The Student Room Group

Taken Citalopram 20mg for the first time today...I don't feel myself...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Embers:)
what your experiencing is 100% PLACEBO EFFECT! citalopram takes at least 4 weeks to take effect!

No this is definatly not placebo, I've experimented with illegal drugs a few years back in my college days...I know when im feeling different...

I definatly feel different...

maybe it akes 4 weeks to feel better? But it's definatly having an effect, and I can't say i feel happy....just really really really weird....and a bit scared tbh :redface:
Original post by freakingout!
I really hope so! I don't want to be "high" everyday....

I will post back, im gonna go outside have a fag and a breather, because this is quite intense guys...my hands feel like jelly while I type, it's really odd....

Enjoy it. It's a legal high for today :wink:. I felt like it was slightly hallucinogenic and a bit stoned feeling. At least you're not at work like I was! lol

It WILL calm down, so just think of it as a free high for now.

You wont get the lift in your depression for a few weeks. What you are experiencing now are the side effects.
Its likely to be a placebo effect - any SSRI's (and likely any other anti-depressants) take at the minimufm 2 weeks for any physical effect.
1st day I took citalopram I just felt nauseous and had a dry mouth.

Though some people do react like this to the medication. Its normal. Different people react to meds in different ways
(edited 13 years ago)
I always feel better when you're around.

:tongue:

What you're feeling is normal, lucky you don't feel nauseous as that tends to be the biggest immediate complaint I've read about and experienced with citalopram. It will wear off possibly as soon as in a few days, but you may get other side effects such as headaches and nausea on top of this seeing as you're just starting. If the effect isn't too bad try to keep taking it because it will probably wear off, if it is that bad however go back to your GP and ask to try something else, they all have different effects on different people.

The important thing is try not to freak out about it, stay calm, maybe take some time off revision until you're more used to the drug as starting anything new is going to have side effects. Do something you enjoy to take your mind off things.
Reply 24
Original post by Sabertooth
:tongue:

What you're feeling is normal, lucky you don't feel nauseous as that tends to be the biggest immediate complaint I've read about and experienced with citalopram. It will wear off possibly as soon as in a few days, but you may get other side effects such as headaches and nausea on top of this seeing as you're just starting. If the effect isn't too bad try to keep taking it because it will probably wear off, if it is that bad however go back to your GP and ask to try something else, they all have different effects on different people.

The important thing is try not to freak out about it, stay calm, maybe take some time off revision until you're more used to the drug as starting anything new is going to have side effects. Do something you enjoy to take your mind off things.

Sabertooth, im feeling quite sick and nautious mate, propper freaking out for some reason (gotta love the irony)....is it safe to take another valium while im feeling like this!? I still have 5 left, I haven't taken one yet today...will it take the edge off and let me sleep?

I feel crazy...
Reply 25
Even if sabertooth isn't around, if anyone else knows it it's ok please tell me...

I checked the net and people say it's ok, but there usually crazy drug forums that use this stuff recreationally (how can this be fun I don't know)
Reply 26
I feel like im on mdma, except I don't want to dance...
Even if sabertooth isn't around, if anyone else knows it it's ok please tell me...

I checked the net and people say it's ok, but there usually crazy drug forums that use this stuff recreationally (how can this be fun I don't know)

It's fine. I felt strange when I started taking them about a year ago and it made me so nauseous that I couldn't stay awake during the day at all. I eventually ended up being switched to Paroxetine 40mg over time, I don't get any side effects with those. You'll be ok, the side effects wear off eventually.

One major side effect of drugs like that, bizarrely, is excessive daytime yawning ... so look out for that and don't panic if you feel like you want to sleep all the time!

Phone NHS Direct if you're worried, I'm sure they'll be able to tell you.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by superwolf
Phone NHS Direct if you're worried, I'm sure they'll be able to tell you.

Are they still open?
(edited 13 years ago)
Are they still open?

Yep.
Reply 31
I hate to say it, and I don't mean to be patronising, but I call placebo effect.

One 20mg tablet is not enough to be feeling significant effects....
Sabertooth, im feeling quite sick and nautious mate, propper freaking out for some reason (gotta love the irony)....is it safe to take another valium while im feeling like this!? I still have 5 left, I haven't taken one yet today...will it take the edge off and let me sleep?

I feel crazy...

I've taken diazepam when on antidepressants and I've seen a lot of accounts of it on the net so it should be ok, but I'm not a doctor or pharmacist so I can't answer for certain. I think superwolf's idea of calling NHS direct is a really good idea.

Or perhaps you could try going to sleep? See how you feel in the morning. And remember, try to stay calm. Good luck, hope you feel better soon.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by superwolf

Cheers mate, I spoke to them, and they are ringing me back in 45!

This is not placebo trust me, I've experianced illegal drugs before, I know when im in an altered state...
Original post by andy5788
I hate to say it, and I don't mean to be patronising, but I call placebo effect.

One 20mg tablet is not enough to be feeling significant effects....

Not necessarily (though it is possible). I've been on a few antidepressants, and while some of them took a while to give me side effects, with a couple I felt them right from the first day. Not to worry the OP, but these were ones which I reacted badly to and had to be taken off of.
I feel like im on mdma, except I don't want to dance...

From reading this thread it sounds like the way you're feeling could be partially to do with the anti depressants and partially to do with your anxiety which you mentioned. Your anxiety has got you really worked up about what may have been just a very small feeling of weirdness. Whatever usually helps you to relax try that now, and try to get to sleep. Even if it takes you several more hours to sleep just try to relax and not think about the drugs. However if you wake up still like this tomorrow then that is probably the time to go see your doctor :smile: Hope you feel alright soon!
Reply 36
Original post by Sabertooth
I've taken diazepam when on antidepressants and I've seen a lot of accounts of it on the net so it should be ok, but I'm not a doctor or pharmacist so I can't answer for certain. I think superwolf's idea of calling NHS direct is a really good idea.

Or perhaps you could try going to sleep? See how you feel in the morning. And remember, try to stay calm. Good luck, hope you feel better soon.

I assume you were on the anti-depressants for a while before you took the diazepam?

im just worried because obviously i have a really low tolerance as its my first tablet...and i've only taken valium once before, so my tolerance to that will be pretty low also...

I don't want to combine them both and then die in my sleep/go off the rails...:s-smilie:
Reply 37
Original post by pippa90
From reading this thread it sounds like the way you're feeling could be partially to do with the anti depressants and partially to do with your anxiety which you mentioned. Your anxiety has got you really worked up about what may have been just a very small feeling of weirdness. Whatever usually helps you to relax try that now, and try to get to sleep. Even if it takes you several more hours to sleep just try to relax and not think about the drugs. However if you wake up still like this tomorrow then that is probably the time to go see your doctor :smile: Hope you feel alright soon!

Just reading your message has made me feel calmer...

I do definatly feel weird, but your 100% correct, im probably making myself more anxious/worried...

SuperWolf, thanks for backing me up mate, there's definatly no way this is placebo, and im glad im not the only person in the wrld that's feeling weird from day 1...

The woman I spoke to on NHS (a nurse is calling me bk in 30) said that she couldn't understand why the doc started me off on 20mg, she said that even in severe cases of depression/anxiety, it's best to start little, in order to reduce the side effects,,,

I have a feeling that doctor yesterday was a douchebag...:frown:
I assume you were on the anti-depressants for a while before you took the diazepam?

im just worried because obviously i have a really low tolerance as its my first tablet...and i've only taken valium once before, so my tolerance to that will be pretty low also...

I don't want to combine them both and then die in my sleep/go off the rails...:s-smilie:

Yeah that's true, I was. I don't think you'll die, citalopram requires pretty high dosages for proper overdose, so even if you're new to it I'd imagine you're well within the safety margin (again, I'm not a doctor). The big one with valium is not to drink alcohol. I think your best bet is wait for them to call you back, is there anything you can do to try to minimize your anxiety while you're waiting? Online games, videos, maybe go make a cup of tea or something like that. If you just sit there worrying then your anxiety might get a lot more out of control which is never good. :console:
Been reading through this thread and I'm not really sure why people are bashing citalopram so much. I've been on for a number of years and I feel it's helped me. I do think it's milder than other ssris because when I switched to sertraline a few years back it really didn't suit me, but then again different people will react differently. I have been on 40mg for most of the time I've been taking it though and even when I was on 60mg I wasn't having many side effects.

Quick Reply

Latest