The Student Room Group

13inch or 15inch macbook pro

Scroll to see replies

Audacity is an audio editor, not a DAW. You obviously don't know the difference.

"Better sound hardware"? Really? Care to explain? (this should be interesting)
Original post by Fallen
Do you know which precise model number they used for their HDDs? If I remember they use a 5400rpm Seagate?
You can easily pick up a new 500GB Seagate for under £40, and whilst keeping the other 320GB HDD.

180GB is not worth £40.
I am all for Apple products. The base models are reasonable priced.
But the second you try to upgrade they try to steal your first born child. It isn't so bad here, but if I remember correctly it used to be something like £80 for a 2GB memory module, and their SSDs...

They use this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/153103

It's a 500gb 7200rpm Seagate momentus. That's the cheapest you can find it ATM, Amazon has it for 1p more.

Edit: I'd agree, but in order to be correct you'd somehow have to be able to expand your HD capacity without changing the disk! :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
LOL

You really know **** all do you? Do you really think ANY recording studio uses internal sound cards? http://www.proaudioeurope.com/index.php?id=22&catId=15 educate yourself. The majority of those products are Mac only.

Most of those DAW's you list are for electronic music production and 3 of them are for DJ'ing and almost all are low-level entry products, not to mention the majority of those programs also run on Mac's natively. The standard is Pro tools, which is both Mac and PC compatible. Do you know the difference in stability between ASIO (pc) and core audio (mac)? Or Midi latency. There's a reason all studios moved over to Apple.

Edit: 3DS? You're citing one single CAD product as a reason for PC being superior? :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 103
Original post by winter_mute
They use this:

http://www.ebuyer.com/product/153103

It's a 500gb 7200rpm Seagate momentus. That's the cheapest you can find it ATM, Amazon has it for 1p more.

Edit: I'd agree, but in order to be correct you'd somehow have to be able to expand your HD capacity without changing the disk! :smile:

Oh, I was under the mistaken impression they still used the 5400rpm model!
My bad!

Yeah well, you pretty much void any Apply warranty by using the damn thing :rolleyes:
Original post by Fallen
Oh, I was under the mistaken impression they still used the 5400rpm model!
My bad!

Yeah well, you pretty much void any Apply warranty by using the damn thing :rolleyes:

In MBP's you can change the RAM and HD's yourself without voiding the warranty. If you open up the rest of the case and start poking around with the logic board, that's a different story! :tongue:
Reply 105
In MBP's you can change the RAM and HD's yourself without voiding the warranty. If you open up the rest of the case and start poking around with the logic board, that's a different story! :tongue:

Oh my G...!

I really need to stop talking. I swear it used to void the warranty?
But, having just read the thing, you are indeed (as expected) correct.
Original post by Fallen
Oh my G...!

I really need to stop talking. I swear it used to void the warranty?
But, having just read the thing, you are indeed (as expected) correct.

It depends on the computer. The Imac's used to be voidable if you changed the ram, but now they use pop-out slots like the old white (pre unibody) macbooks use. As a general rule those 2 components are swappable without voiding the warranty. The only exception is the Macbook air as the SSD and RAM are soldiered onto the logic board.

Genius's like to use the "We can't fix your Mac if it has 3rd party **** in it". I never used that line when I worked there, because it's *******s (unless it actually is the 3rd's partys fault.) So hold onto your old components in case they do.

Sadly Genius's have to toe the line, if your too generous you get **** on from a great height. Unlike managers who are told to be as generous as possible. So if you ever have a problem, ask to speak to a manager and raise hell. I've seen someone get upgraded from a faulty Imac to a Mac Pro (8 core) and a Apple display :eek:
Reply 107
It depends on the computer. The Imac's used to be voidable if you changed the ram, but now they use pop-out slots like the old white (pre unibody) macbooks use. As a general rule those 2 components are swappable without voiding the warranty. The only exception is the Macbook air as the SSD and RAM are soldiered onto the logic board.

Genius's like to use the "We can't fix your Mac if it has 3rd party **** in it". I never used that line when I worked there, because it's *******s (unless it actually is the 3rd's partys fault.) So hold onto your old components in case they do.

Sadly Genius's have to toe the line, if your too generous you get **** on from a great height. Unlike managers who are told to be as generous as possible. So if you ever have a problem, ask to speak to a manager and raise hell. I've seen someone get upgraded from a faulty Imac to a Mac Pro (8 core) and a Apple display :eek:

I don't use Macs anyway :tongue:

I like the things, but I would just boot up Windows and Linux most of the time anyway, plus the 17" Pro is more expensive than I would care to spend.
Toying with the idea of getting an Air at some point, but waiting for the next update and see how much money I earn between now and then.

P.s. I want a Mac Pro. You can keep the screen as payment! :biggrin:
The Apogee card is used by Dre and most of the American Hip-hop community.

Am I really going to have to spell out why server workstations are superior in an environment where you're through-putting Gigabytes per second. Or where you have to use long real-time renders?

Most audio plugins and apps come out later for PC because Window's audio capabilities are much, much inferior. http://www.soundonsound.com/sos/jul07/articles/pcmusician_0707.htm Nothing's improved since then.

As for the list, it's ridiculous for you to ask me to find mac only software on pc only software. Logic is second biggest DAW and is Mac only, along with Digital performer (which is arguably the biggest in America after Pro Tools).

Like it or not, Mac's dominate the creative field and for good reason.
Original post by Fallen
I don't use Macs anyway :tongue:

I like the things, but I would just boot up Windows and Linux most of the time anyway, plus the 17" Pro is more expensive than I would care to spend.
Toying with the idea of getting an Air at some point, but waiting for the next update and see how much money I earn between now and then.

P.s. I want a Mac Pro. You can keep the screen as payment! :biggrin:

This should silence all the nay sayers in this thread.

I bought a 8 core mac pro in 2008 for £1500. It broke down twice (Apple picked it up and returned it for free). It broke down for a third time, and they gave me a 2010 12 core for free. That's over a £2,500 price difference! :smile:

Ps. At the time those xeon CPU chips cost £500 each. So It wasn't overpriced at all.
Why the hell are you asking the same question over and over. I'm assuming you have allusions to be a game designer/developer one day. I have friends who work in (and I've visited) Microsoft in Cambridge, Rebellion in Oxford and Lionhead. Guess what? They all use a blend of Macs and PC. You bang on about 3Ds, but how's Maya doing for Mac? Very well. Go to the sound design department, how many guys there use PC? Unless they themselves want it, it'll almost always be Apple computers.

You make very little sense in all of your posts, and quite clearly have no actual industry knowledge of what you're talking about. Go out and actually work and then we'll talk. :smile: (That's if there are any game studios left in this country by then)
I thought a 13" would be far too small but now I can't imagine it any other way. It's 'just right' any smaller would be an issue, but 13" is fine :smile:
Reply 112
15 inch deffo better than the 13inch esp for university, my brother has the 13inch and it is too small! Make sure you use educational discount - that is how I got my macbook cheaply!
Original post by Palladium
15 inch deffo better than the 13inch esp for university, my brother has the 13inch and it is too small! Make sure you use educational discount - that is how I got my macbook cheaply!

With the price difference, you could get a 13" and a 24" screen for your room. If you don't need the 2 extra cores/higher spec graphics card, then you'll save money going for the 13"

I agree with you though, I don't think I could go back to a 13", we'll see.
i have a 13 inch first gen aluminium macbook and i can use it fine for 5-6 hours, if i was getting another macbook i would probably go for the 13 inch with the i7 processor, the only problem i can see is the shared graphics whereas the 15 inch has dedicated graphics
Reply 115
Okay, so screen real estate aside (I'm more than happy to use external monitors, and would be with either model) what are the benefits of the extra cores and the dedicated graphics card?

I'm going to uni to study film production in September, and so hopefully will get a mac book pro. I just don't know which model to purchase/ save up for. (Obviously the 15" will take me a lot longer to save up for.)
The newest 13" MBP's don't have a dedicated GPU, so for anything gaming its going to struggle a lot more than the 15" MBP. If you don't do anything graphically demanding the 13" is going to be more practical and more of a joy to carry around. Coming from a Windows laptop and once you get around OSX, you'll enjoy both regardless.
Will you be using Terminal?
Are you going to utilise the Unix architecture?

Unless you answer 'YES' to both then I would recommend to buy any other laptop and use the spare money to buy a massive warranty and some extra software.

Original post by MrMagicMushroom
The newest 13" MBP's don't have a dedicated GPU, so for anything gaming its going to struggle a lot more than the 15" MBP. If you don't do anything graphically demanding the 13" is going to be more practical and more of a joy to carry around. Coming from a Windows laptop and once you get around OSX, you'll enjoy both regardless.

Why would you even try to game on a Mac?! :confused:
(edited 13 years ago)
just move your eyes closer to the smaller one and spend the money saved on something nice
Reply 119
Original post by catsss
If you're a gamer I wouldn't recommend getting a Mac. You can't play most newly released games on it.

Yeah I guess so, but he plays online games which it is definitely better for

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending