The Student Room Group

There is no excuse to be unemployed

On the news there was a man saying, 'the foreigners work for peanuts'. But they can only for minimum wage ffs, which the last time I checked was hardly peanuts.

These British people need a good kick up the backside to get a job.

Scroll to see replies

What jobs?
Except the recession and huge decline in available jobs....
Reply 3
I want to know what job pays in peanuts...
Jesus it's going to be hilarious when you finish your degree.
Reply 5
Original post by Nick1sHere
Except the recession and huge decline in available jobs....

Oh sod off. I got my current job that I really enjoy straight out of uni with little experience.

For the people who are long-term unemployed, there is a reason for it, and it's not just the recession.
Reply 6
The 'excuse' for being unemployed is often that they are worse off (after travelling to the job etc) working than if they were benefits.

While I don't agree with the welfare state I have absolutely no qualms with people who are financially better off on the dole than not working; it's about self preservation.

That said, there is work there if you are looking for it and it is a viable option. As much as I hate to use anecdotal evidence in my experience there is almost always a vacancy at a fast food restaurant that needs to be filled. The turnover of employees at places like McDonalds is incredibly high.
what jobs?
mind your own bleeding business! a close member of my family was made redundant, then refused his redundancy pay throwing everything into absolute choas. he has now applied to over 200 jobs in the last couple of months.
it ain't that f****** easy!!!!

(PS. no, he's not retarded, he was very well-paid before, has a s***-tonne of experience, and is VERY good at what he does, and has never had problems with jobs before, so people please don't rant that it's because people are too thick to get jobs. also fast food restaurants are not an option when you have a family to provide for and bills and tax and mortgages to pay, losing a job turns your life upside down, i don't know how people can be so anal about it. yes there are people who are too lazy to get jobs, but you shouldnt generalise it to everyone, because some people try damn hard and in this current climate it's not easy)
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by CapnHooch

circus elephant? :dontknow:
Reply 9
Original post by CameraGirl
what jobs?
mind your own bleeding business! a close member of my family was made redundant, then refused his redundancy pay throwing everything into absolute choas. he has now applied to over 200 jobs in the last couple of months.
it ain't that f****** easy!!!!

It is my bleeding business when I paid £600 tax in one month to support JSA.
To get a job, you need to be in the right place at the right time.

Some places don't even advertise vacancies.
Well I mean thats a great point besides the fact that we live in a country with an increasing population and a decreasing number of jobs up for grabs...
Reply 12
OP you are an ignorant fool. You're in for a shocking awakening when you go out into the real world now. Statistics show that the current unemployment figures are the highest they've been since 1995.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/10604117

It's not just about foreigners taking jobs, it's about there being less jobs even in existence.

And if you're out working already, consider yourself lucky. You can't base an assumtion like this on your own experience or even the experience of just the people you know.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 13
>2.5 million unemployed.

~400,000 jobs.

Do you need it explained in further detail?
Original post by Epic Apostate
circus elephant? :dontknow:

Its all buns nowadays, politikal currectnus gone mad.
Original post by Lassilsa

those people who really are too lasy to get off their arses and get a job, then yes, fair enough, they need a kick up the backside, but those who try damn hard to get jobs, to no avail, literally searching all day long and doing everything possible and going to interviews throughout the country. it's not really fair to tell them they need a kick up the backside to get a job.

also think yourself lucky you're earning money. for some people, that job seekers allowance is what pays for their food and helps just that little bit towards their life without a job, and believe me you don't get much JSA! try and think of it as helping out those less fortunate :wink: if everyone in the world was selfish then we'd be stuffed. try and think of it from the point of view of someone who is trying damn hard to get a job, genuinely, but to no avail, and what they would do if they had NO money coming in at all. JSA hardly compares to a salary now does it?
(edited 13 years ago)
Anybody can get a job in McDonalds or as a toilet cleaner for anywhere. The trouble lies in getting a job in the same field as your degree if you aren't somebody who has graduated from a "decent" university in accordance with league tables.
Reply 17
Original post by Lassilsa

So all your tax pays for jobseekers allowance does it?
Reply 18
Reply 19
Original post by CapnHooch

I want a job that pays in peanut brittle. :coma:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending