The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I dont understand all this stuff about "multiculturalism isnt working" as if there was some step by step plan as to how it would work rather then just encouraging a load of people from commonwealth countries to come over and fill the labour shortage after the war?

Unless you move to Southall, I wouldnt worry about being a minority any time soon. After 60 years of quite heavy immigration, white brits still make up something like 90% of the country so all this talk about being a minority is somewhat unfounded in my eyes.

Perhaps one problem is indeed integration. However it must be somewhat patronizing for different communities to be told that the reason that original ethnic communities like those in places like the east end and brixton exist purely because of the hostility people from commonwealth countries faced when they were originally invited over here. Now that doesnt take all the culpability off them, but I find it hard to comprehend why people with racist and intolerant attitudes then moan about these people not integrating whilst also expecting them to abandon nearly all traces of their previous identity?
Reply 181
The original poster asked specifically about a genetically identifiable group i.e. white, rather than about what appears on ones passport i.e. nationality. Reading the replies it is clear that many here do not identify themselves particularly closely with their genetic ancestry. It is not, to be fair, an approved thing to do in modern society so this is not surprising. However, there are people who do identify with their ancestral roots and do care about its status within the world. It is really just a matter of personal preference and choice.
Those that want to preserve their racial heritage know that it is easier to achieve if their citizenry is segregated from other populations in the world, hence they are less likely to welcome high, or even any, immigration. However, any given society is made up of liberals and conservatives and the decision about border control in a democratic society is determined by the concerns of the majority.
Since the conservatives do not command the majority in this country they are not able to segregate communities as they would like. Some people in the past have achieved segregation of groups by force but even if this was achievable - and in my view it is not - the resultant community is inclined to deteriorate genetically because the more ambitious and intelligent members of such societies usually do everything they can to escape such oppression, thereby either destroying that society or leaving it with a rump of the less intelligent and less ambitious which over time will degrade the genetic stock.
Nevertheless, in a free society everyone - conservative or liberal - is free to choose with whom they procreate. The long term survival of any racial characteristic within the human population depends in part upon the personal choices people make; if the racial characteristic of whiteness does not matter enough to people it will disappear over time now that the racial populations evolved over millennia have come back together. There is no right or wrong in this since “nature” does not care. However, given humanity is able to exercise free choice, conservatives could preserve the racial characteristic of whiteness if enough of them want to.
All racial groups are destined to reduce as a percentage of the overall population because racial heritage can only be preserved if one hundred percent of people in any ancestral line procreate within their racial group, which isn’t going to happen. However, as the numbers of each distinct racial group (i.e. white Negro and Asian) declines, my guess is that the concern for its survival will increase just as we care about tigers and polar bears more when they face extinction than when they were plentiful.
So my guess is that in the very long term, hundreds of years, there will be relatively few people around who have a pure white ancestry. However, since their forebears will have been more likely to have been conservative in the matter of racial mixing, hence that individual’s existence, the whites that remain will be likely to be conservative themselves. This, together with the fact that people value their ancestry more when they feel themselves to be in a minority, will probably ensure the survival of a relatively small population of whites. Of course this also applies to the other racial groups but for historical reasons these groups are likely to survive in greater numbers for longer.
Preservation, when arising from non-segregated personal choice, as opposed to segregation, should not result in genetic degradation.
Is it desirable to preserve ones racial group, does it matter if any of the races survive? The answer is it matters to some and not others; it is really just a matter of your values and preferences. In a free and liberal society in which peoples personal choices are their own affair as long as they do not restrict the choices and freedom of others, preservation of the kind I am talking of is, in my opinion, no ones business but the people making those choices.
For my part, I would like to see the continued existence of all races. In the very long term, when the vast majority of the world’s population is of mixed race and any single racially identifiable group cannot be perceived as a threat, I think such racial heritage will be seen as of value and people will strive to ensure it persists just as people try to ensure the continued existence of indigenous Indians in South America. Romans did not value artefacts in their daily life as we value those artefacts; it is a fact of life that something is only ever seen as worth preserving when it has almost gone. I’m prepared to bet that it is not just whites, Negroes or Asians of the future that value their genetic heritage but everyone, unfortunately I don’t think I’ll be around to collect my winnings.
Original post by Theconomist
Being British is about driving a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then traveling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

This statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Looks like colonisation backfires a few decades after most countries become independent.

The smartest people in England are foreigners(just look at Oxbridge's recent Ph.D grads).
The richest people in England are foreigners.
The most beautiful people in England are foreigners.

Foreigners hold the top private sector jobs.
Foreigners are buying up your country one corporation at a time:
Wether it is Harrods or Manchester City,Bentley or Cadbury.

What happened?

Clearly all those years of free for all jobs aren't working for the british population.

I'm not being racist or anything but the day white british citizens will be a minority in THEIR own country will be a sad day.

(I live in a country like that altough the circumstances are different).

Who failed?

the politicians?

the people?

colonial ancestors?

Oh and don't get me wrong, the same is happening in countries such as France,Germany,Spain,Italy and the United States altough none is as rapid and sudden as in England.

What a shame.

Multiculturalism isn't working as intended unfortunately.

The british people are the ones being assimilated into the African,South east asian and east european cultures that are springing up in all areas of Britain.

Here is a question to all the white british people with a british ancestry.

What does being british mean to you in 2011?

Please refrain from trolling/coming up with witty answers in hope that those reading them will be impressed.

I'm geniunely interested in hearing both sides of the spectrum.

I think its a shame too, and I'm originally paki. I love the british culture as it was in 18th centuary you know the walks and the language and the clothes. Like in Jane Austen. But it's all gone now.

I think it's the people that we have to blame because everyone was so keen on rebeling and doing what the hell they wanted and getting stoned. The rich culture just vaporised. It's sad to lose a nation. What's happened is what happens when you have all these pretty colours red blue yellow green orange and you wonder what'll happen if you mix it all up. And it turns horrid and boring.

I don't think we can blame imigrants either, its the lazy brits, if all them people from other countries can do all this stuff why cant they?

It is 100% possible to be hospitable without losing your identity.
wait a minute seen as everything you said as not 'being British'
define British to me.
Original post by Theconomist
Being British is about driving a German car to an Irish pub for a Belgian beer, then traveling home, grabbing an Indian curry or a Turkish kebab on the way, to sit on Swedish furniture and watch American shows on a Japanese TV.

This statement couldn't be further from the truth.

Looks like colonisation backfires a few decades after most countries become independent.

The smartest people in England are foreigners(just look at Oxbridge's recent Ph.D grads).
The richest people in England are foreigners.
The most beautiful people in England are foreigners.

Foreigners hold the top private sector jobs.
Foreigners are buying up your country one corporation at a time:
Wether it is Harrods or Manchester City,Bentley or Cadbury.

What happened?

Clearly all those years of free for all jobs aren't working for the british population.

I'm not being racist or anything but the day white british citizens will be a minority in THEIR own country will be a sad day.

(I live in a country like that altough the circumstances are different).

Who failed?

the politicians?

the people?

colonial ancestors?

Oh and don't get me wrong, the same is happening in countries such as France,Germany,Spain,Italy and the United States altough none is as rapid and sudden as in England.

What a shame.

Multiculturalism isn't working as intended unfortunately.

The british people are the ones being assimilated into the African,South east asian and east european cultures that are springing up in all areas of Britain.

Here is a question to all the white british people with a british ancestry.

What does being british mean to you in 2011?

Please refrain from trolling/coming up with witty answers in hope that those reading them will be impressed.

I'm geniunely interested in hearing both sides of the spectrum.

Surely this applies to most of the developed world too. It is natural (and always has been natural) that smart people will be attracted to the best universities, businesses etc, regardless of where they come from. And considering that a lot of money comes from oil-filled dictatorships and foriegn aristocracies, its unsurprising.

This is what happens when you have a nation that cant detach itself from its 18th century class system.
Original post by Destroyviruses
I think its a shame too, and I'm originally paki. I love the british culture as it was in 18th centuary you know the walks and the language and the clothes. Like in Jane Austen. But it's all gone now.

I think it's the people that we have to blame because everyone was so keen on rebeling and doing what the hell they wanted and getting stoned. The rich culture just vaporised. It's sad to lose a nation. What's happened is what happens when you have all these pretty colours red blue yellow green orange and you wonder what'll happen if you mix it all up. And it turns horrid and boring.

I don't think we can blame imigrants either, its the lazy brits, if all them people from other countries can do all this stuff why cant they?

It is 100% possible to be hospitable without losing your identity.

This analysis makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
It was actually the perpetuation of a completely archaic class system that had pioneered in the eighteenth century that bear a remarkable resemblence to the problems of today.
Britishness is only "dead" in large towns and cities where it's so multi-cultural you don't realise you're even in Britain anymore. Britishness is very much alive in small villages and towns. I only noticed that when I left the city and went to a small village myself.
Original post by Phantom_X
This analysis makes absolutely no sense whatsoever.
It was actually the perpetuation of a completely archaic class system that had pioneered in the eighteenth century that bear a remarkable resemblence to the problems of today.

I'm not good with histroy, all I know about the 18th centuary is whats in jane austen. I meant to refer to the britishness of it all. Not the other stuff.
Reply 188
Original post by Liquidus Zeromus
cultural schizophrenia.
so you are defning anyone with morethan one cultural background as mentally ill.

in your definition thats most of britain.

rubbish.
I've yet to understand exactly when the Britishness people keep harking back to actually existed or why, even if it did, it would be desirable to recapture was essentally an class stratified society which was, for a majority of people, pretty damn misrable. Social norms and cultures change and evolve constantly-there is no such thing as single 'British' culture or identity. All the great movements we now look back on as fantastic and cornerstones of our culture where, at the time, rebellious, shocking and reactions to the modern world. The Romantics where a reaction to the staid norms of their time and the industrial revoloution-Blakes 'Songs' and Coleridge/Wordworths 'lyrical ballards' where revolotionary for their time while Turner painting landscapes was a reaction to the teradition portrature and focus on the classics.. The realism of Austen and her decision to write about real life was a reaction to the worship of the classics, sentimental novels and 'historical' fiction of the 17th Centuary. Dickens was a revoloutionary with his focus on the poor. Wilde shocked and appalled late victorian society through his extravagence. Waugh critiqued upper class society and predicted its demise. Orwell was a revoloutionary who forght in the Spanish civil war. The Beatles were 'dangerious' and were influenced by American and Black influances. Punk was revoloutionary... etc. etc.

You could go on for ever with these examples but I think I've made my point-the 'British' or 'English' culture that many hark back to never really existed and cultures constantly change. What we see today as dangerious immigration and cultural changes today will be the founding stone of our nation tomorrow.
Original post by Gizmo!
so you are defning anyone with morethan one cultural background as mentally ill.

in your definition thats most of britain.

rubbish.

Haha no, I'm applying that label to the nation's culture. Not people.
Reply 191
It's moral decay. This is the reason why the English are bringing up generations of failures.
Reply 192
to be fair London is a mess of a city anyway. When i get the chance i'm straight out of this sesspit.

i don't think it's fair to move to a place and declare that you are of that nationality, you originate from your parents and so on.

"So i move to Samoa with my "English" wife, then i have kids who say they are Samoan because they live there." - you see how stupid it sounds!

ah well. You can't expect to be a sucessful country and and expect no one to want to migrate here better living conditions etc. People are always gonna be jumping on the bandwagon.

Give it next generation or so when China is on form, you'll notice the amount of "Chinese nationals" rise waaaay up.
I have it on good authority that if just 20 per cent of the british people made a concious effort to buy only goods produced in britain, by british companies, with british owners the economy would turn around COMPLETELY, our debt would be irrelevant and easy to pay.

Self sufficiency is paramount, and i'm not talking about sustaining yourself on homegrown goods, i'm talking about the self sufficiency of communities, i'm talking about giving money to your neighbours instead of greedy corporations and shareholders, i'm talking about being prepared to pay more, travel a little a further to support your country and your people.

next time you are about to eat mcdonald's, get a coffee at starbucks etc please remind yourself what a traitor you are.
Original post by the realist
next time you are about to eat mcdonald's, get a coffee at starbucks etc please remind yourself what a traitor you are.

How are you being a traitor when these companies will have to pay British taxes, considering they have shops set up in the UK?
Original post by the realist
I have it on good authority that if just 20 per cent of the british people made a concious effort to buy only goods produced in britain, by british companies, with british owners the economy would turn around COMPLETELY, our debt would be irrelevant and easy to pay.

Self sufficiency is paramount, and i'm not talking about sustaining yourself on homegrown goods, i'm talking about the self sufficiency of communities, i'm talking about giving money to your neighbours instead of greedy corporations and shareholders, i'm talking about being prepared to pay more, travel a little a further to support your country and your people.

They're traitors? So we become extremely protectionist and guess what other countries will do? Tesco (Without a doubt one of Britain's most successful companies) will start to decline overseas. The worlds largest miltary contractor of defence, security and aerospace (BAE systems) would start to decline. You'd be essentially pushing our multinational corporations out of international markets.

And do you honestly believe we have enough land in this country to make enough food for us?
Also, do you realise that foreign investment is good for a country and not bad? - hence why Uganda loves China at the minute
Original post by de_monies
How are you being a traitor when these companies will have to pay British taxes, considering they have shops set up in the UK?

i think we all know what a joke these corporation taxes are, and even if they are paying them, and paying them in full, our economy would still benefit a lot more if these companies were british.

Bare in mind that these are junk corporations, it's not like producing a hamburger of cup of coffee requires great feats of engineering or research like occurs for instance in the american drugs or semiconducter industries, in some respects and industries foreign products can definately be superior, although we should still aim to be competitive in those fields.

I don't see any good reason at all why we should be consuming american burgers and american coffee for instance, shopping at american owned supermarkets etc.
Original post by Welsh_insomniac
They're traitors? So we become extremely protectionist and guess what other countries will do? Tesco (Without a doubt one of Britain's most successful companies) will start to decline overseas. The worlds largest miltary contractor of defence, security and aerospace (BAE systems) would start to decline. You'd be essentially pushing our multinational corporations out of international markets.

And do you honestly believe we have enough land in this country to make enough food for us?

You spelt Lockhheed Martin wrong. Remind me who we are buying trident from?

Also people making informed decisions about what products to buy is not protectionism, get that out of your head. If people consider a product superior because it is british, thats a valid reason for purchasing it, thats just a market force if you will. You wouldn't need the foreign investment in certain industries if we had enough british investment. The money would stay in the uk.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by de_monies
Also, do you realise that foreign investment is good for a country and not bad? - hence why Uganda loves China at the minute

Well we are not Uganda thank you and clearly there are a lot of things they are not capable of themselves, we are more comparable to china in this equation except without 50+ million excess men and a massive peasant underclass to send abroad.

You want to go work in Uganda?

no?....yh i suggest you leave that to the chinese then.

Latest