The Student Room Group

Dating a Catholic???

Scroll to see replies

Original post by shinytoy
omg dudes

Spoiler

Wow.

Okay, so assuming this is serious:

No, not all devout Catholics date only to get married. My other half and I have been together for getting on four years. No plans to get married yet. Admittedly, as you say, we don't believe in sex before marriage or contraception - so part of the not getting married is that we're not ready to have kids yet, and while we'll obviously do our best with the rhythm method etc, there's no way we're risking it until we're in a position to bring up a child.

We obviously still kiss, and sleep in the same bed and stuff. We just don't have sex.

People's own bedroom antics will differ from person to person. For some people it's very much a blanket ban on anything sexual. Others are fine with anything that isn't penetration. You're just going to have to ask the guy. You're no more likely to get a generic answer to "do Catholics do nasty stuff" than "do guys do nasty stuff". Some do, some don't.
Reply 41
Original post by Panda Bear
You're an idiot, right?

You beat me to it.

Don't worry, the relationship won't last :smile:
Reply 42
Original post by q1w2e3r4t5y6
are you American by any chance?
because catholics aren't usually so evangelical.
you strike me as more of a 'christian' or baptist.
im latin american.and most definately not baptist.
and yes, i regularly go to confession but i also know that the only one who can judge me for my sins against the catholic church is God... people can think less of me for having sex before marriage or my other beliefs that do not comply with my religion but no man should judge another- thats for God to decide if the way i lead my life is good or bad.

there is a difference between judging to discern, and judging to condemn. you are right that only the Lord will deliver the final judgement and determine if you will go to hell. and judging to condemn is therefore wrong.

but there is also judging to discern what is required by the Lord of us as Catholics, by what is in the Bible, CCC, and Sacred Traditon. this is GOOD judging.

see these bible quote:
2 Timothy 3:16-17 NIV says: “All scripture is God-breathed and is useful for teaching, rebuking, correcting and training in righteousness, so that the man of God may be thoroughly equipped for every good work.”

2 Timothy 4:2 NIV says: “Preach the Word; be prepared in season and out of season; correct, rebuke and encourage- with great patience and careful instruction.”
Titus 2:15 NIV says: “These, then, are the things you should teach. Encourage and rebuke with all authority. Do not let anyone despise you.”

note that they refer to 'rebuking' and 'correcting' and 'training'. If a person is doing wrong and I tell them they are doing wrong I am not judging that person but I am judging that persons behavior.Christians must use spiritual discernment in coming to conclusions on matters of right or wrong or good and evil. Judgment that judges right from wrong and good from evil is always a necessary judgment for Christians.

if you see a chrisitina brother falling into sin. maybe he wants to live with his girlfriend unmarried. or maybe he wants to put money into a sweepstake. you have a duty to inform him that his ways are not in accordance with the Lord. they are not right. you should tell him what is the right thing to do in accordance with the Bible. he might not know what he is doing is wrong, and you shold educate him, and encourage him to seek the sacrament of Penance.

http://userwww.service.emory.edu/~cmadd01/shouldju.html
http://www.thestormshelter.net/judging.html
http://searchwarp.com/swa7061.htm

also you sound pretty devout yourself-- so why not just go on a few dates with this guy,you sound like you both have similar views...

x _x
Reply 43
Original post by Anonymous
Wow.

Okay, so assuming this is serious:

No, not all devout Catholics date only to get married. My other half and I have been together for getting on four years. No plans to get married yet. Admittedly, as you say, we don't believe in sex before marriage or contraception - so part of the not getting married is that we're not ready to have kids yet, and while we'll obviously do our best with the rhythm method etc, there's no way we're risking it until we're in a position to bring up a child.

We obviously still kiss, and sleep in the same bed and stuff. We just don't have sex.

People's own bedroom antics will differ from person to person. For some people it's very much a blanket ban on anything sexual. Others are fine with anything that isn't penetration. You're just going to have to ask the guy. You're no more likely to get a generic answer to "do Catholics do nasty stuff" than "do guys do nasty stuff". Some do, some don't.

omg you guys must have awesome self control i definately couldnt do that. my hormones and rampant nature would get the better of me. kudos to you bro. for 4 years??? thats incredible. wow. just wow. i always assumed everyone who was waiting got married real fast. all the chrisitnas i knew from school married age 18.
Reply 44
Believe me they are into anal before marriage, i have first hand experience with a priest but thats another story for the therapist
Reply 45
Original post by AnyoneOutThere
Troll failure.

Negged for this?! WTH?

defintely troll so neg :confused:
yes but IM normal. this guy is an extreme catholic. like the Opus Dei types in Da Vinci Code

Catholics DO have to want kids if they are to be married. And since sex outside of marriage isnt allowed, there isnt any point in dating for a long time unmarried. They cannot use artificial contraception. It is different if the couple is naturally infertile, but fertile couples must want to have children

Here is a quote from the Catechism of the catholic church:

for those of you saying "treat him as normal" and "im a cathlic but i have sex outside marriage", there is a distinction between non practicing and practicing catholics. i would agree that dating a non catholic and dating a non practicing catholic is the same.

but dating a practicing catholic is very different, because of the requirements of the religion. basically:

- dating catholics cannot have sex or intimacy or living together. instead they should court each other with a view to getting married
- one is either called to the single or married life. if you are to be married you must want and try to have kids, raise your kids catholic, not use contraception.
- if you are single, you must remain celibate
- if you are divorced, divorce is not recognised in the CC therefore you can never remarry. only the first valid marriage will be recognised. if you remarry you cannot partake in communion as you are seen as cohabiting adulterously.
- before you marry most churches make you do the marriage prep course with is 6 - 8 months about the sacramet f marriage.

so yeah. dating a practicing catholic is very different, there arent many of them and i wondered if anyone had. since intimacy isnt allowed, what do you do when you date? must you pray together alot or what?

if you dont know then dont post!

If if bothers you so much, find a new person or get over it.
omg dudes

basically i have a date with a cute fellow. ive never been out with a proper catholic before and this fellow is ilke majjjoyrly devout. what do i do?

i mean they only date to get married right, since they cant have sex before marriage. how soon do they want to get married? they have to do a marriage prep course for like 8 months befoe the big day right, so you must get engaged like after 2 months or so :eek:? is kissing allowed?

also i cant stand babies, but i read on the web catholics have to have babies when they marry? and also are all devout catholic fellows virgins? because they arent allowed anal, condoms or sex without producing babies, is oral ok? will they be into nasty stuff after tehy marry like dressing up, light bondage etc, or seeing as they dont have it before marriage, they might not be into any fun things?

also what do catholics do on dates? what do they talk about?

also my family arent catholic and my parents are divoced. is this allowed?

has anyone ever dated a catholic before? what did you do?

im catholic and virgin but i also am open minded, own 5 vibes, want to try nasty stuff when am married and dont much like babies. so im not in the category of strictly raised catholics who only read the Bible.

EDIT: those of you saying "dating a catholic is the same as dating a non catholic" and "my catholic friends are all living with their bfs having sex before marriage, and they dont ever want to marry or have kids" those guys are not practicing the faith. these things are not allowed

Would you not be better off having an open and honest conversation about his views and what he wants/expects and then deciding whether or not he's a viable guy? :dontknow:

Every Catholic is an individual, so it won't help you to generalise by looking at the more devout beliefs/practices, unless actually necessary :smile:
omg you guys must have awesome self control i definately couldnt do that. my hormones and rampant nature would get the better of me. kudos to you bro. for 4 years??? thats incredible. wow. just wow. i always assumed everyone who was waiting got married real fast. all the chrisitnas i knew from school married age 18.

Don't get me wrong, there are definitely times that it has been HARD. Not least because he was brought up as a very follow-the-rules Catholic, whereas I was brought up in a more relaxed christian household, but have a more personal relationship with God so our attitudes to sex were very very different, and it took me a long while to accept that him not wanting me like that was no reflection on his feelings for me. But we both actually believe in waiting - it's not just something our parents told us that we feel we have to stick to, which helps. Still. With my job kids really aren't an option for another few years yet. Sucks to be us :frown:
Reply 49
i have replaced 'dude' with 'fellow' in my OP. you are probably right. but for future reference i wasnt sure, how to date one. liek what do you DO when dating catholics since you cant kiss them or anything. do you have to go church together?

