The Student Room Group

2012 Medicine Re-Applicants Mark I

Scroll to see replies

I am all about the studying right now... 28 days until my first exams! EEP!!!

The bf is away for a year to America (7 months to go!) for his bloody PhD in Nonsensology. He wants to be an academic which means he'll have a far more flexible timetable than I will... :colone: Can't wait for him to get back though, I will be all :sexface:

Also, I think mums work harder. I've never made every hour in my day more useful in my entire life than I have done in the past 4 years. I sat my second year uni exams for Eng Lit when I was 8 months pregnant. My mum got a first class honours with 4 kids and had her fourth kid between 2nd and 3rd year.

Perhaps it's the family I have (women tend to be *ahem* very driven and intelligent) but I don't see why you can't have a family, study and work. It's not THAT difficult.

Though I have to say, it helps loads if you have a very supportive family and partner.
Reply 981
Original post by Harbour Seal

The bf is away for a year to America (7 months to go!) for his bloody PhD in Nonsensology. He wants to be an academic which means he'll have a far more flexible timetable than I will... :colone: Can't wait for him to get back though, I will be all :sexface:

I think I'd die without my boyfriend for that long, I'll spend 3-4 weeks at the most away from him and most of the time that's really hard. Especially the last few weeks when I really needed him :/
Original post by Tinth
I think I'd die without my boyfriend for that long, I'll spend 3-4 weeks at the most away from him and most of the time that's really hard. Especially the last few weeks when I really needed him :/

It has its difficulties, but it's not bad :frown: the way I see it is that he would never (dare) tell me to not do medicine, so I couldn't really turn around and moan at him about this. It is his choice, but it's necessary for his career. Plus, he's a moany bastard and I can't be arsed with him half the time. :rolleyes: :wink:

Definitely missing :sexface: though. May go mental without it. Thank god for exams to fill the void. :indiff:
Reply 983
Orite everyone, how has everyone been? I took a few weeks break from this and the amount of innane chatter and self-absorbed posts I have to read through is sickening! (It's what us TSRers are best at!) I left at around page 19 and its on page 49! (20posts per page).

Has everyone sent away letters demanding feedback from interviews erc? I am currently doing that now! Urgh.
Original post by baztech
Orite everyone, how has everyone been? I took a few weeks break from this and the amount of innane chatter and self-absorbed posts I have to read through is sickening! (It's what us TSRers are best at!) I left at around page 19 and its on page 49! (20posts per page).

Has everyone sent away letters demanding feedback from interviews erc? I am currently doing that now! Urgh.

aberdeen uni gave terrible feedback. It is just a generic letter. :mad:
Original post by laurenl93
:lolwut:

That's crazy.
What I don't understand is how people can get four offers and then reject the two they don't want in may when the uni has already given all it's rejections out?
Im just pleased my mums got past the stage of "but why do people who are doing 6 resits in summer get an offer and you don't?" and "so why does your best friend get two offers and you have none?" and she went through this phase of saying about how down and worried she was and how bad it all is, she jut generally used to make me upset all the time by pointing put how much I want do medicine and questioning how the medicine system is flawed because I'm "stuck with nothing".
Truly inspirationa that woman. :facepalm:

My mum's now past that stage but I think the rest of my family are now entering it, 'do you not at least have 1?!' or 'have you got anymore interviews' when I clearly have 4 rejections :angry: Ah the many joys of an asian family :tongue:
Reply 986
I am all about the studying right now... 28 days until my first exams! EEP!!!

Also, I think mums work harder. I've never made every hour in my day more useful in my entire life than I have done in the past 4 years. I sat my second year uni exams for Eng Lit when I was 8 months pregnant. My mum got a first class honours with 4 kids and had her fourth kid between 2nd and 3rd year.

Perhaps it's the family I have (women tend to be *ahem* very driven and intelligent) but I don't see why you can't have a family, study and work. It's not THAT difficult.

Though I have to say, it helps loads if you have a very supportive family and partner.

Wow, you really are SUCH an inspiration :smile:

You best stick around on this thread - we need amazing people like you to keep us going :smile:

Original post by rubberduck
My mum's now past that stage but I think the rest of my family are now entering it, 'do you not at least have 1?!' or 'have you got anymore interviews' when I clearly have 4 rejections :angry: Ah the many joys of an asian family :tongue:

Haha my family can't believe I got 4 rejections, and can't understand why I'm taking a gap year - and my family is as British as you can get!
Original post by twelve

Haha my family can't believe I got 4 rejections, and can't understand why I'm taking a gap year - and my family is as British as you can get!

I guess its a unanimous response regardless of your ethnicity then!
Original post by twelve
Wow, you really are SUCH an inspiration :smile:

You best stick around on this thread - we need amazing people like you to keep us going :smile:

Original post by rubberduck
I guess its a unanimous response regardless of your ethnicity then!

My mum was all "are you sure there's no chance you'll get an offer this year?!!??!??" and then Tge rest of my family were "don't worry about it you'll get in next year"
My family are very British :smile:

Must be gutting having the whole of your family questioning you, my mums bad enough!
Its alright though cus they'll be saying how happy try are for us when we get out offers next year :h:

From unis we actually wanna go to!!
Reply 989
My mum was all "are you sure there's no chance you'll get an offer this year?!!??!??" and then Tge rest of my family were "don't worry about it you'll get in next year"
My family are very British :smile:

Must be gutting having the whole of your family questioning you, my mums bad enough!
Its alright though cus they'll be saying how happy try are for us when we get out offers next year :h:

Yep, exactly!

We'll all get four offers and be able to brag about having a choice of universities :P

Very true, I guess they only want the best for us at the end of the day :smile:

Original post by twelve
Yep, exactly!

We'll all get four offers and be able to brag about having a choice of universities :P

haha that really would be a dream come true :smile:
Mum's wanting me to bug the life out of Dundee until I get a place since my feedback was actually pretty good... :teehee: I don't think she quite understands the people I'm up against...
(edited 13 years ago)
Mum's wanting me to bug the life out of Dundee until I get an interview since my feedback was actually pretty good... :teehee: I don't think she quite understands the people I'm up against...

Mums. Ffffs. :colonhash:
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
Mums. Ffffs. :colonhash:

That was meant to be "get a place" I definitely got an interview... :rolleyes:
That was meant to be "get a place" I definitely got an interview... :rolleyes:

They're so sure they know, but they don't. :nopity:
Original post by Mask Of Sanity
They're so sure they know, but they don't. :nopity:

That's nothing compared to the shock of the college kids ... "But you're, like, really smart and you talk like a doctor... I don't understand. Want us to do them?"
That's nothing compared to the shock of the college kids ... "But you're, like, really smart and you talk like a doctor... I don't understand. Want us to do them?"

Sounds like something my school friends would say. Heck, even something I'd say and have said. :rofl2:
Reply 997
real talk guys....how many graduates out there will be applying for the 5 year program? Im scared competition is gonna get a lot more fierce since tuition fees is going up. Also do u reckon that medschools will also bump up their academic requirements for the 4 year program? as in they will now only consider students with a 1st class if it comes down to it. No hope for me then :frown:
Original post by b-beauty
real talk guys....how many graduates out there will be applying for the 5 year program? Im scared competition is gonna get a lot more fierce since tuition fees is going up. Also do u reckon that medschools will also bump up their academic requirements for the 4 year program? as in they will now only consider students with a 1st class if it comes down to it. No hope for me then :frown:

No chance they will consider 1st class students only. Very few people have them, in the first place. If that happened, there would be very few people getting in and loads of available places.

I am going to apply for 5 year courses, but in Scotland. I hope the Scottish universities raise the fees for English students and graduates, otherwise we will get too many English people applying here to escape the fees in england, and that would be a terrible thing for Scottish students.

The competition will stay about the same in england, however, it will sky rocket in Scotland if the fees remain the same for English students next year.
Reply 999
It has its difficulties, but it's not bad :frown: the way I see it is that he would never (dare) tell me to not do medicine, so I couldn't really turn around and moan at him about this. It is his choice, but it's necessary for his career. Plus, he's a moany bastard and I can't be arsed with him half the time. :rolleyes: :wink:

Definitely missing :sexface: though. May go mental without it. Thank god for exams to fill the void. :indiff:

i can fill the void :sexface: extremely well :teehee:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending