University of Essex for Economics?????

Rank 37 out of 100. (In the UK)
Reply 42
university of sheffield for economics?
Reply 43
Original post by *Hakz*

Original post by *Hakz*
University of Essex for Economics?????

So even if your university is good for the particular subject and it ranks high for that, the only thing that matters is the overall ranking rather than subject ranking?
Reply 44
But why would you want to?

Do you not like seeing your family or friends?
No, you do not need to. I know PLENTY of people in front office positions who did not go to the requisite university.

However, it does help to have gone to a target, it makes getting in easier.

Unfortunately, the industry does tend to churn people out very quickly. Many of my friends left in droves after 2 years citing boredom, mundane work, ridiculous work practices and wanting to do something more interesting/fun as reasons.
Reply 46
Not easy, but possible..... one thing to note is each graduate placement at an IB receives hundreds if not thousands of applicants, hence it's an employers market.
Reply 47
What do people think of Leicester uni in terms of prestige and job prospects in that sort of field.
thanks!
one thing to remember about this guy who retired at 28...
he graduated in 2000, a 2:1 was worth alot more back then
Reply 49
Original post by CityTrader
Guys, bear in mind people that get into the top 6, and want to go into IB, don't think you are guarenteed place! people who are truly motivated and show real flaire can also obtain FO jobs I know a person who got a BA economics degree at manchester - no contacts - straight to a FO trader role at goldman sachs then moved to jp morgan to head up thier prop desks, 7 years later and he was retired at the age of 28!

Anton Kreil?

He is like one in a million..and do you actually "know" him?

Also, things have changed - that was ages ago, when it was easier to get in from a non-target uni.

EDIT: Woops sorry just read the rest of the thread!
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by CityTrader
If I retierd at 28 I dont think I would spend my life doing degrees! lol, I would rather just party and enjoy life...

Did the guy had a mental breakdown and decided to live in the cave, away from the human beings?:biggrin:
Reply 51
Original post by dsa
What do people think of Leicester uni in terms of prestige and job prospects in that sort of field.
thanks!

Very slim chances; but if you're exceptional and the kind of person who can do better than everyone else on your economics course, then you do have a shot.
Reply 52
Original post by infernalcradle
simply put....no

you need to go to to a target uni to be within a shout....

however if you have work exp, solid ECs and a solid degree (1st IMO), there is no reason you wouldn't have a chance....

but then there is also the issue of UCAS point filters....as many will not even look at you if you have less than about 300 point...

What is an EC?
Manchester
Oxford
Cambridge
LSE
Imperial
UCL
Bristol
Nottingham
Durham
Bath
Warwick
Birmingham
Shefield
Edinburgh
KCL

I got this list from a secret source at a bulge bracket bank, these are their target universities:rolleyes: The main point I got from this person was a good degree from Oxford, Cambridge and LSE will almost certainly get you an interview if you meet the other requirements. However, if you go to any of the others you have to show you have a real interest in the area and have the right attributes. Now, once you get to the interview stage you are on your own; even if you've graduated from Oxford with a first in Mathematics you will not get the job if the interviewer doesn't 'click' with you.

So, if you don't go to the three mentioned you have to try even harder to make yourself stand out, if you don't go to the top 15 mentioned then damn you have to be a real gem. These are the top Universities in the UK, so it is likely they will have the best graduates. They also said that rankings are absolutely useless, employers know what the top universities are for their sector, regardless of what others think. They said do well in your subject, do research on the bank and the industry and most importantly be yourself at the interview, when doing graduate interviews it is easy to tell who is being themselves and who is being fake. I hope this helps some, it has helped me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by FallOnDeathsEars
Manchester
Oxford
Cambridge
LSE
Imperial
UCL
Bristol
Nottingham
Durham
Bath
Warwick
Birmingham
Shefield
Edinburgh
KCL

I got this list from a secret source at a bulge bracket bank, these are their target universities:rolleyes: The main point I got from this person was a good degree from Oxford, Cambridge and LSE will almost certainly get you an interview if you meet the other requirements. However, if you go to any of the others you have to show you have a real interest in the area and have the right attributes. Now, once you get to the interview stage you are on your own; even if you've graduated from Oxford with a first in Mathematics you will not get the job if the interviewer doesn't 'click' with you.

So, if you don't go to the three mentioned you have to try even harder to make yourself stand out, if you don't go to the top 15 mentioned then damn you have to be a real gem. These are the top Universities in the UK, so it is likely they will have the best graduates. They also said that rankings are absolutely useless, employers know what the top universities are for their sector, regardless of what others think. They said do well in your subject, do research on the bank and the industry and most importantly be yourself at the interview, when doing graduate interviews it is easy to tell who is being themselves and who is being fake. I hope this helps some, it has helped me.

Thanks for the list, but would move Warwick up that list.

The SW applications show it should be number 4 on that list really. I can see LSE being overtaken for IB by Warwick in the next few years, controversial but just my opinion.
Reply 55
Original post by FallOnDeathsEars
Manchester
Oxford
Cambridge
LSE
Imperial
UCL
Bristol
Nottingham
Durham
Bath
Warwick
Birmingham
Shefield
Edinburgh
KCL

did their list only compose of uk uni's? Or did you edit it for the sake of this thread. I was just curious what kind of internationals ones were rated, besides Bocconi etc
Reply 56
(edited 11 years ago)
In reply to the OP, I go to a non target uni, and received 2 internship offers and withdrew from one final interview for this summer. If i had listened to the people that say only bother trying if you go to uni x, y or z, then i wouldn't have got anywhere. I don't have any experience with regard to IB, but for markets you can get in.

My advice is to get relevant work experience, no matter how short or insignificant it may seem. After you catch someone's eye with your CV and get an interview, it's all down to you.
Reply 58
You have to relinquish your soul. That's all I know.
Reply 59
Original post by malteser12345
Would KCL qualify as one of the 'top 6'? I'm doing maths at KCL with the hope of becoming an investment banker after graduation.

kcl is far from being top 6, but maths at kcl is better, IMO, than say management at a target like Warwick. But that's how the system is

Latest

Trending

Trending