To be honest, I have little idea as I'm not Catholic and have never dated one. However, I see little reason to think that, physical aspects aside, a date need be any different from with someone else. Just get to know him, there's no pressure to marry him right now! As for kissing, I think most people do this before marriage now even if they don't do anything else, but you won't know until you go out with him.
Reply 50
Sooooooooooooo, which mental institute did you escape from?? Can i get a reward for returning you?:colone:

And im so grateful im an atheist now :smile:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 51
ok guys, for those of you who were wondering the main differences i noticed from dating a catholic and non catholic:

- before having the meal, we said the grace
- after the date we held hands on the train and said a prayer for the Lords Will to be done and then said the Lords pryaer
- the fellow said he had been reciting novenas for a wife
- we talked about how many children we would have on the first date. he did not believe in contraception obviously and was hoping to have 9 or 10 as his father and forefathers did.
- we did not drink alchohl as it was during Lent

he was a very devout and sweet guy but like most of you were saying, personality comes into it more than anything. and im afraid this guy was a total nerd and only talked about robotics (he was a cybernetics student). also, he was those really enthusiastic nerds that talknonstopaboutreallyboringthings and talk AT you rather than to you. literally the whole evening i spoke for like 5 mins out of like 6 hours.

i wil see him again because i havent met any other catholics but im afraid its a no go.
right, why do you want to date this guy? you have zero in common and clearly the relationship will not work. silly girl.
ok guys, for those of you who were wondering the main differences i noticed from dating a catholic and non catholic:

- before having the meal, we said the grace
- after the date we held hands on the train and said a prayer for the Lords Will to be done and then said the Lords pryaer
- the fellow said he had been reciting novenas for a wife
- we talked about how many children we would have on the first date. he did not believe in contraception obviously and was hoping to have 9 or 10 as his father and forefathers did.
- we did not drink alchohl as it was during Lent

he was a very devout and sweet guy but like most of you were saying, personality comes into it more than anything. and im afraid this guy was a total nerd and only talked about robotics (he was a cybernetics student). also, he was those really enthusiastic nerds that talknonstopaboutreallyboringthings and talk AT you rather than to you. literally the whole evening i spoke for like 5 mins out of like 6 hours.

i wil see him again because i havent met any other catholics but im afraid its a no go.

I think this guy is having you on, either that or he's a nutjob because no-one says novenas for a wife (unless they're desperate) and they don't plan to have 9 or 10 children when they're only young themselves.

Also you probably have met other Catholics before, they just don't act like nutters.
I know a couple who are "catholic"

They Had sex in my friend's shed at a party...
I don't date to get married. I'd say I'm a decent catholic haha.
I would recommend the Catholic Society on here... That's really who you should be asking...
Reply 57
Original post by Kitty Pryde
I think this guy is having you on, either that or he's a nutjob because no-one says novenas for a wife (unless they're desperate) and they don't plan to have 9 or 10 children when they're only young themselves.

Also you probably have met other Catholics before, they just don't act like nutters.

i assure you, he is not joking. his family is very devout, they pray the rosary every day at 8pm and he's 28 - he lives at home with his 10 bros sis and mom and pop. and yeah, at 28 he isnt really 'young'. and it IS hard to find any practicing traditional catholics who agree with eg non contraception, no sex before marriage, traditional latin mass, veiling of women etc so im not surprised he said the novena. but i founf the whole praying on the train thing weird.

also on the way to the restaurant, we had to make a detour into the nearest church where he prayed loudly in latin for 20 mins before we went out for dinner. we said grace in the restaurant sepearetely. is this normal. he is just really reallyl devout. now i dont pray out loud, i dont wear a cross or say 'God bless' because im shy about my faith. so when we were saying the Lords prayer out loud on the train and genuflecting and crossing outselves people were looking at us funny.

my problem isnt that he is catholic, but that having 'as many chidren as the Lord sends' isnt my idea of great fun - i dont really want any until im like 33 and getting old, and even then only one and only because i have to be open to having kids in a cathlic marriage.

also he is VERY BORING and NERDY. when he wasnt praying out loud in the street, he was talking AT me very animatedly about cybernetics and robotics. for 5 hours solid. i cant manage.

he also had to see a psychiatrist for over scruplosity, is this normal. he says he is ok now.

Original post by Jaffacakejunkie
I would recommend the Catholic Society on here... That's really who you should be asking...

i founded the catholic society
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 58
Sounds like he's being ostentatious more than devout, tbh, though I'm sure he'd disagree with me.
Reply 59
Original post by Helenia
Sounds like he's being ostentatious more than devout, tbh, though I'm sure he'd disagree with me.

i dunno, he is indeed a hardcore one. he had to see a psychiatrist for being overly religous to a scary point before.

btw i had to look up that word to see what it mean :tongue:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending