in on the first floor or not? If it is not then, I won't be putting Garden in one of my choices...
Thanks all
Reply 356
Original post by Yotterportan
Hey guys, sorry for asking a weird question...
I'm considering Garden now, but one thing that put me off is the lack of lift. As I'm aiming for its Triple room, does anyone know whether it's in on the first floor or not? If it is not then, I won't be putting Garden in one of my choices...
Thanks all

I'm aiming for a Garden triple too. But I'm sorry as I don't know whether it is on the first floor or not. Maybe you could email the accommodation peeps? They have 7 triple rooms at Garden, so chances are that they are spread out over the 5 floors.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 357
If you do choose to go for double an triple rooms, do you get matched with someone with a similar personality to you, or is it literally just pot luck who you get?
Reply 358
Original post by wrench22
If you do choose to go for double an triple rooms, do you get matched with someone with a similar personality to you, or is it literally just pot luck who you get?

They do try to match you.. so you need to make sure you write as much as possible in the box on your application. It appears that if you apply for a double then generally you do get a fairly good match, but if you apply for a single and end up in a double then they could easily be a complete opposite to you.

However, you have to apply for doubles and triples knowing that the chances of getting an EXACT match are absolutely impossible. The reality is that even the best of friends would get strained at times living in the same bedroom for a year. For example unless you both want to go to bed at exactly the same time each night, go on the same nights out and get in at the same time, you're going to get in each other's way sometimes. A couple of girls in the floor below me have to work around each other's sex lives as well sometimes; so one will move out into a neighbours room for a night if the other wants privacy.

That said, everyone I know who applied for a double and lives in one seems to like it and think it has a lot of benefits. There was a guy on my floor who didn't apply for his double and actually moved hall this term.. but obviously he was just desperate for a single (and his room mate was fecking weird).
Original post by taheki
They do try to match you.. so you need to make sure you write as much as possible in the box on your application. It appears that if you apply for a double then generally you do get a fairly good match, but if you apply for a single and end up in a double then they could easily be a complete opposite to you.

However, you have to apply for doubles and triples knowing that the chances of getting an EXACT match are absolutely impossible. The reality is that even the best of friends would get strained at times living in the same bedroom for a year. For example unless you both want to go to bed at exactly the same time each night, go on the same nights out and get in at the same time, you're going to get in each other's way sometimes. A couple of girls in the floor below me have to work around each other's sex lives as well sometimes; so one will move out into a neighbours room for a night if the other wants privacy.

That said, everyone I know who applied for a double and lives in one seems to like it and think it has a lot of benefits. There was a guy on my floor who didn't apply for his double and actually moved hall this term.. but obviously he was just desperate for a single (and his room mate was fecking weird).

So the weird guy has a double to himself for the whole year?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending