The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Kitchens in Catered?

Hiya, I'm new be nice :tongue: I've just got a couple of questions regarding the Catered off campus halls, i'd be realllyy grateful for any feedback, ive got like major brain ache over picking accomodation :colondollar:

An annoyingly long list of questions:

Are there kitchen facilities in the catered halls? as in do you get a kitchen or kitchenette on your corridor?
If so, what's in it equipment wise? and what sort of size is it?
If there aren't any kitchens, where do students predrink/mess about before they go out ect.?
I'm a bit of a party animal XD where are the best halls socially? carnatic or Greenbank?
Which Halls would be best? I'm thinking:
Roscoe and Gladstone
Rankin
Derby and rathbone

Last question! i promise :wink:
I'm going to be studying adult nursing, i did originally want to apply for self catered, due to placement times ect. but heard it can be quite dull socially, true?

Thankyou any replies would be seriously appreciated (kind of driving myself a bit mad trying to figure it all out :colondollar:
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Pixie!
Hiya, I'm new be nice :tongue: I've just got a couple of questions regarding the Catered off campus halls, i'd be realllyy grateful for any feedback, ive got like major brain ache over picking accomodation :colondollar:

Are there kitchen facilities in the catered halls? as in do you get a kitchen or kitchenette on your corridor?
If there aren't any kitchens, where do students predrink/mess about before they go out ect.?
I'm a bit of a party animal XD where are the best halls socially? carnatic or Greenbank?
Roscoe and Gladstone
Rankin
Derby and rathbone

I'm going to be studying adult nursing, i did originally want to apply for self catered, due to placement times ect. but heard it can be quite dull socially, true?

Thankyou any replies would be seriously appreciated (kind of driving myself a bit mad trying to figure it all out :colondollar:

hey :smile: i went to the most recent accomodation open day so ill try to answer some of your questions :smile:

In R&G you do get a kitchen but it is tiny .. it has a sink microwave kettle and thats about it i think that is a similar situation for the catered people in D&R. I only looked in one hall on the Carnatic site but they had quite a large kitchen but again it only had a bin kettle toaster microwave... the basics really.
I was worried about this too, I think that the general idea is that meet in other peoples rooms or in any of the other communal areas (but i dont know if you can drink in areas like the tv room etc).
I read somewhere that the more lively of the two is Carnatic, not sure how true it is, but they have the better bar and they have aprox 1700 residents compared to Greenbanks aprox 800.
Which halls are best? Well i serpose it all depends on what you are looking for; whether its cost or position etc.

I hope this helps :smile: As i say I went to the most recent open day and thats the info they gave us then so sorry if any of it is wrong :/ lol

:smile:
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
Hey.

There is small kitchens in catered halls, mainly for if catered students still want to cook something or whatever in their own time. I guess people could have pre drinks in there too? I'm not sure.

Carnatic is apparently the more social one, between Greenbank and Carnatic. Carnatic has better bars and a larger student population.

As for best halls..it does depend on what factors are more important to you. From what I have read and stuff; for the social aspect - go for halls in Carnatic. For modern/ensuite - go for prospect point (or greenbank), for proximity, go for Prospect point or on campus accomodation such as Mulberry court or Philharmonic court.
To be honest though, it's just the luck of the draw..who you live with, etc.

Apparently Roscoe and Gladstone has smaller rooms than Derby and Rathbone, but R&G rooms have a balcony. The tennis courts etc are outside D&R though.

I doubt self catered accomodation is dull..I'm sure many people who like to cook their own food enjoy going out etc :P, but if you mean carnatic is more social (as it is all catered and I assume this is what you are referring to) then as above, carnatic seems to be livelier than greenbank.

From what you have said, I would recommend carnatic to you, since you enjoy a good social life, and want some sort of proximity. (even though carnatic is not really close, the buses do stop at carnatic before greenbank, and the buses are only 20 minutes away, supposedly).
Reply 3
If you are looking to cook every meal in the kitchens in catered halls I would strongly advise against it. If you want to be cooking yourself go to self-catered. The catered kitchens are for if people want random bits of toast at 3am or a cup of tea. They are often not cleaned for weeks, people steal food from them and they are generally pretty manky and disgusting because about 20 people share it. And yes they tend to be more of a kitchenette rather than a proper kitchen.

Carnatic is generally better for nightlife, but I live at Propsect Point and if I ever want to go out there's always a group of people going out or a party going on so not that boring. But then again if I want a quiet night in I won't get disturbed by randoms in the corridor. Also if you are that fussed about going out all the time, join a couple of societies and a sports team and that way you are guaranteed a social every night. The bigger sports teams also have great socials and AU nights out.

I've heard that Rankin is pretty minging but the nightlife is AMAZING. However if you are looking for any form of cleanliness/nice kitchen/nice bathrooms/decent living conditions don't live there.
Reply 4
Original post by lauren6210
hey :smile: i went to the most recent accomodation open day so ill try to answer some of your questions :smile:

In R&G you do get a kitchen but it is tiny .. it has a sink microwave kettle and thats about it i think that is a similar situation for the catered people in D&R. I only looked in one hall on the Carnatic site but they had quite a large kitchen but again it only had a bin kettle toaster microwave... the basics really.
I was worried about this too, I think that the general idea is that meet in other peoples rooms or in any of the other communal areas (but i dont know if you can drink in areas like the tv room etc).
I read somewhere that the more lively of the two is Carnatic, not sure how true it is, but they have the better bar and they have aprox 1700 residents compared to Greenbanks aprox 800.
Which halls are best? Well i serpose it all depends on what you are looking for; whether its cost or position etc.

I hope this helps :smile: As i say I went to the most recent open day and thats the info they gave us then so sorry if any of it is wrong :/ lol

:smile:

Thankyou That was really helpful :smile:
Original post by Pixie!

Roscoe and Gladstone
Rankin
Derby and rathbone

Hey! I've already applied for accomm and all three of my choices were for Greenbank ( i really wanted self-catered ) buuuut after everything I've read I'm pretty certain i'm gonna switch my first 2 choices to Carnatic- for the social aspect!

Anyone have any info/opinions on Salisbury or Morton??
Reply 6
Original post by Pixie!
Thankyou That was really helpful :smile:

youre welcome :smile: what course are you doing? x
Reply 7
youre welcome :smile: what course are you doing? x

Adult nursing :smile: wbu?
Reply 8
Heyy, I'm going to be a liverpool vet student next year :biggrin:

I've applied for R&G, D&R en-suite and D&R all catered. The little kitchens in R&G are sooo cute, hopefully perfect for snacks or lunch as a catered student. I wouldn't pick Rankin if I were you. I went to look round at the accom open day and the kitchen was bigger than the Greenbank ones but it wasn't very nice, just like a table with a toaster and a kettle on it and a fridge and a great big bin in the middle of the room. I didn't like it :/ The girl seemed happy enough there though.

I think Sailsbury and Lady Montford are meant to be nice halls at Carnatic :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by Pixie!
Adult nursing :smile: wbu?

Physics :smile: im getting quite excited ... even if i do have my stupid exams inbetween now and then haha :s
Reply 10
Original post by tasha_atl
Heyy, I'm going to be a liverpool vet student next year :biggrin:

I've applied for R&G, D&R en-suite and D&R all catered. The little kitchens in R&G are sooo cute, hopefully perfect for snacks or lunch as a catered student. I wouldn't pick Rankin if I were you. I went to look round at the accom open day and the kitchen was bigger than the Greenbank ones but it wasn't very nice, just like a table with a toaster and a kettle on it and a fridge and a great big bin in the middle of the room. I didn't like it :/ The girl seemed happy enough there though.

I think Sailsbury and Lady Montford are meant to be nice halls at Carnatic :smile:

hey, just a quick question :smile: on your comment you have the bit at the bottom about your uni options and that countdown thingy how do you put them there? .. sorry its a random question :smile:

thanks
Reply 11
hey, just a quick question :smile: on your comment you have the bit at the bottom about your uni options and that countdown thingy how do you put them there? .. sorry its a random question :smile:

thanks

Hi, I got it from tickerfactory.com. It's pretty straight forward from there and then you can just copy the code into your sig :smile:
Reply 12
I'm a little worried about the kitchens because you have to make lunch etc with catered! weekdays it'll probably only be sandwiches or something simple like that, but the kitchens weren't that appealing!
I've applied to rankin, mcnair, and salisbury. the boy rankin said they meet up and have predinks in their kitchen - it wasn't huge, but it'd fit everyone in. One of the halls i went to see (cant remember which now!) had the smallest kitchen which would fit two people at a push D:
Reply 13
Original post by Rebecca001
I'm a little worried about the kitchens because you have to make lunch etc with catered! weekdays it'll probably only be sandwiches or something simple like that, but the kitchens weren't that appealing!
I've applied to rankin, mcnair, and salisbury. the boy rankin said they meet up and have predinks in their kitchen - it wasn't huge, but it'd fit everyone in. One of the halls i went to see (cant remember which now!) had the smallest kitchen which would fit two people at a push D:

The ones that I saw with a tiny kitchen were in Roscoe and Gladstone :/ but like you say you'll inly need to use them for making lunch :smile:
Reply 14
The ones that I saw with a tiny kitchen were in Roscoe and Gladstone :/ but like you say you'll inly need to use them for making lunch :smile:

true.. i just hope no one decides they want a midnight munch while half drunk and decide to eat all my food D: haha
Reply 15
true.. i just hope no one decides they want a midnight munch while half drunk and decide to eat all my food D: haha

Haha from what i saw the cupboards all seemed to have locks ... but yer its still a possibility haa!
Reply 16
Haha from what i saw the cupboards all seemed to have locks ... but yer its still a possibility haa!

oh i didnt know that! clearly i wasn't paying enough attention. well that's put my mind at ease a little, i would get quite annoyed if i constantly find my lunch going missing :P

what course have you applied for?
Reply 17
oh i didnt know that! clearly i wasn't paying enough attention. well that's put my mind at ease a little, i would get quite annoyed if i constantly find my lunch going missing :P

what course have you applied for?

yer that would be a bit of a pain haha erm physics for new technology you?
Reply 18
yer that would be a bit of a pain haha erm physics for new technology you?

oohh sounds interesting! :smile: medicine for me haha. gosh its so weird thinking we'll probably be at liverpool in just a few months time (hopefully!!!!)
Reply 19
oohh sounds interesting! :smile: medicine for me haha. gosh its so weird thinking we'll probably be at liverpool in just a few months time (hopefully!!!!)

medicine wow! 5 months... which is an odd thought haha. im getting quite excited but i do have the ususal, moving away from home, being alone, not knowing anyone worries :/ we also have ****ty exams before hand... which im also dreading haa, i think the pressure that its know or never to get the exam right is hitting me hard :/

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending