The Student Room Group

Useful phrases in Passive voice???

Can anyone come up with some phrases that might be useful for AS German writing in the passive voice????
Please help!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
What type of things do you have to write about?
Reply 2
Original post by hannah_dru
What type of things do you have to write about?

A lot of things!
Television, Advertising, Communication,
Fashion, Films, Music,
Sport, Healthy Living, Hollidays,
Family, Friends, Relationships!

Its with AQA if that helps! I just want to have some useful phrases that could be used for some of them! I don't mind what topic its for!
Original post by studentccs
A lot of things!
Television, Advertising, Communication,
Fashion, Films, Music,
Sport, Healthy Living, Hollidays,
Family, Friends, Relationships!

Its with AQA if that helps! I just want to have some useful phrases that could be used for some of them! I don't mind what topic its for!

I've got some!! *bounces* Also doing AQA, freaking out over speaking exam, hope to god I don't get into the room and forget EVERYTHING...

Jugendliche werden von ihren Freunden beeinflussen - Teenagers are influenced by their friends. Very useful for healthy living.

What have you chosen for your chosen topic, i.e. the first part of the general conversation?
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by .snowflake.
I've got some!! *bounces* Also doing AQA, freaking out over speaking exam, hope to god I don't get into the room and forget EVERYTHING...

Jugendliche werden von ihren Freunden beeinflussen - Teenagers are influenced by their friends. Very useful for healthy living.

What have you chosen for your chosen topic, i.e. the first part of the general conversation?

Jugendliche werden von ihren Freunden beeinflusst :smile:

There's lots of things you could say really, most things can be turned into the passive voice. Will try and rack my brain for more general things but off the top of my head-

Es wird gesagt, dass Rauchen ungesund sei- It's said that smoking is unhealthy.
Die Sendung/die Werbung wird von erstellt ...- The programme/advert is produced by...
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 5

Am doing Sport! I know am so nervous! German is so hard! My teacher said its the hardest language, especially the grammar section! Am trying to learn my orals, but its so difficult!
Am doing Sport! I know am so nervous! German is so hard! My teacher said its the hardest language, especially the grammar section! Am trying to learn my orals, but its so difficult!

I speak german fluently, if you need help i can translate for you. :biggrin:
Reply 7
Fluent German speaker here too.

Oooft. You're brave. That's the sub topic I've begged my teacher to not make me discuss;and it's not in his interests to make me do so. With the stimulus card, make sure you expand your answers for, at the very least the last two Q's on the card. Don't sound too rehursed, otherwise you get punished for it in interaction, and try and sound like you're enjoying it, i.e. don't be monotone. Make sure you know how to do the past tense, its something that gets mentioned in examiners reports, like, every year.

:smile:

Original post by darkxangel
:smile:

Can either of you two lovely ladies explain what on earth particles do/ how they're used. I get they're words like doch, ja and so on.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Can either of you two lovely ladies explain what on earth particles do/ how they're used. I get they're words like doch, ja and so on.

They're basically used for emphasis for a particular part of a sentence, so if you say "Es ist aber sehr kalt hier" then you're emphasising that it's really cold.
Doch is quite a genius one because you can just use it on it's own to argue against someone's point.
Germans tend to just stick them in anywhere and practically everywhere :biggrin:
Fluent German speaker here too.

What's the neg for? Only trying to be helpful and I am fluent- I worked as a translator in Germany.
What's the neg for? Only trying to be helpful and I am fluent- I worked as a translator in Germany.

this, I lived in Germany for 12 yrs - i wasn't trying to brag or anything.

Neither am I...

Die Sendung/die Werbung wird erstellt von...- The programme/advert is produced by...

Shouldn't the "erstellt" come last? Just checking to make sure I understand it properly. :smile:
Original post by Gaeilgeoir
Shouldn't the "erstellt" come last? Just checking to make sure I understand it properly. :smile:

Yes, sorry, will go back and edit it. *spaz moment*

You're both right. Rep to you both to make up for it. :tongue:
Deutsch macht Spass!
Original post by Gaeilgeoir
You're both right. Rep to you both to make up for it. :tongue:
Deutsch macht Spass!

Thanks, repped you back :smile:
Da hast du Recht!
They're basically used for emphasis for a particular part of a sentence, so if you say "Es ist aber sehr kalt hier" then you're emphasising that it's really cold.
Doch is quite a genius one because you can just use it on it's own to argue against someone's point.
Germans tend to just stick them in anywhere and practically everywhere :biggrin:

Right, so you just stick them in before the thing you want to emphasise? So 'Koma-Trinken ist doch ein sehr groesses Problem in England'. Doch emphasises the fact that its a big problem.
Right, so you just stick them in before the thing you want to emphasise? So 'Koma-Trinken ist doch ein sehr groesses Problem in England'. Doch emphasises the fact that its a big problem.

I think doch would only work in that case if the person you were talking to had said that it isn't, because doch is usually used to argue against something. Particles are those sorts of things that according to my dissertation supervisor, take years to understand. This might help cos I'm not the best person at explaining things.
Ah.. so it doesnt work in that context. nvm.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending