The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Clare College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

W.H.T
Well, medicine is a type of degree where the actual university is irrelevant when considering job prospects. If you're equally happy with your other choices in terms of the location and course-structure etc, I don't see the point in applying to cambridge.

I purposefully strayed away from suggesting that I would be equally happy. :p: I love my other choices - hence why, out of all the medical schools I could have applied to, they're in my top 4 - but they're not quite "the dream".

Yeah, I'm fussy. :rolleyes:
I'm probably just projecting. Anxiety about not getting any offers at all, perhaps?
Still, Clare College = :love:
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
You could explain your illness in the SAQ - they have a form thingy on their which asks about extenuating circumstances/ explanations for any grades etc. That'd fall under that.

For the remark, you can say that you're awaiting a remark. if the grade changes, you can then e-mail them when you find out. Don't worry - i did this and e-mailed them to say "Oh, you know that Gr4 paper i'm getting remarked? Well, good news: it's gone up to a D" (Yes, i really was this good at german :biggrin:)

Oxford may be an idea though they'll look at GCSEs too. But, hey, if you want to apply to Cambridge, just go for it. The worst that can happen? They say no. But if you don't go for it and you really want to, you'll just spend ages wondering whether you could have made it after all.
gethsemane342
You could explain your illness in the SAQ - they have a form thingy on their which asks about extenuating circumstances/ explanations for any grades etc. That'd fall under that.

For the remark, you can say that you're awaiting a remark. if the grade changes, you can then e-mail them when you find out. Don't worry - i did this and e-mailed them to say "Oh, you know that Gr4 paper i'm getting remarked? Well, good news: it's gone up to a D" (Yes, i really was this good at german :biggrin:)

Oxford may be an idea though they'll look at GCSEs too. But, hey, if you want to apply to Cambridge, just go for it. The worst that can happen? They say no. But if you don't go for it and you really want to, you'll just spend ages wondering whether you could have made it after all.

Good advice, thanks. :biggrin:

The only reason I don't want to point to my illness as an "extenuating circumstance" is that then I'll be required to provide a letter confirming my diagnosis, plus a note from my psychiatrist saying that it had an effect on my studies. Being under 18, and therefore not being able to be given an official diagnosis, plus having only been with my psychiatrist post-January exams, suggests that this might not get me very far! :o:

Haha, excellent! :p: Reminds me of the good old days of German, glad I got out when I did! How'd they react to the news of your new score (even if it still wasn't quite what you wanted!); did it seem like it was properly acknowledged, or pretty much slipped under their radar?
houseelf
Good advice, thanks. :biggrin:

The only reason I don't want to point to my illness as an "extenuating circumstance" is that then I'll be required to provide a letter confirming my diagnosis, plus a note from my psychiatrist saying that it had an effect on my studies. Being under 18, and therefore not being able to be given an official diagnosis, plus having only been with my psychiatrist post-January exams, suggests that this might not get me very far! :o:

Haha, excellent! :p: Reminds me of the good old days of German, glad I got out when I did! How'd they react to the news of your new score (even if it still wasn't quite what you wanted!); did it seem like it was properly acknowledged, or pretty much slipped under their radar?

It's sort of, just something for them to think about. I don't know if they'll require a note. I actually used it to explain my german (which ended up being 55% self-taught due to lack of anyone to teach me) (as i don't speak german, trying to teach it to myself was a bit of a fail) and they didn't bring it up. You could just say you've been coping with an illness and not elaborate?

They just thanked me and never mentioned it again :p:. It was actually an extra A level done a year early. I also didn't tell them that i'd been fully expecting to fail every paper so getting a D was enough to set me off cheering in the common room :biggrin:
gethsemane342
It's sort of, just something for them to think about. I don't know if they'll require a note. I actually used it to explain my german (which ended up being 55% self-taught due to lack of anyone to teach me) (as i don't speak german, trying to teach it to myself was a bit of a fail) and they didn't bring it up. You could just say you've been coping with an illness and not elaborate?

They just thanked me and never mentioned it again :p:. It was actually an extra A level done a year early. I also didn't tell them that i'd been fully expecting to fail every paper so getting a D was enough to set me off cheering in the common room :biggrin:

Fair enough, that's something to think about. Thanks, to be honest I didn't even know the SAQ had a section for that sort of thing, I thought it was mostly just about declaring your UMS marks.

:biggrin: I see! Yeah, I managed to teach myself Spanish up to about 80% of GCSE level, and that was enough of a nightmare, so I think you did pretty damn well to get that D to be honest!

Anyway, thanks for the help. Means a lot. :smile:
Why has a bunch of crap been merged into the Clare college thread? It looks like another case of the moderators' prerogative to 'merge at any opportunity, however inappropriate'
Are there any art rooms at Clare?
(edited 13 years ago)
Has anyone had a reply from Clare yet? :smile:
Obvious question, but when you say "art rooms" do you mean rooms with art in them, or rooms containing facilities to paint, sculpt, etc.? If it's the former (which I doubt) then there are absolutely loads of them, although they're mostly paintings of benefactors or alumni in function rooms. If it's the latter, then the answer's "not really". That said, there will almost certainly be somewhere in Cambridge to paint: there's a society for almost everything!
So, are there any (hopefully) new Clareites who've just received offers out there on TSR? Please do say hello!
Reply 1030
Original post by Languages Nutter
So, are there any (hopefully) new Clareites who've just received offers out there on TSR? Please do say hello!

Received an offer from Clare on the 6th for Theology and Religious Studies :smile:
So excited! Never thought I'd actually get an offer :smile:
Reply 1031
Original post by shn00
Received an offer from Clare on the 6th for Theology and Religious Studies :smile:

I know this will sound really intrusive, but can you please tell me what you got in your GCSEs and at AS? Thank you :redface:
Original post by shn00

Congratulations! And congratulations on a great college choice :smile:

I'm guessing it's an A*AA offer?
Reply 1033
I've been looking through the forums and I haven't seen many other people who have an offer from Clare, has anyone else here got one? No one I know got a place so I'm quite nervous about being on my own; it would be quite nice if I knew a few people before I get there, even if just by name. I got an offer to do MML: French and ab initio Italian, and I can't wait! I just hope I manage to get the grades now! I keep telling myself that I shouldn't get my hopes up too high in case I don't get in, but I can't help just imagining myself there all the time! :P
Original post by JB_27
I've been looking through the forums and I haven't seen many other people who have an offer from Clare, has anyone else here got one? No one I know got a place so I'm quite nervous about being on my own; it would be quite nice if I knew a few people before I get there, even if just by name. I got an offer to do MML: French and ab initio Italian, and I can't wait! I just hope I manage to get the grades now! I keep telling myself that I shouldn't get my hopes up too high in case I don't get in, but I can't help just imagining myself there all the time! :P

Hello - there's really no need to be nervous! I'm in my first year doing MML at Clare and have really found it to be a really welcoming place. I came in knowing basically no-one at Clare in my year, but got to know people really quickly. They make a real effort to introduce you to people, especially those doing your subject (there'll be a subject picnic in the first few days...)

Speaking of helping you to settle in, you may not have heard about the College parents system. Basically, every fresher is assigned two "parents" in the year above (who "marry" during their first year). One of your parents will be doing your subject, and you'll have a College sibling too. They cook for you on the first night, will get in touch before you start at College to ask about any questions.

On that note, if you've got any questions about MML or Clare feel free to ask! We're a friendly bunch at Clare and on TSR :wink:
My sixth form is organising a trip to Cambridge for the Clare College open day and we will be staying overnight. What is the accommodation like? Do people share or does each person get their own accomodation? Help is appreciated.
Original post by vedderfan94
My sixth form is organising a trip to Cambridge for the Clare College open day and we will be staying overnight. What is the accommodation like? Do people share or does each person get their own accomodation? Help is appreciated.

You will get your own room, and the accommodation will be very nice - quite probably en-suite.
Original post by The West Wing
You will get your own room, and the accommodation will be very nice - quite probably en-suite.

Do the college provide a duvet and pillow as they did at interview or not? :h: Also, what else do we need generally? :biggrin: Will the room have its own kettle/are we allowed to bring a kettle? :coffee:
Reply 1039
This will probably be moved to the Clare thread but I'll answer anyway:

College provide a duvet and a (not very good) pillow. I brought my own in both 1st and 2nd years. Bring stuff that you'll need for day to day living: you get a lamp, a bed, a desk and a bin in your room (and shelving) - everything else you'll have to provide yourself. If you want to put posters up they're not that hot about blu-tak, so bring some picture rails.

You won't have a kettle in your room, but depending on which staircase you're on you'll be sharing a small kitchen (called a gyp room) between 4-5 (or 8 at most in X staircase) with two hot plates, a microwave and a kettle. Some people like to have their own kettle in their room, but seeing as you're generally not allowed a fridge in your room (apart from for dietary reasons) you're going to have to get milk from the kitchen anyway...

Congratulations on making your offer.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending