The Student Room Group

Investment Banking provides no economic contribution

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Wenger
Private oil companies, car manufacturers... so this the product of investment banking? The destruction of resources, which took millions of years to develop. The increased likelihood of respiratory problems. Would you also like to merit the Mexican Gulf disaster?

You are clearly blinded by ignorance, and the materialistic world that surrounds you. You're life is governed by financial gain, hence your narrow-minded, defensive response, to justify working as an investment banker.

Gross Domestic Product measures nothing but the inflow of money from goods and services sold. Where is human progress or development measured? If you understand economics, you would not disregard sustainability so easily.

How about we add wind farms to the list. Are they bad? Or railway lines? Or anything that costs more money than people have lying around in their bank accounts.
Reply 21
Original post by Wenger
Private oil companies, car manufacturers... so this the product of investment banking? The destruction of resources, which took millions of years to develop. The increased likelihood of respiratory problems. Would you also like to merit the Mexican Gulf disaster?

You are clearly blinded by ignorance, and the materialistic world that surrounds you. You're life is governed by financial gain, hence your narrow-minded, defensive response, to justify working as an investment banker.

Gross Domestic Product measures nothing but the inflow of money from goods and services sold. Where is human progress or development measured? If you understand economics, you would not disregard sustainability so easily.

So you think that cars and energy haven't contributed to human development? What about pharmaceuticals? What about mass transportation? GM crops? What about anything capital intensive?

You really are very dumb. Go eat some courgettes, hug some trees and **** off. Alternatively, you could learn about what you're arguing against.
Take a walk through Canary Wharf and the Isle of Dogs, then look at the rest of East London-come on friend don't do this to me
troll or stupid. You complain about human progress then critisize industries that use natural resources and now you're saying investment bankers are detached from society. Are you high?
Reply 24
Original post by Wenger
I'm not advocating communism you ignorant fool. I'm emphasising the importance of human progress that isn't represented by corporate bankers, whom are the most corrupted people on the planet, completely detached from nature and human society.

And you know that how? Do you even know any investment bankers personally?
Reply 25
most efficient allocation of financial capital assuming any form of even quasi EMH
Reply 26
Of course it creates wealth. However its a bloody risky thing to base your economy on
Reply 27
Original post by Ironuts
So you think that cars and energy haven't contributed to human development? What about pharmaceuticals? What about mass transportation? GM crops? What about anything capital intensive?

You really are very dumb. Go eat some courgettes, hug some trees and **** off. Alternatively, you could learn about what you're arguing against.

In the long term, without a shadow of a doubt! We have consumed in 200 years,
2 million years of the earth's resources. And for what? Increases in GDP? Capitalism will fall on its ass in the next 50 years. So when the whole world becomes bankrupt, theres no-one left to bail out you're Goldman Sachs. Justice
You may not like it but the modern economy is practically founded on debt...

Banking brings in money - if you got rid of the bankers the top 10% of earners would all be trade unionists and "the head of the organic soil association" etc :p:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Wenger
Why do you feel it is correct that respect is measured upon your material, artificial wealth as opposed to meaningful indexes such as social contribution?

THIS THIS is what's the matter with the world today... everybody throwing around big words that don't actually mean anything specific like social contribution, social responsibility, environmental consciousness, blah blah etc...

this guy is even trying to make an index out of it...

what these word do is give an excuse to individuals or groups to say and do whatever the hell they want without any risk of public ridicule, because their continuous spewing of nonsense is done in the name of societal-enviro-eco-responsi-solidarity which apparently is something good...

Greed is not the best thing ever, but i'll take it over this bull**** any day of the week, this is just plain dangerous...
Original post by Wenger
I'm not advocating communism you ignorant fool. I'm emphasising the importance of human progress that isn't represented by corporate bankers, whom are the most corrupted people on the planet, completely detached from nature and human society.

Not a communist, but a typical pinko-leftist fool
Reply 31
Original post by Wenger
Can anybody justify the notion of becoming an investment banker. These people, who are possibly the most corrupted group of individuals on the planet, can only fulfill this role, because they lack any form of empathy for their fellow humans.

Investment Bankers quite simply manipulate debt and the money supply, in the name of profit and competition. They do no 'create' wealth, or anything that is of social value. Large company profits are merely the product of transferring numbers from one computer screen to another, at the expense of those that are riddled with debt. Yet, the most surprising, and mind-boggling fact of all, is that when it all goes horribly wrong, (2008 financial crisis), it is the honest, hard-working tax-payers, that contribute to society, are the ones to 'bail them out'.

To become an investment banker, is in absolute entirety, to work against the foundations of efficiency, sustainability and human progress!

They create more than 50% of a banks revenue... so it helps them to reinvest into the company and therefore help consumers...
OP, you speak utter ***** have you ever worked in an Investment bank? and know what they actually do? or are you one of those typical sheep followers blindly sprouting out rubbish about an industry you have no clue in....... this sub part of the Forum is here to advise people how to get into investment banking, so maybe you should take your left wing views somewhere else such as the independent and express your opinion there, or i suppose you could continue your iggnorance is rather tickling me.
Reply 33
Original post by x_muneeb_x
Investment banking does count in the gdp but however other things such for example buying and selling of shares do not count towards the gdp

the gdp is = C + G +I + (X-M).

Investment in economic which is a component is not what it is in accounting but different in economics. Something is only counted as an Investment if it produces something i.e plants and machinery.

Mate, you've mixed up GDP with aggregate demand. Don't do that in the as exam, you'll look a right muppet.
Reply 34
Original post by Iqbal007
They create more than 50% of a banks revenue... so it helps them to reinvest into the company and therefore help consumers...

Yay lots of trading in CDOs and CDSs produced loads of money! Oh no, it also created a stupidly unstable and unsustainable banking bubble which burst and kicked us all into a field of dense ****.
Reply 35
Original post by Acerbic
Yay lots of trading in CDOs and CDSs produced loads of money! Oh no, it also created a stupidly unstable and unsustainable banking bubble which burst and kicked us all into a field of dense ****.

Thats because of the banking system workign stupidity and capitalism... all the banks r tied in with eachother in a way... and insurance as well..for e.g. when bank a asks for money back from B, B gets it from C , C gets it from D and D gets it from A. Plus the actually fault was the subprime market in America, due to the worlds heavy links and reliance on the dollars there firms it caused a knock on effect. Its actually to subprime borrowers as these are high risk people so blame the America mortgage and lenders :smile:
Reply 36
It doesn't, it's basically a protectionist market that makes false profits.
Reply 37
Original post by Ironuts

Ho hum. The level which the above contribute to human development is very much subjective!!! And relies on a very skewed way of looking at total productivity of whatever capital intensive thing you are talking about.
Reply 38
IB is bad, even worse are the commercial wnaker, oops I mean bankers how could I get the 2 mixed up ?

Trade my ass.

IBs couldn't themselves out of a paper bag unless it was fixed.

jokers.

Cue: ....... the ubiquitous chip on the shoulder obligatory wannabe banker .

1.....2......3 Hah !
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 39
Original post by Iqbal007
Thats because of the banking system workign stupidity and capitalism... all the banks r tied in with eachother in a way... and insurance as well..for e.g. when bank a asks for money back from B, B gets it from C , C gets it from D and D gets it from A. Plus the actually fault was the subprime market in America, due to the worlds heavy links and reliance on the dollars there firms it caused a knock on effect. Its actually to subprime borrowers as these are high risk people so blame the America mortgage and lenders :smile:

CDOs and CDSs were the key ****-toys of sub-prime mortgages, which as you say were at the heart of the most recent crash, and are so often at the heart of financial crashes. So thanks for incoherently repeating what I already said. And I blame the bankers who lobbied for decades to remove regulatory bills like the Glass-Steagall act from american law. The banks were the makers of their own downfall, and the investment bankers were the greedy stooges running the floors and dousing the soon-to-be-burning house with oil.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending