The Student Room Group

Latymer Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Aishie
Hey, thought I'd create this thread to see how it all goes
do you think you will pass the test or not?

also woodford county or latymer? :smile:

Hey, did you also get your letter today?
Reply 21
So who got in? (i didnt :frown: ) so good luck to anyone that did
Reply 22
Original post by N_young
So who got in? (i didnt :frown: ) so good luck to anyone that did

I dont really understand, i had a letter putting me on a waiting list, so if someone rejcts they're place, i have a good chance of getting in, but i didn't finish two of the sections due to the lack of time (im really slow in exams)

They also said if i dont hear by June the 8th, then i should send my results.....

So basically i did crap lol

Did anyone else get waitlisted?
Reply 23
Unlucky to anyone who didnt get in and well done to whoever got in but now that i got in i cant choose between Latymer or Broxboune. I live much nearer to Broxbourne and the area is good and Latymer's area is supposedly 'rough' so i hear and people are saying how 'cliquey' latymer can be.

Can't decide any ideas guys?
Reply 24
Original post by Robert17

Original post by Robert17
Unlucky to anyone who didnt get in and well done to whoever got in but now that i got in i cant choose between Latymer or Broxboune. I live much nearer to Broxbourne and the area is good and Latymer's area is supposedly 'rough' so i hear and people are saying how 'cliquey' latymer can be.

Can't decide any ideas guys?

I know someone who comes to Latymer from Cheshunt, and the train journey doesn't take long at all. I do see what you mean about it being cliquey, but that really depends on the kind of group you usually associate with; most of us would be more than willing to welcome a new friend into our ranks, whereas others might be less open to it. Do you know any people going to either school?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 25
Original post by und
I know someone who comes to Latymer from Cheshunt, and the train journey doesn't take long at all. I do see what you mean about it being cliquey, but that really depends on the kind of group you usually associate with; some of us would be more than willing to welcome a new friend into our ranks, whereas others might be less open to it. Do you know any people going to either school?

um i know people going broxbourne but so far i kow no one going latymer
Reply 26
Nah Latymer isn't that cliquey, unless you're talking about the cliquey types. The area is a bit of a ****-hole though... so it consider how you travel and whether you're likely to be staying late, etc.

Great school/sixth form, so glad I was there. But then I didn't really look anywhere else.
Reply 27

Original post by ennC
Nah Latymer isn't that cliquey, unless you're talking about the cliquey types.

Who would have ever thought that? :biggrin:
Reply 28
i got my letter today... i have a conditional offer so i need 6 As which i don't think will be a problem, and an A* in maths but i sat my maths GCSE last year and got an A* so... don't know if that will count as one of the six

but i don't know whether to stay at my current school or accept the place at latymer, i live about 10 minutes in the car from latymer compared to 45 minutes from my school at the moment, but i don't know anyone going to latymer so i'm completely stuck!

does anyone know the dress code for sixth form at latymer and what time the school day starts and finishes?
Reply 29
Original post by catherinem

does anyone know the dress code for sixth form at latymer and what time the school day starts and finishes?

There's no uniform in the sixth form, and I don't think it's very strict either. If you're a boy, then you have nothing to worry about. If you're a girl, you're not allowed jewellery, and mini-skirts aren't allowed in the lower years so I would assume they aren't in the Sixth Form either.

Registration is at 8:35, and the school day ends at 3:45. You're allowed to go home early if you have free periods, but I believe you have to be there for registration even if you don't have any lessons in the morning. If you decide to take part in a student protest - if one comes up - on a school day, then you'll be banned from leaving early indefinitely (silly governers!).

The day is split into 8 periods of 40 minutes each:

Registration - 8:35-8:50
Period 1 - 8:50-9:30
Period 2 - 9:30-10:10
Period 3 - 10:10-10:50
Break - 10:50-11:10
Period 4 - 11:10-11:50
Period 5 - 11:50-12:30
Lunch - 12:30-1:35
Registration - 1:35-1:45
Period 6 - 1:45-2:25
Period 7 - 2:25-3:05
Period 8 - 3:05-3:45

Hope that helps.
Reply 30
i got my letter today... i have a conditional offer so i need 6 As which i don't think will be a problem, and an A* in maths but i sat my maths GCSE last year and got an A* so... don't know if that will count as one of the six

but i don't know whether to stay at my current school or accept the place at latymer, i live about 10 minutes in the car from latymer compared to 45 minutes from my school at the moment, but i don't know anyone going to latymer so i'm completely stuck!

When I was there 2 years ago, you could wear anything. but not majorly dye your hair or show ridiculous amounts of flesh, pretty standard I'm guessing.

Used to start 8.35 to 3.45 I believe. But in sixth form there are plenty of free studies so once you get permission to do so you can end up starting later and finishing earlier so long as you don't have any classes.

Also, when I was there it seemed like the vast majority of people settled in quite easily. There's no "omg it's the new kids, let's point at them". Everyone's pretty welcoming and as long as you don't completely shut everyone out you'll be fine. I personally would hate to see somebody sitting in the corner of the room on their own, with no friends so efforts will always be made to reach out to even quieter people

Good luck
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 31
Original post by und
Who would have ever thought that? :biggrin:

:P
Reply 32

Original post by ennC
Used to start 8.35 to 3.45 I believe. But in sixth form there are plenty of free studies so once you get permission to do so you can end up starting later and finishing earlier so long as you don't have any classes.

Hmm.. Are you sure you can start later? Someone told me you had to be there for morning registration, but I may be wrong, as I'm not even in the Sixth Form yet - I'm edging closer and closer though :smile:.
Reply 33
Original post by und
Hmm.. Are you sure you can start later? Someone told me you had to be there for morning registration, but I may be wrong, as I'm not even in the Sixth Form yet - I'm edging closer and closer though :smile:.

Well I remember having to get permission if you had nothing on before lunch. Probably wasn't specific enough, sorry.

And anyway eventually teachers like Payney stop caring about permission, so long as someone tells him you have the morning off.

Oh Payney... is Sibbald still there :wink:
Reply 34

Original post by ennC
Well I remember having to get permission if you had nothing on before lunch. Probably wasn't specific enough, sorry.

And anyway eventually teachers like Payney stop caring about permission, so long as someone tells him you have the morning off.

Oh Payney... is Sibbald still there :wink:

Funny that you should mention that. She 'retired' about two weeks ago. She hasn't been here for months though - I feel sorry for the people who had to ensure her teaching for GCSE (having her in Year 9 was bad enough), but in the last two years she's had multiple mental breakdowns during lessons, or so people have told me. There were rumours going round that her crack addiction became too much for her :biggrin:.
Reply 35
Original post by und
Funny that you should mention that. She 'retired' about two weeks ago. She hasn't been here for months though - I feel sorry for the people who had to ensure her teaching for GCSE (having her in Year 9 was bad enough), but in the last two years she's had multiple mental breakdowns during lessons, or so people have told me. There were rumours going round that her crack addiction became too much for her :biggrin:.

Awwwwww :frown: That's really sad to hear..... Now that I think about it she was a little like that at times and she did drink something that definitely wasn't water out of a water bottle :P

But after having her for A-level physics and actually talking to her between lessons, she's actually quite a nice lady...

And we used to have that joke floating about too haha.

Seriously I hope she's ok :/
Reply 36

Original post by ennC
Awwwwww :frown: That's really sad to hear..... Now that I think about it she was a little like that at times and she did drink something that definitely wasn't water out of a water bottle :P

But after having her for A-level physics and actually talking to her between lessons, she's actually quite a nice lady...

And we used to have that joke floating about too haha.

Seriously I hope she's ok :/

I think the validity of those rumours can be questioned, but it's still a sad truth that she probably did leave due to health issues (either mental or phyical)...

Now that I think about it, I've seen worse teachers. Mr Robinson springs into mind - I'm glad I never had him. Then there's the wonderful Mme Ledu, who can't stand certain people in the class. It's funny to see her tell people off before they've even got everything out of their bags, for no reason whatsoever :biggrin:.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 37
Original post by und
I think the validity of those rumours can be questioned, but it's still a sad truth that she probably did leave due to health issues (either mental or phyical)...

Now that I think about it, I've seen worse teachers. Mr Robinson springs into mind - I'm glad I never had him. Then there's the wonderful Mme Ledu, who can't stand certain people in the class. It's funny to see her tell people off before they've even got everything out of their bags, for no reason whatsoever :biggrin:.

Demir, Davies, Pannell, McGregor (pahahaha), Neill. Will all always be legends in my heart

Oh and the bald(?), tubby middle aged physics technician. He was the coolest guy ever. Which reminds me, is EPS, engineering and physical sciences society, still going? I used to be co-head of it in year 13 :colone:
Reply 38

Original post by ennC
Demir, Davies, Pannell, McGregor (pahahaha), Neill. Will all always be legends in my heart

Oh and the bald(?), tubby middle aged physics technician. He was the coolest guy ever. Which reminds me, is EPS, engineering and physical sciences society, still going? I used to be co-head of it in year 13 :colone:

I don't know about EPS. I'm sure I would have heard of it, if it existed. Pannell is a legend! But he did tell someone off for doing A level work instead of past papers, which I don't agree with... Aren't you forgetting Berndes and Boden? You should have been there to hear the applause when (Clem?) Boden received an award in a whole school assembly!
Reply 39
It says on my letter that if you do 21st century science at GCSE (which I do) you may require additional reading... Does this mean I have to do extra reading in preparation for September? If so what books do I need? I checked out the website like the letter said but I couldnt actually find anywhere that mentioned extra reading :confused:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending