The Student Room Group

There is no excuse to be unemployed

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Lassilsa
It is my bleeding business when I paid £600 tax in one month to support JSA.

How much are you earning?

I earn around £400 a week, and I don't even pay half that amount.
Reply 21
Original post by johndoranglasgow
Well I mean thats a great point besides the fact that we live in a country with an increasing population and a decreasing number of jobs up for grabs...

Then why can't the grads take minimum wage jobs until a suitable vacancy arises? There are plenty of toilet-cleaning jobs available.
You're a SNOB.
Reply 23
Original post by Irrelevance
Anybody can get a job in McDonalds or as a toilet cleaner for anywhere. The trouble lies in getting a job in the same field as your degree if you aren't somebody who has graduated from a "decent" university in accordance with league tables.

I got rejected from McDonalds eight times :frown:
I work at Cooplands now though.. so.. cookies :colondollar:
Then why can't the grads take minimum wage jobs until a suitable vacancy arises? There are plenty of toilet-cleaning jobs available.

Because there are no vacancies?
I tell you what, I presume you have a job.
Find another one. Quit your job and go find another then come back and tell us all how easy it is out there on the job market.
'Cause I think you'll find mate, there's not a lot going out there.

+If I worked hard in uni for 4years+ then damn straight I wouldn't be cleaning f*cking toilets, let some of the arrogant little ****s that I was surrounded with in high school deal with that. I'll wait for something a bit more relative to how much effort I've put in to my life.
Oh sod off. I got my current job that I really enjoy straight out of uni with little experience.

For the people who are long-term unemployed, there is a reason for it, and it's not just the recession.

"There is no excuse to be unemployed"

"For the people who are long-term unemployed, there is a reason for it"
:doctor::lolz:
This is loltastic.
Original post by juliewho
I got rejected from McDonalds eight times :frown:
I work at Cooplands now though.. so.. cookies :colondollar:

You're making me look slightly foolish :shh:
Reply 28
It's not what you know...
What I hate is this assumption that everyone who is unemployed is a lazy **** caliming benefits and not bothering.
Yes, some people do that, and it's SO wrong... But there are also a hell of a lot of people who try their hardest to get a job, search everywhere and attend interview after interview and just never get one. Sometimes it's just bad luck for a long while.
There's a lot more unemployed people in our country than jobs available, do the maths...
Original post by CameraGirl
what jobs?
mind your own bleeding business! a close member of my family was made redundant, then refused his redundancy pay throwing everything into absolute choas. he has now applied to over 200 jobs in the last couple of months.
it ain't that f****** easy!!!!

(PS. no, he's not retarded, he was very well-paid before, has a s***-tonne of experience, and is VERY good at what he does, and has never had problems with jobs before, so people please don't rant that it's because people are too thick to get jobs. also fast food restaurants are not an option when you have a family to provide for and bills and tax and mortgages to pay, losing a job turns your life upside down, i don't know how people can be so anal about it. yes there are people who are too lazy to get jobs, but you shouldnt generalise it to everyone, because some people try damn hard and in this current climate it's not easy)

I pay mortgage, gas, electricity, mobile, phone, broadband, council tax, home insurance, car insurance, life insurance, petrol and food, and I earn £6 an hour, take home less than 10 grand a year after tax.

It's hard and stressful, but it can be done. Just saying.

is it even possible for you to be further up your own rear end?!
so you're saying that if you'd just created £30000+ debt doing a decent degree, you'd be satisfied cleaning toilets because selfish idiotic snobs like you think yourself so high and mighty and everyone else the scum of the earth?
Check this guys previous posts
Reply 33
On the news there was a man saying, 'the foreigners work for peanuts'. But they can only for minimum wage ffs, which the last time I checked was hardly peanuts.

These British people need a good kick up the backside to get a job.

I agree, people living in certain areas have no motivatiion nor do they like the fact that education gets them somewhere... and then they blame foreigns when they have bothered to become educated... people are getting lazy and its down to there families acting very lazy as well which passes down to them
Reply 34
Original post by Left Hand Drive
Check this guys previous posts

Precisely, "what my mummy and daddy pay in taxes shouldnt benefit the plebs."
Reply 35
Original post by Irrelevance
You're making me look slightly foolish :shh:

Point taken, :colondollar: everyone uses mcdonalds though, unoriginal! Waitressing jobs have a much higher turnover :redface:
Original post by flown_muse
I pay mortgage, gas, electricity, mobile, phone, broadband, council tax, home insurance, car insurance, life insurance, petrol and food, and I earn £6 an hour, take home less than 10 grand a year after tax.

It's hard and stressful, but it can be done. Just saying.

a lot harder when you're living the lifestyle of a family with combined income well over £100,000 and suddenly cut down to way less than half of that, with no redundancy pay, and no help. everything is suddenly thrown out of place, you have to move house, search the entire country for jobs. it up-ends your entire life. i'm not saying it can't be done, but trying to keep up the lifestyle you have even while trying to move/get a job, is not easy with no redundancy pay and everything you listed to pay for. it's stressful on a family too, when someone loses there job and everything gets a lot harder. especially when you have a son/daughter at university who suddenly has no money coming in because you can't provide it to them any more, and they don't get any loan because the circumstances change half way through the academic year.
Original post by CameraGirl
is it even possible for you to be further up your own rear end?!
so you're saying that if you'd just created £30000+ debt doing a decent degree, you'd be satisfied cleaning toilets because selfish idiotic snobs like you think yourself so high and mighty and everyone else the scum of the earth?

Good points, but I wouldn't give this ignorant individual (or troll) any more attention.
Reply 38
If you want to be a cleaner now you must have a) previous experience b) own transport c) CRB check

The last two cleaning jobs I took did not require that criteria. But in retrospect I wonder why I ever took them in the first place. They probably did more damage to my CV, and hence to the prospect of getting future employment, than the 4 year gap in work history I already have.
Original post by baffled_mathman
Good points, but I wouldn't give this ignorant individual (or troll) any more attention.

yeah i know, sensitive subject and i cannot stand the ignorance and snobbish behaviour of such selfish £$%*(^)£*%$^ :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending