The Student Room Group

Male contraceptive pill.

I remember reading a while back that a male contraceptive pill had been created by people at Edinburgh university and that it had been through clinical trials and a pharmaceutical company had taken it on.

Does anyone know when it will be released ?

Apparently it's vastly different to the female one with the only side effect being mild weight gain in less than 1% of cases. There were also rumours that you would only need to take it once a month or even once a quarter.

http://uk.askmen.com/dating/dzimmer_60/72b_love_answers.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7857262/Scientists-invent-first-male-contraceptive-pill.html

I'm interested to know when this will come out. It's not really for me per say but I would go on it if my gf didn't like being on it or if it really is as safe as they say it could be an extra precaution.
Accidental pregnancy is the only thing keeping Britain afloat! :|

It's not like most horny guys are willing parents.
I'd be interested, but I'd rather trust the female pill which has been in constant development and testing since being released decades ago, so is almost perfect, whereas this pill may have unknown side-effects.
Reply 3
Original post by TheFlyingDutchman

I'm interested to know when this will come out. It's not really for me per say but I would go on it if my gf didn't like being on it or if it really is as safe as they say it could be an extra precaution.

It's nice to hear a guy say this. I've heard a lot of males say that they wouldn't ever take a contraceptive pill, because it's a more feminine thing to do. Kinda made me mad to hear them say that tbh.
Reply 4
I find it a tiny bit peculiar. A form of contraception that is completely invisble to the woman (who'll be the one to carry around any consequence of a lack of precaution). I'm not sure I like the idea.
Reply 5
No way :/ I think women would generally be more likely to take their pill, because the consequences are much worse for the woman than the man. I don't think I could trust a guy ><
Reply 6
Original post by ily_em
No way :/ I think women would generally be more likely to take their pill, because the consequences are much worse for the woman than the man. I don't think I could trust a guy ><

I don't think you should sleep with him if you don't trust him then :dontknow:

I'd take it tho, I wouldnt see a problem taking it :hat2:
Original post by Griffin23

I'd totally agree with this.

A lot of men are a lot more reliable than women give them credit for.
Reply 8
Original post by Griffin23

OK, maybe it's not that I don't trust them, but that I like having some sort of control for myself; it's my body, after all. :/
I hate being on the pill, so the news of that was good. However I don't think I'd want my boyfriend on it when it finally does come out since it's such a new drug :frown:
Original post by TheFlyingDutchman
I remember reading a while back that a male contraceptive pill had been created by people at Edinburgh university and that it had been through clinical trials and a pharmaceutical company had taken it on.

Does anyone know when it will be released ?

Apparently it's vastly different to the female one with the only side effect being mild weight gain in less than 1% of cases. There were also rumours that you would only need to take it once a month or even once a quarter.

http://uk.askmen.com/dating/dzimmer_60/72b_love_answers.html

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/7857262/Scientists-invent-first-male-contraceptive-pill.html

It's refreshing to see a mature guy not freaking out over guys possibly taking the Pill and ranting how "it's the woman's job". Good on you!

Personally I'm happy sticking to the Pill myself but if this comes out it might be good if my boyfriend took it as an extra precaution. It only seems a bit wierd now because women have taken the Pill for years but maybe soon it will be the norm for a guy to take it instead/as well.
It would be great if this did become available.
The last time I read about this, which was probably about a year ago now, it said that there would be a wait of about 5 - 10 years before it came on to the public market though.
I'd probably still use some female contraception in combination with it and just use it an extra precaution though, I'm not sure I'd trust the male pill to work if it was a new thing.
I would definatly use it, just as an extra precaution. Never rely on just one. This argument that you cant trust the guy to take it is rediculous. 1. Why are women supposedly more trustworthy in that department? 2. You should trust the person you're sleeping with to at least use protection. 3. If you are in that kind of relationship, it would be prudent to use more than one form of contraceptive anyway.
I do trust my boyfriend, but I think that he's very forgetful. I have to remind him to take his keys, take his wallet, that he's going to see his mother this weekend, things like that.

If one day I'm sick or not here and therefore can't remind him I'd panic. And it's not me being hypocritical either, I don't trust myself to take it :p: I take meds every day for epilepsy so it's not like I'd forget but the timing and stuff seems so weird.

I love my coil :h:
Original post by ily_em
OK, maybe it's not that I don't trust them, but that I like having some sort of control for myself; it's my body, after all. :/

Ahh ok I understand your point :smile:
Reply 15
Meh, I'd take it if those are definatly the only side effects. TBH I don't see why taking care of contraception is the woman's job.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending