The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by thegodofgod
Have you started writing your personal statement yet?

I know loads of people (applying for non-medical courses) who're already done & dusted with theirs! Far too organised for my liking :ahee:

Have you started doing yours? I jotted down some stuff to put in mine but since I'm nowhere near finished doing things that'll go into it yet so I don't really want to write it properly.
Original post by Stegosaurus
I know loads of people (applying for non-medical courses) who're already done & dusted with theirs! Far too organised for my liking :ahee:

Have you started doing yours? I jotted down some stuff to put in mine but since I'm nowhere near finished doing things that'll go into it yet so I don't really want to write it properly.

The thing is though people applying for non-vocational courses tend not to need to do any work experience for their course, so it's quite easy for them to have already done it, whereas a lot of medical applicants get work experience in the summer then write about it in their personal statements later.
Found out earlier that my school actually requires personal statement drafts in before the end of the summer term, which means extra work for me :rolleyes:
Original post by Normandy114
The thing is though people applying for non-vocational courses tend not to need to do any work experience for their course, so it's quite easy for them to have already done it, whereas a lot of medical applicants get work experience in the summer then write about it in their personal statements later.
Found out earlier that my school actually requires personal statement drafts in before the end of the summer term, which means extra work for me :rolleyes:

I know, hence why I'm not thinking about mine yet given that I'm going to be doing a load of stuff for it over the Summer. Hopefully. When the hospital gets back to me. Which will probably be never :frown:
How're you going to get a draft in if you're going to be working on it over the Summer?
(edited 13 years ago)

All I've done so far is that I've noted down a few useful things I could include - haven't started writing it properly yet though - I'm sure my school will tell us to write it over the summer holidays.
I know, hence why I'm not thinking about mine yet given that I'm going to be doing a load of stuff for it over the Summer. Hopefully. When the hospital gets back to me. Which will probably be never :frown:
How're you going to get a draft in if you're going to be working on it over the Summer?

Probably just a draft on what I've done so far, my school really likes to give every lots of work...
Original post by oHellno
I don't even know what textbook my school has given me, it's AQA but it's so awful. Anyone who does AQA Biology should get the Nelson Thornes AS book, it's amazing :love:

I have. you know what'd be even more amazing? If everything they asked you in the exam was, in some way, related to the content in the textbook.
Original post by navarre

Original post by navarre
I have. you know what'd be even more amazing? If everything they asked you in the exam was, in some way, related to the content in the textbook.

Lol that would obviously be amazing, but seeing as AQA don't know how to follow textbooks that it very unlikely. :sad:
Original post by oHellno
Lol that would obviously be amazing, but seeing as AQA don't know how to follow textbooks that it very unlikely. :sad:

LOL, most of the time, overanswer their questions. Even mentioning something like 'hyrodlysis' will get the mark, even if it doesn't make sense to the thing you're saying.

I try and include as many scientific words as possible, and yes, it gets the marks.
Quite a few people have been asking me for Leeds University's requirements for Medicine. I was rejected this year and requested feedback so I figured it would be helpful to you to know what they look for. PM me for any other questions and good luck with the rest of your application and exams!

Hope this helps possible Leeds applicants!

Personal Statement /24

Motivation & Insight /6
Social Awareness /6
Responsibility /6
Non academic achievements (outside interests) /6

Referee's statement /6
Academic performance (GCSE, predicted/actual A2) /16

Additional point awarded to those who gain over 2800 at UKCAT.

This year you needed 39 and above out of 46 to be called for interview.
They have 223 places and received over 3660 application this year.
They held 600 interviews and made 300-400 offers.
revision begins tomorrow! I feel 5 weeks is enough...
anyone else not started?
Original post by navarre

LOL

That would be heaven :tongue:

None of that How Science Works bull****
Original post by navarre

Original post by navarre
LOL, most of the time, overanswer their questions. Even mentioning something like 'hyrodlysis' will get the mark, even if it doesn't make sense to the thing you're saying.

I try and include as many scientific words as possible, and yes, it gets the marks.

Haha I get what you mean. Sometimes the answers they're looking for are so obscure and strange and sometimes it's like is that all? I did a past paper and it was about haemoglobin, the question was 'what is the quaternary structure', the answer was literally 'polypeptides' that was all lol.

I've gotten used to writing literally everything I can now in the hope that I'll get some marks in my waffling.
Original post by oHellno
Haha I get what you mean. Sometimes the answers they're looking for are so obscure and strange and sometimes it's like is that all? I did a past paper and it was about haemoglobin, the question was 'what is the quaternary structure', the answer was literally 'polypeptides' that was all lol.

I've gotten used to writing literally everything I can now in the hope that I'll get some marks in my waffling.

The best strategy. Usually it's not clear how much you should include in a question- that's my major downfall, especially on 2 mark questions.
Original post by oHellno

The only good thing about AQA is that if you write certain key words, you get a mark, so if you go on a tangent but put in loads of key words, you could potentially get full marks :mmm:
Nice to see everyone has roughly the same approach for answering exam questions for AQA :smile:
Sometimes I feel that the answers they are looking for aren't at all related to the questions they ask...
Reply 1495
Original post by navarre

Haha yeah.. I hate it when they ask really obscure questions!
Original post by navarre

This. So, so many times over.
Original post by Normandy114
Nope OCR, we were taught all of this last year. I did the Unit 2 exam in January and got 118/150, 120 was an A, so I decided to resit it in June. Considering I had missed out 3 sides of the paper, and only noticed 3 minutes before the end, I think I did quite well.
Also a word of warning, biodiversity is the most boring topic I have seen in any subject. Have fun learning it :tongue:

I think I'm the only person in the world who genuinely enjoys biodiversity. :erm: And plants are underrated!

I'm seriously considering putting Zoology as a fifth choice (my Bio teacher did a Zoology degree and she's been all over the world working with wild animals) but I doubt a medicine PS would go down amazingly welll.
Reply 1498
Original post by thegodofgod
Have you started writing your personal statement yet?

I did the first 2 paragraphs a few months back when I was bored one time - it's kinda on pause now until after my exams. :tongue:
Reply 1499
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
I think I'm the only person in the world who genuinely enjoys biodiversity. :erm: And plants are underrated!

I'm seriously considering putting Zoology as a fifth choice (my Bio teacher did a Zoology degree and she's been all over the world working with wild animals) but I doubt a medicine PS would go down amazingly welll.

I don't mind biodiversity really. I like learning new stuff, as long as it's vaguely interesting, and not to do with history etcc. :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending