The Student Room Group

Government Legal Service

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by Ethereal
It isn't even really an area in its own right. Unless you get in a specific team in a specific department your exposure will be fairly limited.

Which department would you recommend for this type of work? I'm also interested in litigation and employment law.

Just out of interest, which department do you work in and what kind of work does it involve, if you don't mind me asking?
Reply 21
Original post by ToffeeMuffin
Which department would you recommend for this type of work? I'm also interested in litigation and employment law.

Just out of interest, which department do you work in and what kind of work does it involve, if you don't mind me asking?

Difficult. The policy for the HRA is held by MOJ, but then they don't litigate. For litigation you need to think about TSol, HMRC or one or two others but then your involvement in human rights will be litigating the alleged breaches.

I am a litigator but we're now helpfully told we are not allowed to make known who we work for :rolleyes:
Reply 22
Difficult. The policy for the HRA is held by MOJ, but then they don't litigate. For litigation you need to think about TSol, HMRC or one or two others but then your involvement in human rights will be litigating the alleged breaches.

I am a litigator but we're now helpfully told we are not allowed to make known who we work for :rolleyes:

Oh...why?? :redface:
Reply 23
Original post by ToffeeMuffin
Oh...why?? :redface:

We've never quite figured it out
Reply 24
Does anyone know whether the GLS will accept TC applications from penultimate year non-law students? I know Herbert Smith does, and I'd quite like the experience, even if I just have to apply again next year...
Reply 25
website has eligability on it.
Reply 26
Hi, I have a question about gls applications. I am currently in my penultimate year of a non-law degree. Are the applications starting in July 2011 for entry in 2012? Or would I apply for a GDL next academic year and then apply for the GLS in the summer of 2012? I know it says final year for non-law students but I'm not sure when that means if the applications are done over the summer.

I've looked on the site but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!
Reply 27
Original post by MrGumby
Hi, I have a question about gls applications. I am currently in my penultimate year of a non-law degree. Are the applications starting in July 2011 for entry in 2012? Or would I apply for a GDL next academic year and then apply for the GLS in the summer of 2012? I know it says final year for non-law students but I'm not sure when that means if the applications are done over the summer.

I've looked on the site but couldn't find anything.

Thanks!

They recruit 2 years in advance, so in 2011 for TC's starting in 2013. I believe if you have to do the GDL you would apply next year for the GLS as you want your TC to start in 2014
How easy is it to move from say the magic circle to the GLS a few years PQE when you want kids and so on?
Reply 29
Depends if they are recruiting. Also the no late nights or weekends isn't true across the board
Reply 30
Original post by Aerasay
They recruit 2 years in advance, so in 2011 for TC's starting in 2013. I believe if you have to do the GDL you would apply next year for the GLS as you want your TC to start in 2014

Thanks!
Reply 31
I know someone said earlier that GLS is as hard to get into as a commercial firm; is this true? I hear them saying they are one of the largest recruiters of graduates so I assumed that it was less of a struggle to get past at least the initial stages. Nevertheless, I really would love to work for them because its en route to becoming parliamentary counsel
Reply 32
It is true. Gls is awfully hard to get in to
Reply 33
It is true. Gls is awfully hard to get in to

Damn! And it's really hard to get any work experience with public law firms; the only thing I really have is a criminal defence firm. Adds to the disappointment that no VC was offered this year! Gonna start my application tomorrow. Are you a trainee with the GLS?
Reply 34
I'm going to apply soon. The application process is loooong.
Reply 35
Good luck both
On the application form it asks you to specify if you want to be a Trainee Solicitor or Pupil barrister or if you have no preference.

Are you likely to be viewed as indecisive if you select 'either' ?

Also 2500 applications for 20 places. Wow.
Reply 37
Original post by tropical brainstorm
On the application form it asks you to specify if you want to be a Trainee Solicitor or Pupil barrister or if you have no preference.

Are you likely to be viewed as indecisive if you select 'either' ?

Also 2500 applications for 20 places. Wow.

No, you're not. However, read the list of recruiting departments very carefully and make sure the one you would put as your preference actually offers pupilage.
Reply 38
Did the application earlier today, its so long! Does anybody know of any other public law firms? I've searched all over
Reply 39
is there really much public law involved? :s i am applying for pupillages at the moment and was thinking of applying to the GLS but not too sure if the kind of work they do at the departments specified are anything like pupillages at ordinary chambers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending