The Student Room Group
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website

University of Kent Applicants 2011

Scroll to see replies

Original post by beffnee
I'm on the other side of campus to Keynes, but I would have thought it was Sainsburys (Feel free to correct me, someone, if I am wrong). To get to Asda from Tyler Hill, you have to walk past Sainsburys, and the bus passes it too, so I don't think Asda can be the closest. There is also a Tesco Metro or whatever it is called in the city centre which has served all of my flat well all year! I've never struggled really to get anything I have wanted, and don't think anyone else has!

That said, I always found it easier to order my groceries online (Tesco, £3 delivery, no minimum spend, the others all have a £25 ish minimum spend and the same delivery costs (at a minimum) and with Tesco you can get Clubcard points as a bonus). The bus into town costs £2.50 for a return, more to Asda, although I think we got ripped off... It's not meant to be nearly £5 like we were charged. For the sake of an extra 50p, I found it easier to be able to judge how much I was spending and adjust accordingly rather than getting to the till and seeing I had spent too much.

It is possible to walk to Sainsburys (and/or Tesco or Asda) but in any case, you will have to walk back up the hill with your shopping or get a bus or taxi back.

Just my two cents (:

I have a question, if you don't mind. It might seem obvious and silly to ask, and maybe I've just missed it, but what do you do about post at university? Packages, such as the shopping especially. I'm assuming you pick packages/post up from a post office, right? It's just that I've paid for Amazon Prime and seem to spend more money on books than anything else, so I was just wondering if that first class delivery would go to waste etc.
Winter time, University of Kent
University of Kent
Canterbury
Visit website
Original post by StefanieLouise
I have a question, if you don't mind. It might seem obvious and silly to ask, and maybe I've just missed it, but what do you do about post at university? Packages, such as the shopping especially. I'm assuming you pick packages/post up from a post office, right? It's just that I've paid for Amazon Prime and seem to spend more money on books than anything else, so I was just wondering if that first class delivery would go to waste etc.

It will go to the reception of the set of accommodation you live in. I seem to remember you saying you had put down for Tyler B/C? In which case, you would pick up your post from Tyler A - that's where our Reception is. You ask by name for letter post, and any packages will be put up on a board with your surname and a number which you then ask for. At the beginning you may be asked to show ID, but very quickly (I, too, get a lot of Amazon packages) they knew who I was and never questioned it.

As far as posting mail goes, there are a few post boxes dotted around (One in Keynes, one by Essentials, one in Parkwood, not sure where else if there are) for letters, and I THINK (but don't quote me on this, I've always posted packages from the post office in town) you can post packages from the Mandela building. I also think you can get courier deliveries picked up from your reception but you have to fill in some forms in case anything goes wrong so that they aren't liable for it.

For groceries, they will be delivered to your accommodation (as far as I know). In Tyler B/C, providing it is not a really late delivery (past 9pm ish?) they will drive it down the slope and then phone you. Asda and Sainsburys then expect you to take it to your flat and return the crates, Tesco will deliver it to your kitchen if you let them in and then take the crates themselves (Another reason I prefer Tesco, haha). I think the same stands for other accommodation - I've seen vans delivering to all the other buildings so I assume it is!
Original post by cinnamon442
About 20 minutes. I live right next to it and it takes me 20 minutes to walk to campus. :smile:

Does anyone know how much washing laundry costs?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm trying to work out how poor I'm going to be :tongue:
Original post by jaydemikaela
Does anyone know how much washing laundry costs?

Sorry for the questions, but I'm trying to work out how poor I'm going to be :tongue:

£2 per washing machine load
£1 per tumble dryer load

Or they have been this year.
Original post by beffnee
£2 per washing machine load
£1 per tumble dryer load

Or they have been this year.

Cool thanks :smile:
Just firmed Kent! :cute:
Didn't get either of my insurance choices I really wanted (they were Scottish though) but I'm just gonna put all my effort into getting into Kent!
Reply 847
Original post by cinnamon442
Woohoo! It's beautiful. :smile: It was built in 2008 so it's the newest accommodation on campus, there are three different sized rooms and it has its own common room. :smile: I'm praying I get a room. When did you apply?!

I havent applied yet as I havent gotten my paperwork in the mail. But I think Im guaranteed a room since Im international. Im glad its newer...I was at UCLan last year and was lucky enough to be in one of the new buildings there as well and it was a definite plus. When did you apply if you dont mind me asking? I feel like Ive done everything so late, but by the standards in the states, this is all really early!
Original post by BrittC007
I havent applied yet as I havent gotten my paperwork in the mail. But I think Im guaranteed a room since Im international. Im glad its newer...I was at UCLan last year and was lucky enough to be in one of the new buildings there as well and it was a definite plus. When did you apply if you dont mind me asking? I feel like Ive done everything so late, but by the standards in the states, this is all really early!

Mid-March, but I'm not an International student and already a student at Kent so I think I'm lower down on the list since they give priority to Internationals. Fingers crossed though. You haven't done anything late, I wouldn't worry, I didn't apply until August in my first year and still managed to get Tyler A. :smile:

What are you studying here then?
Reply 849
Can't waittt to start
Original post by mellie220
Just firmed Kent! :cute:
Didn't get either of my insurance choices I really wanted (they were Scottish though) but I'm just gonna put all my effort into getting into Kent!

I like your sig :colondollar:
^ another Kent law firmer! Hehe its weird seeing people on here that I might get to meet in September
:woo: My offer hasn't changed even though I'm dropping EPQ (was totally dreading what they were going to say)!
Original post by nooneyouknow
^ another Kent law firmer! Hehe its weird seeing people on here that I might get to meet in September

Hey, we're doing the same course too :smile: you applied for your accommodation?
Original post by nooneyouknow

Not as weird as you may think. I became really good friends with someone on here once starting at Kent, but I didn't realise that I'd been speaking to them on here a little bit :p:

I know soo many people irl who are on here and at Kent now. After 1 year :smile:
Original post by Loz17
Not as weird as you may think. I became really good friends with someone on here once starting at Kent, but I didn't realise that I'd been speaking to them on here a little bit :p:

I know soo many people irl who are on here and at Kent now. After 1 year :smile:

:blah: :blah:

:wink:
Original post by Champagne Supernova
:blah: :blah:

:wink:

Shh you :p:

You'd be suprised :rolleyes:
Reply 857
Hey guys! I'm a first year at University of Kent, currently studying Social Anthropology :smile: I remember coming on this site ages ago, trying to figure out how the campus was like and all that :biggrin:

If you've got aaannny questions - sports, societies, social life, city, accommodation.... feel free to let me know! Especially all those international students out there coming to the UK for the first time...! It's a beautiful place to study, especially those looking for a campus-lifestyle...!
Unconditional Offer for Law at Kent today :biggrin: I'm a very happy man.

I've been looking at accomodation and trying to work out which is best. I come from a low income family but would still like en suite in a lively building, any heads up for good ones?

Or I suppose how is it having to share bathroom facilities?
Reply 859
Original post by asha_patel
I have a quick question, in the Darwin houses how many rooms are there to each house? And how many bathrooms are there to each house? Also, what are the kitchens like?

Thank you.

I had to email the accomm. team seeing as their website is crap - they told me that Darwin Houses range from 4 to 8 bed, and those with 6 or more beds have two bathrooms and two fridges (those kitchens might be slightly larger, but they didn't go into too much detail!)

You can request which bed house you'd like to be in on the online application - there should be a special request box or something similar, it's months since I applied - but Kent Hospitality did stress that this is in no way a guarantee.

I don't understand why they haven't put the information on the website but anyway, hope this helps! :rolleyes:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending