The Student Room Group

Is David Cameron right that mass immigration has damaged communities?

Source.

Cameron also warned that immigrants unable to speak English or unwilling to integrate have created a "kind of discomfort and disjointedness" which has disrupted communities.

Is David Cameron right? Has mass immigration damaged communities?

Personally, I would say it depends. Some places demonstrate parallel communities and segregation; whereas, others are more of a melting pot. I think it depends on whether immigration to an area has been rapid or over a number of generations.

Scroll to see replies

I think this may be one of those awkward moments when David Cameron says something that actually might be right!
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 2
Perhaps
(edited 12 years ago)
Not gonna lie I loveeee my chicken chow mein on a friday night then chicken tikka masala on a saturday :smile:

Don't neg me if you can't handle a curry!!
(edited 12 years ago)
Yes
Definitely depends on the area. Coming from the Manchester area I'd say yes it has on the whole because there is far more segregation than integration, but then it's difficult to judge how much of a craphole it was before mass immigration.

Back in the 70s I think it worked because immigrant families had to adapt more but now they can just fit into readymade sub-towns. I guess I speak for Manchester only here.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 6
The answer is unequivocally yes.

I would genuinely love to have a debate with anyone foolish enough to suggest otherwise.
yes
mass immigration is a problem
but if you say anything about you're a bigot
Reply 8
The quote is exactly how I feel. When you live in a country, the bare minimum is that you atleast can speak the language- if you live in England, you should be able to speak English, even if you aren't a linguistic master. Some people live in such a closed community of immigrants that they never have the need to speak English, which imo is ruining our culture. If you can't speak the language, then you shouldn't be in that country. I think this applies to anywhere in the world aswell btw, I'm not being racist.

There was even this story a while ago about an elderly Indian woman who couldn't speak a word of English apart from the bare basics such as "Hello", "Thank you" and "Goodbye", and she'd been living here for many years. I just find that disrespectful; that she hasn't even tried to learn our language, yet she's living off of our country's resources.
Reply 9
Original post by Bobsyourteapots
Not gonna lie I loveeee my chicken chow mein on a friday night then chicken tikka masala on a saturday :smile:

We did'nt need three million immigrants to enter the uk in the past 5 years, to give you chicken tikka masala.

idiot
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Grund
There was even this story a while ago about an elderly Indian woman who couldn't speak a word of English apart from the bare basics such as "Hello", "Thank you" and "Goodbye", and she'd been living here for many years. I just find that disrespectful; that she hasn't even tried to learn our language, yet she's living off of our country's resources.

Know all about her personal circumstances, do you?
Reply 11
YES
Reply 12
Nigel Farage: Too many Eastern Europeans have entered Britain. If that isn't ****ing racist, I don't know what is.

Cameron has pretty much slagged off every hard working immigrant that has entered the UK. Whatever happened to his black friend who joined the navy after getting fed up with primary school? Obviously the big C has decided to disregard his ancestry, despite their offspring being so committed to the UK that they gave up years of education to join the Navy. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb why did he ever open his mouth dumb.
In some places yes.
On the whole I think to have a proper view on wether it is a problem you would need to do a study rather than make claims on anecdotal evidence.
Reply 14
Well, being from an area of London with large numbers of Asian sub-continental immigrants and increasing Eastern European immigration, I know more than a few local people who hold pretty negative views about immigration (the BNP even get a shout from some people where I live). However when I ask them why they are against it I can't pick out much apart from that they're just different from us. Particularly in the case of sub-continentals where a lot are first generation, they dislike the lack of integration from some immigrants.

But surely that has always been the case when a country or region has demographic change? I've always felt that a first generation immigrant can never be completely integrated into a new culture. I don't say this for xenophobic reasons or anything, but I can just imagine it being so difficult to drop the culture or way of life you were raised in and adapt to in some cases a completely new one.
(edited 12 years ago)
Reply 15
Yes it has. But the aim of immigration was probably never meant as a way to fill those jobs that Brits could not do/fill, but instead it was about changing the social landscape, to wedge chaos in communities, to break us up, to keep us fighting with one another over seemingly petty issues like religion and ethnicity. What was the aim? Order out of chaos? Was it is a social experiment? America has had plenty of those and so have we. Was mass imigration a social experiment? Moreover who said it has failed?
I agree with what Cameron said.

Furthermore, even if I didn't, I think it's about time someone took the lead on a debate the public want, and politicians continually shy away from. It is this which causes tensions to rise, and panders to the rhetoric of the BNP.
Of course it has. Anyone who would suggest otherwise is doubtless an airey-fairy middle-class liberal who has never seen the divisions in urbanised areas it has caused (Luton is probably the most obvious). Like him or not, DC is right in this instance.
Original post by Samrout
Nigel Farage: Too many Eastern Europeans have entered Britain. If that isn't ****ing racist, I don't know what is.

Cameron has pretty much slagged off every hard working immigrant that has entered the UK. Whatever happened to his black friend who joined the navy after getting fed up with primary school? Obviously the big C has decided to disregard his ancestry, despite their offspring being so committed to the UK that they gave up years of education to join the Navy. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb why did he ever open his mouth dumb.

I'd say it's more a comment on our ability to integrate immigrants than on the value of the immigrants themselves. I mean, if there was limitless space and everyone agreed with each others values it would be fine but clearly cultures have not mixed that well in this country.

From what I see day to day in my area multi-culturalism is pretty much a lie. Loads of immigrants do integrate but the fact there are so many that don't has damaged certain areas. I don't particularly expect them to integrate, if I could travel to a different country and earn more money and live with people speaking my language and selling my food I probably wouldn't bother either. I don't take it as a personal insult I just see the system on the whole as a failure.
He is too right! There isnt even enough jobs for British people! It has caused nothing but problems.

Quick Reply