The Student Room Group

british man beaten to death by dubai police: why do brits even visit dubai?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Fusion
Why do Brazilians visit Britain?

this

RIP MENEZES
Reply 21
Original post by Miss_Scarlett
Nice use of the word "sozzard" not heard that one in a while :biggrin:

:biggrin: I haven't used it in like 5 years myself, it just came back to me watching an old video of me and my mates pratting around.
Reply 22
Original post by B-Man.
Because it is ****ing awesome. Also I am pretty sure this isn't a regular occurence. I've been there many times and the police haven't beaten the crap out of me. America on the other hand is notorious for police brutality, but that's a country run by white people so I am guessing you wouldn't want to deter people from going there right? It pisses me off that you call yourself human rights when you are clearly a racist.

NB: This is going by other posts and not this one alone.

a british man has been beaten to death by one of the worlds most brutal, barbaric and repressive police forces and you play the white card!!!!!!!!

what planet are you people on.
Reply 23
Original post by humanrights
a british man has been beaten to death by one of the worlds most brutal, barbaric and repressive police forces and you play the white card!!!!!!!!

what planet are you people on.

What the hell is the white card?
im fairly sure LOADS of brits live in dubai?lol?**** happens.everywhere.get used to it.
Reply 25
AUSTRALIAN WOMAN GANG RAPED IN DUBAI JAILED FOR ADULTERY

http://www.eutimes.net/2011/03/australian-woman-raped-in-uae-jailed-for-8-months-for-complaining-to-police/

A Queensland woman spent eight months in a United Arab Emirates jail for adultery after complaining to police about being drugged and raped by co-workers.

Alicia Gali, 29, yesterday detailed her harrowing ordeal after filing a Queensland lawsuit against the five-star international resort where the attack allegedly took place in 2008.

Warning other women against going to the UAE, Ms Gali said she endured eight months in a crowded prison room with up to 30 other women after she complained to authorities of being raped.

“These countries don’t have the same laws as us. You can end up in serious trouble,” she said.

Apart from her family, no one in Australia knew Ms Gali had been jailed for adultery and illegal drinking, because Australian embassy staff advised her and her family not to go to the media.

“It was just traumatising,” she said.

“Everything that happened was the worst thing that somebody could go through.”

“You’re just totally alone in a foreign country, with no assistance from your employer or the embassy.”

Ms Gali, a salon manager at the resort, said she had been in the staff bar, where she was told she could legally drink, when another employee put ice in her drink.

She said it was the last thing she remembered before waking the next day in her room with painful injuries.

“I didn’t know what had happened. I was traumatised, I felt ill. I didn’t even remember getting there or what had happened,” Ms Gali said.

She said it was only when she took herself to hospital did she realise she had been sexually assaulted.

Later she learned she had been heard screaming and security guards had found men hiding in her room, where she was naked and unconscious.

When she was discharged from hospital she was asked to go to a police station to make a statement and then speak in front of a judge.

“I realised when I was put in a police car that I was being taken to jail.”

Ms Gali said she was never warned by her UAE employers that she could be charged with adultery and face prison if she complained of being raped, without having four adult male Muslim witnesses.

“I didn’t even know what the charges were until five months into my sentence,” Ms Gali said.

Three of the men Ms Gali claimed sexually abused her were jailed, but for adultery and not rape.

After serving eight months of a 12-month sentence, Ms Gali was pardoned and released and flew home in March 2009.

Since then she has been treated for post traumatic stress disorder, suffered claustrophobia and flashbacks.

“I felt depressed, angry and confused,” she said.

“I was the victim. I’d had something wrong done to me and I was being punished.”

Law firm Maurice Blackburn on Thursday filed a damages claim in the Supreme Court in Brisbane, alleging Ms Gali’s employer failed to warn her of the risk of being drugged, raped, charged with adultery and jailed if she complained.

Solicitor Melissa Payne said it was a complex legal case and they would consult experts in UAE law.

HORRIBLE COUNTRY, HORRIBLE CULTURE, HORRIBLE PEOPLE
(edited 13 years ago)
It's not as bad as British tabloids make it out to be. This story is certainly horrific, but it is not the norm over there. I would know, my parents are from there and I stay 6 weeks over there every summer.

I'm sure we can all take exceptional extreme cases from all countries, Britain, America etc. where it can seem like it's just as bad.

The law over there is very strict, officially that is. By which I mean, on the face of it they present these strict laws but in reality 99% of the time the police look past it. Only if it's a public ordeal or something really serious that they start to implement their laws because they have to set an example and have no choice but to act if the crime is a big public spectacle.

I do hope that the British embassy in Dubai pushes for justice to be served to the police men and others involved in this appalling act.
Reply 27
Original post by Panda Vinnie
It's not as bad as British tabloids make it out to be. This story is certainly horrific, but it is not the norm over there. I would know, my parents are from there and I stay 6 weeks over there every summer.

I'm sure we can all take exceptional extreme cases from all countries, Britain, America etc. where it can seem like it's just as bad.

The law over there is very strict, officially that is. By which I mean, on the face of it they present these strict laws but in reality 99% of the time the police look past it. Only if it's a public ordeal or something really serious that they start to implement their laws because they have to set an example and have no choice but to act if the crime is a big public spectacle.

I do hope that the British embassy in Dubai pushes for justice to be served to the police men and others involved in this appalling act.

Look at what I posted above. Arab culture is certainly the most vile, barbaric and primitive culture in the world.
Reply 28
Original post by Scottish
Look at what I posted above. Arab culture is certainly the most vile, barbaric and primitive culture in the world.

Oh, what do you know about Arab culture? Seriously STFU.
Reply 29
Eugh, and people complain about our Police force? If I was his family I'd be demanding the Consulut did something about this injustice.

I did look and chose to ignore it because it seemed to have come from a delusional gelatinous tapeworm.

They dont give a ****.

Continue living on state welfare or whatever with a life of mediocrity ahead of you while those *primitive* Arabs continue to live on earthly paradise.
I did look and chose to ignore it because it seemed to have come from a delusional gelatinous tapeworm.

:rofl:
Reply 33
Original post by Steevee
Eugh, and people complain about our Police force? If I was his family I'd be demanding the Consulut did something about this injustice.

Now that this has gotten world-wide media attention the Dubai authorities will be forced to take action. It's one of the few times I am glad their punishments are so harsh. Those animals deserve it.

"The Consul General has spoken directly to the Dubai police at the highest level on a number of times to stress the importance of a full investigation.

"The police have assured us that they are investigating and we are remaining in close touch with them."

Source
Reply 34
Because it's a nice place to visit?
Original post by HumanNature1992
:rofl:

LOL I know you know where I got that from :biggrin: Y2J :woo:
Reply 36
To see Myleene Klass and indulge themselves in the tacky architecture.
LOL I know you know where I got that from :biggrin: Y2J :woo:

Panda Vinnie, you and I are in sync :tongue:

NO HOMO ha!
Reply 38
Original post by Electronica
The closet racist is always the one that brings it up.. :rolleyes:

If I descibed a black person as black I bet you that he wouldn't be the one that was offended. You sir, are a racist.

Also, because police in America are brutal this makes it ok for police in Dubai to be brutal? Because only the worst country in the world should be blamed shouldn't it...

Idiot.

What the **** are you on about?!
There is no proof he was beaten to death yet. He choked on his own vomit apparently- we'll find out after the investigation what has happened.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending