The Student Room Group

Is David Cameron right that mass immigration has damaged communities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
hes right. britain is for british people and for immigrants who want to intergrate into british society, not create societies of their own. if they dont like british society or culture, dont come!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Grund
The quote is exactly how I feel. When you live in a country, the bare minimum is that you atleast can speak the language- if you live in England, you should be able to speak English, even if you aren't a linguistic master. Some people live in such a closed community of immigrants that they never have the need to speak English, which imo is ruining our culture. If you can't speak the language, then you shouldn't be in that country. I think this applies to anywhere in the world aswell btw, I'm not being racist.

There was even this story a while ago about an elderly Indian woman who couldn't speak a word of English apart from the bare basics such as "Hello", "Thank you" and "Goodbye", and she'd been living here for many years. I just find that disrespectful; that she hasn't even tried to learn our language, yet she's living off of our country's resources.

It's a lot harder to learn a language as you get older. Also, she has tried by saying words such as "hello" "Thank you" etc... There's also the factor that 20-30 years ago, there wasn't really any support to learn English in the first place(or you had to pay for it)

When immigrants first came to the country from the South Asian subcontinent, they originally went in to the textile industry and the goal was to provide for a family. To learn English may have meant that the family would go without food for a certain amount of days etc.. Now you see (immigrants) that learn English as there are facilities for them(free)

Also, it's very hypocritical of people to say that people from other countries haven't learnt the language, when you see ex-pats that will go to countries like Spain and live the rest of their lives out, without learning a word of Spanish, and then living in little England in Spain

Not to mention, it was the UK that happily took India's resources pre 1950
(edited 13 years ago)
nevermind
(edited 13 years ago)
If Cameron thinks the country is getting full, he can do us all a favour and leave, make space for someone who is going to do a hell of a lot more for the country than cutting it's vital services.
Reply 24
Original post by de_monies
It's a lot harder to learn a language as you get older. Also, she has tried by saying words such as "hello" "Thank you" etc... There's also the factor that 20-30 years ago, there wasn't really any support to learn English in the first place(or you had to pay for it)

When immigrants first came to the country from the South Asian subcontinent, they originally went in to the textile industry and the goal was to provide for a family. To learn English may have meant that the family would go without food for a certain amount of days etc.. Now you see (immigrants) that learn English as there are facilities for them(free)

Also, it's very hypocritical of people to say that people from other countries haven't learnt the language, when you see ex-pats that will go to countries like Spain and live the rest of their lives out, without learning a word of Spanish, and then living in little England in Spain

Then let the Spanish complain about that. Really what Individual British people do in other countries is hardly here nor there.
Reply 25
Original post by Left Hand Drive
nevermind

That's the best reply you could come up with.

Brilliant.
Reply 26
Original post by carlsberg
hes right. britain is for british people and for immigrants who want to intergrate british society, not create societies of their own. if they dont like british society or culture, dont come!

Precisely!

Britain needs to be a British state, just as Israel is a Jewish state. I don't want the cultures of Pakistan, Somalia, or anywhere else to establish themselves within the British culture. The British culture is quite simply better. If someone wants to come here and has a genuine reason to come here, then fine, but they have to adapt to BRITISH culture and to the Judeo-Christian and secular British-European values that we cherish.
Original post by WhuTom
Well, being from an area of London with large numbers of Asian sub-continental immigrants and increasing Eastern European immigration, I know more than a few local people who hold pretty negative views about immigration (the BNP even get a shout from some people where I live). However when I ask them why they are against it I can't pick out much apart from that they're just different from us. Particularly in the case of sub-continentals where a lot are first generation, they dislike the lack of integration from some immigrants.

But surely that has always been the case when a country or region has demographic change? I've always felt that a first generation immigrant can never be completely integrated into a new culture. I don't say this for xenophobic reasons or anything, but I can just imagine it being so difficult to drop the culture or way of life you were raised in and adapt to in some cases a completely new one.

That is what it comes down to I'd say.

Yes it is hard for immigrants to integrate and there is hardly the impetus either if you have a whole community and shops ready for you. I don't really see why immigrants would or should integrate. BUT my theory is people like to have a community they can understand easily because it feels safer. If you mix people up too much with nothing in common not even a shared language how does shared experience or trust develop?
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Aj12
Then let the Spanish complain about that. Really what Individual British people do in other countries is hardly here nor there.

What Im saying is, is that it's hypocritical of people to say that "Deym not learning our languages" when you have a lot of ex-pats within this country that go to live in other countries, without learning the language and not assimilating in to the native culture

Also, xenophobia/racism never really helped in the 60's did it
Well im from leicester and at the moment we are on the verge of being in the minority, it is 50-50 at the moment. but think we are going to be the first city. but you know what there is no problem here, everyone here speaks english and if they cant them im sure they will learn after being here! fair enough if there is no housing or room in the country he should lower the numbers. But he is not being fair when he says that its ruining communities, im working class btw! making issues like this, causes trouble, he should shut his big fat mouth. We get on fine!
What Im saying is, is that it's hypocritical of people to say that "Deym not learning our languages" when you have a lot of ex-pats within this country that go to live in other countries, without learning the language and not assimilating in to the native culture

Also, xenophobia/racism never really helped in the 60's did it

It's not really hypocritical as they personally (the poster) haven't moved to Spain and not bothered to learn the language.
Original post by Scottish
We did'nt need three million immigrants to enter the uk in the past 5 years, to give you chicken tikka masala.

idiot

You are the idiot as we do not know exactly how many immigrants are here. And they have been coming for more than three years.
Bigger idiot.
Reply 32
Original post by Bobsyourteapots
You are the idiot as we do not know exactly how many immigrants are here. And they have been coming for more than three years.
Bigger idiot.

It has been estimated at three million. And I meant to say 5 years. Obviously you think all these immigrants benefit us because you devour Curry and chow mein at the weekend.
Original post by sandraleicester
Well im from leicester and at the moment we are on the verge of being in the minority, it is 50-50 at the moment. but think we are going to be the first city. but you know what there is no problem here, everyone here speaks english and if they cant them im sure they will learn after being here! fair enough if there is no housing or room in the country he should lower the numbers. But he is not being fair when he says that its ruining communities, im working class btw! making issues like this, causes trouble, he should shut his big fat mouth. We get on fine!

Leicester is the exception to the rule among British cities. Besides, the Asian community here is largely second-generation and integrated because it's quite wealthy on the whole. There are serious problems elsewhere like in Peterborough and Birmingham. We need a moratorium on immigration for the time being until we've had time to adjust.
It has been estimated at three million. And I meant to say 5 years. Obviously you think all these immigrants benefit us because you devour Curry and chow mein at the weekend.

But what about immigrants from previous decades?
And if you actually asked I do believe immigrants HAVE benefited our society not only because of chinese and indian food. I also believe others have screwed us over in the system with fake visas/marriages and so on. There should have been more control over immigration but also within the EU.I don't agree that someone should come to live in any country and not have basic understanding of the language as well.
I'm proud to say i'm british but I have italian and irish roots and I'm also proud to say that I live in a diverse part of the country and I am respectful to all faiths and races due to my upbringing.
Reply 35
Also, it's very hypocritical of people to say that people from other countries haven't learnt the language, when you see ex-pats that will go to countries like Spain and live the rest of their lives out, without learning a word of Spanish, and then living in little England in Spain.

So, Bob from London is a hypocrite for raising a concern on immigrants not learning English because Bill from Birmingham - of whom he has never met, decides to emigrate to Spain and not learn Spanish?

Not to mention, it was the UK that happily took India's resources pre 1950

Red herring much? That's like saying mass immigration from the UK to Italy is justified because the Romans pillaged Britain's resources.
Reply 36
Original post by Bobsyourteapots
But what about immigrants from previous decades?
And if you actually asked I do believe immigrants HAVE benefited our society not only because of chinese and indian food. I also believe others have screwed us over in the system with fake visas/marriages and so on. There should have been more control over immigration but also within the EU.I don't agree that someone should come to live in any country and not have basic understanding of the language as well.
I'm proud to say i'm british but I have italian and irish roots and I'm also proud to say that I live in a diverse part of the country and I am respectful to all faiths and races due to my upbringing.

Thats not the issue though is it, you idiot. David Cameron is clearly speaking about rampant uncontrolled immigration in the past 5 years under Labour. Is that hard for you to understand ? Do you have difficulty in being able to understand that ?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
haha the PA Cameron has done it again, taking the pressure off him and his cabinet, when people were starting to notice that he is messing up the NHS and almost all nurses are against it, he has messed up higher education, now he is saying that he is surprised that almost all unis are charging maximum fee, the we are in this together is actually, me and my banker friends, we wont suffer, his economical policies are failing.. so what does our pm who is a good pa does, he takes of the attention by attacking immigration, because we all know its a problem, what a scam he is!!.. SHAME!!
Reply 38
Original post by Aphotic Cosmos
Leicester is the exception to the rule among British cities.

Why, out of interest?
Thats not the issue though is it, you idiot. David Cameron is clearly speaking about rampant uncontrolled immigration in the past 5 years under Labour. Is that hard for you to understand ? Do you have difficulty in being able to understand that ?

oh shut up. Everything he says bitches about labour. And I'm a politics student so i clearly understand it.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending