The Student Room Group

Taken Citalopram 20mg for the first time today...I don't feel myself...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Dont panic about the valium. It is a wonderous drug as long as youre aware of how addictive it can be. Have another valium and lay in bed... you'll soon feel like someones giving you a huge cuddle xx
Reply 41
Both my parents have taken this, and from what they were told it takes a few weeks to have any real effect.
Original post by freakingout!
Just reading your message has made me feel calmer...

I do definatly feel weird, but your 100% correct, im probably making myself more anxious/worried...

SuperWolf, thanks for backing me up mate, there's definatly no way this is placebo, and im glad im not the only person in the wrld that's feeling weird from day 1...

The woman I spoke to on NHS (a nurse is calling me bk in 30) said that she couldn't understand why the doc started me off on 20mg, she said that even in severe cases of depression/anxiety, it's best to start little, in order to reduce the side effects,,,

I have a feeling that doctor yesterday was a douchebag...:frown:

Good :smile:

Yeah they really shouldn't start you off that high, it's usually meant to be 10mg. I was on it for 3 days but stopped because I was asleep for most of those 3 days and was already behind with uni work from the depression! Go back and ask for 10mg if you still want them. Personally I'm reading a book called 'Feeling Good' by David D. Burns. I've only just got past the introduction but it's pretty much cognitive therapy in a book. The bit that I read explained how just reading this book alone without anti depressants rid about half the people of depression in their experiments :smile: Combined with anti depressants I think it was around 70%! Have a look on amazon, loads of good reviews on there too :biggrin:
prozac and citalopram are essentially the same, i've been on both. didn't like the way citalopram made me feel (that and i od on it) so got taken off it.

my housemate has just started on citalopram and has been feeling a bit weird too.

it will pass evetually though
Original post by lozzyhickers
WTF i said they're addictive because Citalopram is used as both a anti-depressant and a benzodiazepine, which is very well know for being addictive with constant use.

Kudos to you

Well I've done a bit of googling, and so far as I can see there's no evidence that citalopram is either addictive or a benzodiazepine, so I have no idea what you're talking about. But I'd be very interested if either you or anyone else can prove me wrong.
When I first started taking Citalopram it made me feel like death. I had severe anxiety, sleeplessness, mood swings.. etc etc.

It wore off after 2 and a half weeks, so keep on with it. Don't ever stop taking it without talking to your GP.

Oh, and to
WTF i said they're addictive because Citalopram is used as both a anti-depressant and a benzodiazepine, which is very well know for being addictive with constant use.

Kudos to you
Citalopram is NOT a benzodiazepine. It's an SSRI - an antidepressant.
Original post by lucylove3
citaloprams awful :\ its really cheap for the nhs to prescribe to patients so its always the first thing they'll give you. if you know its not working dont get fobbed off by them putting your dose up and up. this is usually the case from my own personal experience and during nurse training x

So what is the best medication?
Original post by Miss Behaving

Original post by Miss Behaving
So what is the best medication?

I think it really varies between people.

For me the SSRI's don't work (or rather they work to well and i have hypomania) but the older ones work a bit better (currently on Lofepramine-a 3rd gen tricylic AD).

It's trial and error for the most part

I think doctors typically offer citalopram and fluexotine first as they are usually better tolerated by people, with less side effects. The only downside to this is people think they are the only ADs they can be prescribed where as really there are many different ones, that work in different ways. Never be afraid to ask to change if you feel one isn't working.
(edited 13 years ago)

Kudos to you

There is no evidence that citalopram is addictive, and it is most certainly not a benzo drug it is an antidepressant of the SSRI class.

I don't mean this in a horrible way but if you are going to make a post about medication please make sure you research it first, misinformation can mislead people and prevent them from getting the treatment they require.
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by xXMessedUpXx
I think it really varies between people.

For me the SSRI's don't work (or rather they work to well and i have hypomania) but the older ones work a bit better (currently on Lofepramine-a 3rd gen tricylic AD).

It's trial and error for the most part

I think doctors typically offer citalopram and fluexotine first as they are usually better tolerated by people, with less side effects. The only downside to this is people think they are the only ADs they can be prescribed where as really there are many different ones, that work in different ways. Never be afraid to ask to change if you feel one isn't working.

Well I'm on Citalopram 20mg (I was on 10mg, but they put it up), and although I feel less anxious, I still have down days where I feel so depressed and I can't shake it off. Most times it works, but I just feel it could be more effective in making me feel less manic. Sometimes I just get really excited, but not in a good way - it's weird.
Original post by freakingout!
Hello again TSR, it's the guy who had to take valium last night... :s-smilie:

I didn't want to try valium and citralopram together, so decided to take my citalopram 20mg today...this is the dose my doctor started me on...

I feel pretty chill, (kinda feels like a come down from ecstacy), but i'l be honest, i don't really feel right...

I don't feel myself....just a little humb and...distant (hard to describe tbh)

Is this normal?

If it all possible you should avoid taking those, but then again if you really need them i guess you have no choice.

Also, I probably don't need to tell you this, but be VERY careful with any sort of benzo, start popping em too much and you got yourself a serious problem.
I take 60 mg of citolapram. Used to be on risperdol 8mg and 4 valuim a day. I dont have any side effects from the citalopram just feel the same.
Original post by Rybee
P.

On a lighter note... it can be quite funny. I remember whilst walking to the shops and I couldn't move my legs when I got half way. I was so embarrassed it was really funny. I was just standing there on the side of the road and I just couldn't move my legs at all! y!

omg, the same thing happens me. i keep having a dream where i cant move my legs like they feel really heavy. It never happened me while i was awake up until a few wks ago when i was running up the stairs and suddenly i couldnt move my legs, really freaky.
Citalopram 20mg is a normal adult dose to start on. Some people start on 10mg, but it wasn't at all unreasonable for your doctor to have started you on 20mg. Hope the side effects improve for you soon.
Original post by andy5788
I hate to say it, and I don't mean to be patronising, but I call placebo effect.

One 20mg tablet is not enough to be feeling significant effects....

I had side effects within 20 minutes on mine :redface: I went very floppy and dizzy - and spent the next day half asleep and unable to do much at all!

Then again, mine are 5mg of escitalopram - which my GP said was equivalent to about 40/60 mg of citalopram in strength!
Original post by fire2burn
There is no evidence that citalopram is addictive, and it is most certainly not a benzo drug it is an antidepressant of the SSRI class.

I don't mean this in a horrible way but if you are going to make a post about medication please make sure you research it first, misinformation can mislead people and prevent them from getting the treatment they require.

I was simply telling them what my doctor told me, the evidence of which was in a medical text book.
And it is not just an anti-depressant.
I was simply telling them what my doctor told me, the evidence of which was in a medical text book.
And it is not just an anti-depressant.

You might want to change doctors...
Original post by superwolf
You might want to change doctors...

you might want to believe medical textbooks. Otherwise all doctors are 'wrong'
Original post by fire2burn

I think she meant it can be used for anxiety too (the reason I'm on SSRI's atm - depression seems under control for now) as can benzodiazepines, but citalopram is definatly NOT a benzodiazepine by structure. I don't believe that it is addictive either but that is me and I am not a doctor; just a plain old dispensary assistant. I do know benzodiazepines are addictive though.
you might want to believe medical textbooks. Otherwise all doctors are 'wrong'

No, your doctor is 'wrong'. That or you're an idiot who completely misinterpreted whatever it was they actually said, take your pick.

Anyone who knows the slightest thing about antidepressants knows that citalopram is an SSRI antidepressant (which does not however mean it is solely used to treat depression, it's also used for anxiety, headaches, and probably various other things I don't know about :fyi:).

You can keep arguing this, but I really don't see how you can possibly win. :console:

Quick Reply

Latest