The Student Room Group

Taken Citalopram 20mg for the first time today...I don't feel myself...

Hello again TSR, it's the guy who had to take valium last night... :s-smilie:

I didn't want to try valium and citralopram together, so decided to take my citalopram 20mg today...this is the dose my doctor started me on...

I feel pretty chill, (kinda feels like a come down from ecstacy), but i'l be honest, i don't really feel right...

I don't feel myself....just a little humb and...distant (hard to describe tbh)

Is this normal?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Surely the point of these pills is to not feel yourself?
I had this when I started taking Citalopram, and sometimes I still do. It gets better though, but for me at least the side effects where pretty awful for a few weeks :s-smilie:
I don't think that citalopram works instantly... It takes two weeks or so to build up in your system, so I doubt it's the meds making you feel strange.
Reply 4
Original post by twist.the.illusion
I don't think that citalopram works instantly... It takes two weeks or so to build up in your system, so I doubt it's the meds making you feel strange.

Its definatly making me feel strange....:s-smilie:
Reply 5
Original post by *Dreaming*
I had this when I started taking Citalopram, and sometimes I still do. It gets better though, but for me at least the side effects where pretty awful for a few weeks :s-smilie:

were u able to stUDY?

I have exams coming up...:s-smilie:
Reply 6
You can get side effects in the first two weeks. Have you got a review with your doctor so you can go back in a week or two if you're feeling really bad?
Original post by freakingout!

I didn't want to try valium and citralopram together, so decided to take my citalopram 20mg today...this is the dose my doctor started me on...

I feel pretty chill, (kinda feels like a come down from ecstacy), but i'l be honest, i don't really feel right...

Is this normal?

Yeah that's normal, like a last poster said,it may take a week or so to build up to make you feel constantly better, but it will have some effect on you straight away. Keep at it anyway, as you're just getting used to it, it might make you feel a little ill at first, but it should settle and you should feel a bit more like 'yourself'.

But are you on them permentantly, or just when you need them? Because they are very,very addictive. I am on valium, but only for when I need it.
Reply 8
citaloprams awful :\ its really cheap for the nhs to prescribe to patients so its always the first thing they'll give you. if you know its not working dont get fobbed off by them putting your dose up and up. this is usually the case from my own personal experience and during nurse training x
Reply 9
Original post by hannah_dru
You can get side effects in the first two weeks. Have you got a review with your doctor so you can go back in a week or two if you're feeling really bad?

Yes he told me to book an appointment in 2 weeks, I forgot to do this, but will do tomorrow...

It's not a terribly bad feeling, but I can't see how im gonna get any work done and I feel really withdrawn...don't want to even speak to my family at all...:frown:
were u able to stUDY?

I have exams coming up...:s-smilie:

Yeah just about, but I found that they made me really tired, nauseous and headachy :s-smilie:
Reply 11
Original post by lucylove3
citaloprams awful :\ its really cheap for the nhs to prescribe to patients so its always the first thing they'll give you. if you know its not working dont get fobbed off by them putting your dose up and up. this is usually the case from my own personal experience and during nurse training x

They gave me pozac first, but I was waaaaay too scared to take it...

I asked for the citalopram because I thought it would be milder (I've heard some real horror stories regarding prozac).

But you are right, it does seem to be the first medication they give out (from my own research on the net).
Yes he told me to book an appointment in 2 weeks, I forgot to do this, but will do tomorrow...

It's not a terribly bad feeling, but I can't see how im gonna get any work done and I feel really withdrawn...don't want to even speak to my family at all...:frown:

If you're sure it's the tablets, then I'm afraid you've just gotta ride it out for a while. The doctor will get arsey and say "How do you know it didn't help when you didn't give it a chance", if you stop taking them.
Reply 13
Original post by lozzyhickers
Yeah that's normal, like a last poster said,it may take a week or so to build up to make you feel constantly better, but it will have some effect on you straight away. Keep at it anyway, as you're just getting used to it, it might make you feel a little ill at first, but it should settle and you should feel a bit more like 'yourself'.

But are you on them permentantly, or just when you need them? Because they are very,very addictive. I am on valium, but only for when I need it.

They gave me 6 valiums and said I should take it when I need it....but a maximum of 2 a day...I took one yesterday evening due to anxiety...

But the citalopram needs to be taken once a day...:frown:

Guys im not sure if i want to keep taking his stuff, it seems really bad for me tbh...

Good idea :smile: I had some AD's which I had bad reactions to.

Hopefully it might wear off after a few days.
I felt like I was high for the first day i took them. It dies down though over the week. Even tomorrow won't be as bad as today.
They gave me 6 valiums and said I should take it when I need it....but a maximum of 2 a day...I took one yesterday evening due to anxiety...

But the citalopram needs to be taken once a day...:frown:

Guys im not sure if i want to keep taking his stuff, it seems really bad for me tbh...

ok...well obviously you don't have to keep taking it, you can always go back to the doc and explain why.
And as for your post regarding Prozac, it's always worth a try, i've been on it for 4 years. Obviously it'll be different for everyone, but it's so, so much better than it was back in the 70s, where it got alot of bad press. What is it you're scared of, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 17
It's perfectly normal(ish) to feel like that for the first few weeks. I had similar experiences on amitriptyline/nortriptyline/gabapentin/epilim and a few others. Some people are just more sensitive to side effects than others. I'd feel incredibly out of touch with reality at times and not really understand what's going on around me. Slow in movement, speech was slurring and I couldn't remember much. It's quite freaky so I can relate to you being a little upset.

My only advice is to stop if you feel that you can't carry on. Side effects will usually disappear once you adjust to it, but that will take some time. Do you live on your own? If not, make sure whoever you live with is aware of how you feel so they can keep an eye out for you. But if you really are not comfortable taking it, seek GP advice ASAP.

On a lighter note... it can be quite funny. I remember whilst walking to the shops and I couldn't move my legs when I got half way. I was so embarrassed it was really funny. I was just standing there on the side of the road and I just couldn't move my legs at all! Other times I've felt like I was lifting off of the sofa and a lot of the time I'd just feel a bit stoned, chilled out and just laughing at stuff. Other times I'd be absolutely buzzing. Cheaper than alcohol anyway!
Reply 18

Is this normal?

what your experiencing is 100% PLACEBO EFFECT! citalopram takes at least 4 weeks to take effect!
Reply 19
Original post by Eveiebaby
I felt like I was high for the first day i took them. It dies down though over the week. Even tomorrow won't be as bad as today.

I really hope so! I don't want to be "high" everyday....

I will post back, im gonna go outside have a fag and a breather, because this is quite intense guys...my hands feel like jelly while I type, it's really odd....

Quick Reply

Latest