The Student Room Group

Is David Cameron right that mass immigration has damaged communities?

Scroll to see replies

Immigration is broken currently. It's purpse to improve the country isn't being hit.
Anyone who disagrees and thinks immigration in its current form is fine and dandy needs to come to my college in london for a day or two. Walk down my streets for a few hours and go to the shops here.

One thing ill never understand is this...if you are a immigrant and you commit a violent crime...why arent you deported? it should be a clear rule. CRIME = BYE BYE/. people talk about human rights but why the **** should someone spend the rest of their life without both eyes and the immigrant who did it be allowed to stay in the uk? ****ing madness.

Immigrant who commmits a crime should be deported.

start there....
I think that his good points were hidden behind a veil of populism that fed into the tabloids hands.

A good place to look is the Times opinion column today. One of the biggest issues 'splitting communities' is jobs- particularly low skilled jobs which were previously held by white working class british people- but why is it not anymore ? It is rarely because labour for migrants is cheaper; from experience, migrants actually get paid around the same amount as a british worker. The fact is that many of these migrants are extremely efficient and work well, which is good for the employer.

second issue relates to poverty. I have lived in both council housing and middle class suburbs, and its undeniable that each has a different culture to them. In council housing, kids my age were rude, agressive, arrogant and obnoxious on the whole- and it reflected in their school work and job prospects. The lack of community cohesion is not just to do with migrants; its to do with anti-social behaviour which comes from poor parenting, piss poor schools and a lack of community support in these areas.

whats also interesting to note in the times article is that the writer quoted the ONS in stating that on the whole, migrants claim less benefits (outside of the eu) and take up less council housing than their european counterparts- which i dont think cameron adressed well.

I think that cameron was right in making the speech, but he didnt actually note how he would solve the problems efficiently and he didnt promote the key arguements in the immigration debate beyond the populism that dominates tabloid headlines.

right direction but weak delivery.
Original post by Imperial Darklord
How to solve the immigration problem:

1) deport all them illegal immigrants
2) deport all them people who sit and contribute nothing and refuse to integrate.
3) and leave them good immigrants alone
Sorted. It's that fking simple. Nothing to debate about it just common sense really. Anyone who wants to make something racist about it should get a kick in the face.

And White people, you guys aren't having enough babies hence the reason why more foreign people are born and overtaking your birth rates. It's not some sort of hideous plot to kill all White people. Just Keep making babies already for ffs.
I hate all this statistic crap which 99% misinterpret....

ah, the stupidity of this post.

1. Illegal immigrants are already detained and deported- it is a method that is costly, difficult and ineffective, simply because it is VERY difficult to find illegal immigrants (the illegal immigration business is extremely lucrative). In fact, ronald reagan and richard nixon, who also faced this problem in the US, found their answers not in deporting illegal immigration, but actually offering an amnesty for them.

2. Does this include the higher % of british people who also 'contribute nothing' ?

3.what is a 'good' immigrant and a 'bad immigrant' ? The Labour strategy of points system classified a 'good immigrant' by how much wealth they had- ie. if you are rich, come in, even if you are corrupted etc. Meanwhile, modest academics, skilled workers and students were shafted because they had failed this system. I think you need to narrow your conditions of what constitutes good and bad before you make such absolute claims.
Original post by carlsberg
hes right. britain is for british people and for immigrants who want to intergrate into british society, not create societies of their own. if they dont like british society or culture, dont come!

Original post by EsStupido
That's the best reply you could come up with.

Brilliant.

Original post by Titleist
Precisely!

Britain needs to be a British state, just as Israel is a Jewish state. I don't want the cultures of Pakistan, Somalia, or anywhere else to establish themselves within the British culture. The British culture is quite simply better. If someone wants to come here and has a genuine reason to come here, then fine, but they have to adapt to BRITISH culture and to the Judeo-Christian and secular British-European values that we cherish.

Original post by Scottish
It has been estimated at three million. And I meant to say 5 years. Obviously you think all these immigrants benefit us because you devour Curry and chow mein at the weekend.

You should all join TSR BNP contact em if interested
No actually they shouldn't.

You can have a problem with immigration without being racist. they are not mutual.

People like you that just slap the RACIST or BNP tag on people who ask the questions and raise the debate or worst HAVE AN OPINION on the current situation are the real issue.

I'm male, straight and white. Am i not allowed to say that i think immigration as it stands it currently broken in britain? Apprently not cause ****tards like you will call me racist. Even though the term racist is being incorrectly used and even though i'm just offering my opinon.

****tard **** face.!!!
Original post by Grund
The quote is exactly how I feel. When you live in a country, the bare minimum is that you atleast can speak the language- if you live in England, you should be able to speak English, even if you aren't a linguistic master. Some people live in such a closed community of immigrants that they never have the need to speak English, which imo is ruining our culture. If you can't speak the language, then you shouldn't be in that country. I think this applies to anywhere in the world aswell btw, I'm not being racist.

There was even this story a while ago about an elderly Indian woman who couldn't speak a word of English apart from the bare basics such as "Hello", "Thank you" and "Goodbye", and she'd been living here for many years. I just find that disrespectful; that she hasn't even tried to learn our language, yet she's living off of our country's resources.

I feel sorry for you, it was going well until you started talking about the Indian woman. I have heard of and know masses, masses of English people who move abroad permanently and never bother to learn the foreign language - and I bet you have heard of that happening as well. Apart from that and "living off our countries resources", you're correct.
Reply 86
Original post by Extended Arpeggio
I feel sorry for you, it was going well until you started talking about the Indian woman. I have heard of and know masses, masses of English people who move abroad permanently and never bother to learn the foreign language - and I bet you have heard of that happening as well. Apart from that and "living off our countries resources", you're correct.

How does that invalidate his point, though?
Original post by Grund
The quote is exactly how I feel. When you live in a country, the bare minimum is that you atleast can speak the language- if you live in England, you should be able to speak English, even if you aren't a linguistic master. Some people live in such a closed community of immigrants that they never have the need to speak English, which imo is ruining our culture. If you can't speak the language, then you shouldn't be in that country. I think this applies to anywhere in the world aswell btw, I'm not being racist.

There was even this story a while ago about an elderly Indian woman who couldn't speak a word of English apart from the bare basics such as "Hello", "Thank you" and "Goodbye", and she'd been living here for many years. I just find that disrespectful; that she hasn't even tried to learn our language, yet she's living off of our country's resources.

Heya, I totally agree with u . I'm from the united Arab emirates and it's frustrating to see that some people who were born here (UAE) can't even speak Arabic despite of the living here for 18 years ~ all of my non-emirati friends ~ :/
Original post by barrett1987
Immigration is broken currently. It's purpse to improve the country isn't being hit.
Anyone who disagrees and thinks immigration in its current form is fine and dandy needs to come to my college in london for a day or two. Walk down my streets for a few hours and go to the shops here.

One thing ill never understand is this...if you are a immigrant and you commit a violent crime...why arent you deported? it should be a clear rule. CRIME = BYE BYE/. people talk about human rights but why the **** should someone spend the rest of their life without both eyes and the immigrant who did it be allowed to stay in the uk? ****ing madness.

Immigrant who commmits a crime should be deported.

start there....

That's how it is in the UAE (Dubai in particular)
Original post by Osman1993
Also forgot to mention him trying to 'get down' with black people/attacking racism and what not. (the oxford thing)

For crying out loud, let black people help themselves. I intend to do well, Oxford or not. The reason blacks are so far behind is because of:

A. Living in deprived london areas - GTFO London
B. Their parents.

Both these problems will be solved with time. I'm fed up of being treated like we need handouts. Yes, we're not doing as well as we should be doing right now, but it will get better, on it's own.
Reply 90

For crying out loud, let black people help themselves. I intend to do well, Oxford or not. The reason blacks are so far behind is because of:

A. Living in deprived london areas - GTFO London
B. Their parents.

Both these problems will be solved with time. I'm fed up of being treated like we need handouts. Yes, we're not doing as well as we should be doing right now, but it will get better, on it's own.

I'm not supporting his views because he was proven wrong anyway. I'm saying that he is trying to get people to like him - voting is soon. Just read what I wrote earlier :smile:
Reply 91
i never thought id agree with cameron.. but he's right, we do need to limit immigration. most of the UKs major cities have no british cultural identity, there's large areas of distinct cultural communities... which is quite sad really. where i live, there's large areas of white, asian, and black communities... some are more distinct than others, but there's obvious segregation.

i think immigration is vital to our economy though, immigrants are key to particular jobs (both skilled and unskilled)... however, the bogus 'colleges' need to be stopped; student visa policy needs DRASTIC revision and limitation; there's too many people using these 'colleges' to get into the country and live here.

the government also need to put money into particular jobs, for example, skilled jobs like plumbing etc. with unemployment being so high, we need to focus on training and funding in these areas to support people who are struggling to find work... rather than encouraging benefits. but it's obviously not that simple...with immigrants being more likely to work for less money, businesses and customers may be less likely to employ british-nationals.

its a really tricky subject, but i think there's many areas in which immigration can and needs to be immediately changed, such as the fake college/student visa immigrants being the most problematic. i just think the government needs to take a strong stance on immigration, but also to tackle the wider problems of employment (funding and training) too.
Original post by Grund

So a white person has to speak fluent Punjabi before they're allowed to live in India? That's just pure stupid, if that was the case then nobody would be able to emigrate without being faced with the challenge of trying to learn another language. "I just find that disrespectful; that she hasn't even tried to learn our language, yet she's living off of our country's resources" this pathetic comment just emphasises how ridiculous your' post is. Nothing's 'ours' that's why were open to immigration, you want to research how many 'British people' are sitting at home claiming benefits such as JSA before making rash comments like that. Also immigration of Indians, Chinese, Pakistanis, Romanians, Russians, Polish etc might seem like it's 'breaking society and creating barriers' but it's not, I mean yes the old generation of immigrants might only feel 'confident and safe' to talk to people of their own culture, but their children/gran-children will be educated under the English cirriculum which will without a shadow of doubt allow them to intergrate and break these 'barriers'. I know loads of friends of different races and cultures who contribute to society in a lot more ways that unemployed, benefit grabbing bums.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 93
To blame the existence of separate communities and the tensions between each other purely on the frankly tiny foreign population who speak little english is such an oversimplification of the entire situation.
I'm not supporting his views because he was proven wrong anyway. I'm saying that he is trying to get people to like him - voting is soon. Just read what I wrote earlier :smile:

It might have been a tad unclear, but I was agreeing with you and condemning Cameron :wink:
Reply 95
Original post by pinda.college
So a white person has to speak fluent Punjabi before they're allowed to live in India? That's just pure stupid, if that was the case then nobody would be able to emigrate without being faced with the challenge of trying to learn another language. "I just find that disrespectful; that she hasn't even tried to learn our language, yet she's living off of our country's resources" this pathetic comment just emphasises how ridiculous your' post is. Nothing's 'ours' that's why were open to immigration, you want to research how many 'British people' are sitting at home claiming benefits such as JSA before making rash comments like that. Also immigration of Indians, Chinese, Pakistanis, Romanians, Russians, Polish etc might seem like it's 'breaking society and creating barriers' but it's not, I mean yes the old generation of immigrants might only feel 'confident and safe' to talk to people of their own culture, but their children/gran-children will be educated under the English cirriculum which will without a shadow of doubt allow them to intergrate and break these 'barriers'. I know loads of friends of different races and cultures who contribute to society in a lot more ways that unemployed, benefit grabbing bums.

Then why don't we just execute, these filthy, vile, disgusting native British and move over for our beautiful and majestic, immigrant demi gods.
Reply 96
Original post by Dave Davidson
He is too right! There isnt even enough jobs for British people! It has caused nothing but problems.

Maybe because they are to lazy to look for one? and rather sit on benefits...I guess that never hit your head, or maybe because immigrants are harder workers than British people, nowonder employers employ them. Stop blaming everything on immigration.
Reply 97
Original post by Swimmer
Maybe because they are to lazy to look for one? and rather sit on benefits...I guess that never hit your head, or maybe because immigrants are harder workers than British people, nowonder employers employ them. Stop blaming everything on immigration.

So, British people are now too lazy to look for work are they? Ive heard it all now.
Reply 98
Original post by baldwin123

Original post by baldwin123
So, British people are now too lazy to look for work are they? Ive heard it all now.

Immigrants are prepared to work for a minimum wage, whereas you will hardly find a 'proud' British person who will do that + all the abuse included in the job (eg. cleaners/bin-men etc.)
I think that is what he meant.
Reply 99
Immigrants are prepared to work for a minimum wage, whereas you will hardly find a 'proud' British person who will do that + all the abuse included in the job (eg. cleaners/bin-men etc.)
I think that is what he meant.

British people can't afford to work for minimum wage, we've all got families to support and everythings so expensive now that it isn't possible to make ends meet and pay mortgages, rent etc without earning decent money. Thats not by accident either. The government has engineered it so.
(edited 13 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending