The Student Room Group

Additional Maths FSMQ harder than C1 and C2?

Am I the only person who finds Additional Maths past papers more challenging than C1 and 2 papers? I think it's because of the mix of M1, S1, D1 and C1 and 2, albeit none in great depth. I've self taught C1 and 2, and learnt the Additional Maths syllabus in class, yet I still find them easier.
Totally agree with you...plus the FSMQ is taken at the end of yr11 when a student is less mentally mature. At my school if we get a decent grade (C or above) is fsmq we can do the whole AS maths in the first term of yr12 and we took the exam the jan. It was a walk in the park every one bar 1 got an A grade most people above 90%.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by gunner4lyf44
Totally agree with you...plus the FSMQ is taken at the end of yr11 when a student is less mentally mature. At my school if we get a decent grade (C or above) is fsmq we can do the whole AS maths in the first term of yr12 and we took the exam the jan. It was a walk in the park every bar 1 got an A grade most people above 90%.

Well done on the AS results. However I meant purely in terms of conceptual difficulty, not the timing or any other factor.
Original post by ArsLongaVitaBrevis
Well done on the AS results. However I meant purely in terms of conceptual difficulty, not the timing or any other factor.

I have thought this exact thing, the concepts are indeed much easier in c1 and c2 but i wouldnt say fsmq is much harder.
Original post by Extricated
I have thought this exact thing, the concepts are indeed much easier in c1 and c2 but i wouldnt say fsmq is much harder.

Please don't think I'm an idiot, I wouldn't say either is particularly hard. I was just wondering if other people found it the same as me. I'm going to be awfully bored for the first term next year...
Please don't think I'm an idiot, I wouldn't say either is particularly hard. I was just wondering if other people found it the same as me. I'm going to be awfully bored for the first term next year...

In no way have i implied you are an idiot, in fact I agreed with your position. I just said it wasn't particularly hard because it isn't. I know you aren't an idiot, if your internet reputation concerns you that much.:rolleyes:
Original post by Extricated
In no way have i implied you are an idiot, in fact I agreed with your position. I just said it wasn't particularly hard because it isn't. I know you aren't an idiot, if your internet reputation concerns you that much.:rolleyes:

That was slightly unwarranted hostility wasn't it? I didn't say that you implied I was an idiot, I just realised the way I spoke about the first two core modules and the FSMQ as being "more difficult" than one another rather than "easier" than one another could have sounded as if I struggled with the FSMQ.
Am I the only person who finds Additional Maths past papers more challenging than C1 and 2 papers? I think it's because of the mix of M1, S1, D1 and C1 and 2, albeit none in great depth. I've self taught C1 and 2, and learnt the Additional Maths syllabus in class, yet I still find them easier.

I thought this as well. I agree that it is because it is a mix of some chapters of a module and some other chapters of different modules. It is probably because the C1 and C2 chapters are structured in a very logical order in ascending difficulty but the FSMQ chapters are a bit random (ish).

Oh yes that too, but i rekon that one pain in the ass question at AS is harder than the like question that will be on tye fsmq paper

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending