The Student Room Group

Help! 3 Unconditional Offers from Durham, Northumbria and Sunderland.

I really need some advice on which university to choose!

I have an unconditional offer from Durham to study applied psychology and unconditional offers Northumbria and Sunderland to study psychology.

I never thought I would get these offers with only a BTEC in Art and Design, so anyones thoughts and advice would be really helpful!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Durham. Thread.
Reply 2
Northumbria

Spoiler

Agreed, Durham is way the best plus applied psychology sounds way more interesting
Reply 4
Original post by Victor-PP

Northumbria

Spoiler

Thats just it, I've done far to much googling and read so many different things that I've just confused myself more!
The one thing that's putting me off Durham is that I have a four year old and I need to take in to account time as I live an hours drive from Durham Queens Campus but only 20 minutes from Northumbrias Campus.
Reply 5
Northumbria

Spoiler

Perhaps the most reputable university doesn't always offer the "best" course or department though? Best in terms of teaching and research, or in terms of offering what a certain person values (including student support)? I've often said that I'd prefer to study law at Northumbria than at Durham (despite being viewed as one of the strongest and most reputable law departents in the country). I have my reasons but they're not relevant to this thread.

Northumbria's other strengths include business, built environment, fashion and information management so there's not much of a comparison with Durham there as, with the exception of the first, Durham don't offer those courses.

I cannot comment on Psychology.

Original post by mucha88
Thats just it, I've done far to much googling and read so many different things that I've just confused myself more!
The one thing that's putting me off Durham is that I have a four year old and I need to take in to account time as I live an hours drive from Durham Queens Campus but only 20 minutes from Northumbrias Campus.

I've asked that this thread be moved to the psychology forum. Also, the thread you've created in Durham will probably reiceve a biased response (having said that...so will this one...). It's better if this thread is in psychology as it is ore "visible" there. Although the university specific forums are often viewed, the main North, Midlands and South are not.

If you have questions about Newcastle's course specifically and want feedback from student's then feel free to ask in the Newcastle Unis forum. Similar if you have questions about certain aspects of Durham's course you can ask in Durham.

Anyway, I'm assuming some of the things you have been hearing about is that, whilst Durham is held in very high esteem, people are snobby about Queen's Campus?
Reply 6
Original post by River85

Original post by River85
Perhaps the most reputable university doesn't always offer the "best" course or department though? Best in terms of teaching and research, or in terms of offering what a certain person values (including student support)? I've often said that I'd prefer to study law at Northumbria than at Durham (despite being viewed as one of the strongest and most reputable law departents in the country). I have my reasons but they're not relevant to this thread.

Northumbria's other strengths include business, built environment, fashion and information management so there's not much of a comparison with Durham there as, with the exception of the first, Durham don't offer those courses.

I cannot comment on Psychology.

I've asked that this thread be moved to the psychology forum. Also, the thread you've created in Durham will probably reiceve a biased response (having said that...so will this one...). It's better if this thread is in psychology as it is ore "visible" there. Although the university specific forums are often viewed, the main North, Midlands and South are not.

If you have questions about Newcastle's course specifically and want feedback from student's then feel free to ask in the Newcastle Unis forum. Similar if you have questions about certain aspects of Durham's course you can ask in Durham.

Anyway, I'm assuming some of the things you have been hearing about is that, whilst Durham is held in very high esteem, people are snobby about Queen's Campus?

Yeah I never thought off putting it in the psychology forum, how can I move this thread or do will I create a new one?
Why on earth would you go to university and then decide which one to go to based on the length of the commute... .priorities much?

Move house, with your 4 year old, if its really a problem.
Reply 8
Original post by mucha88
Yeah I never thought off putting it in the psychology forum, how can I move this thread or do will I create a new one?

You can't move it yourself. I've asked for it to be moved by a mod (I don't have power in this particularly forum. I used to... :emo: )
Original post by mucha88
I really need some advice on which university to choose!

I have an unconditional offer from Durham to study applied psychology and unconditional offers Northumbria and Sunderland to study psychology.

I never thought I would get these offers with only a BTEC in Art and Design, so anyones thoughts and advice would be really helpful!

DURHAM. :facepalm:
Reply 10
Original post by HistoryRepeating
Why on earth would you go to university and then decide which one to go to based on the length of the commute... .priorities much?

She has a 2 year. I living child that belongs to you is way more important than going to the this uni and that uni.:rolleyes: The child take priority because it is more important.

Move house? It is not like she can move into halls with a kid and buys a new house in not like buying a pint of milk. also if she moves to durham will that mean that she is too far away from family to use them for child care? it could also mean her partner has to move.

I cannot believe you think a uni comes before a child.... I really hope your able to change that attitude before you end up with a child.

OP - Northumbria do have a good psychology department and a good uni. Yea they are not Durham but if you know your life will be easier if you go there then you will find the degree easier. Worrying about transport all week will not help you get good grades.
You can do just as well at Northumbria as you can a Durham uni if you work hard.
I got a place at a really good uni last year but due to family issues I had to stay in Newcastle and go to Northumbria and I have not regretted it. I have had a great first year, been given loads of support and felt calm knowing that I am close to family support.
Also I have saved a lot of money living in Newcastle because it is very cheap for accommodation here, compared to somewhere like Durham.

Please dont feel like you are doing a bad thing by not going to Durham. Getting a degree is hard enough as it is, why put extra stress on your self.
You only live once so always do the things you will enjoy the most. :smile:
Original post by anon2010
She has a 2 year. I living child that belongs to you is way more important than going to the this uni and that uni.:rolleyes: The child take priority because it is more important.

Move house? It is not like she can move into halls with a kid and buys a new house in not like buying a pint of milk. also if she moves to durham will that mean that she is too far away from family to use them for child care? it could also mean her partner has to move.

I cannot believe you think a uni comes before a child.... I really hope your able to change that attitude before you end up with a child.

OP - Northumbria do have a good psychology department and a good uni. Yea they are not Durham but if you know your life will be easier if you go there then you will find the degree easier. Worrying about transport all week will not help you get good grades.
You can do just as well at Northumbria as you can a Durham uni if you work hard.
I got a place at a really good uni last year but due to family issues I had to stay in Newcastle and go to Northumbria and I have not regretted it. I have had a great first year, been given loads of support and felt calm knowing that I am close to family support.
Also I have saved a lot of money living in Newcastle because it is very cheap for accommodation here, compared to somewhere like Durham.

Please dont feel like you are doing a bad thing by not going to Durham. Getting a degree is hard enough as it is, why put extra stress on your self.
You only live once so always do the things you will enjoy the most. :smile:

All universities offer assisted living facilities for single parents.

The university you go to is incredibly important.
Reply 12
All universities offer assisted living facilities for single parents.

They are not cheep and you still not considering close family support. Will the uni move her family there too?

The university you go to is incredibly important.

No... how you use your degree and what skills you learn in your degree are important. The actual institutions name will only help a little in some situations. The uni you go to is not the be all and end all of an academic career, esp at undergrad.
Reply 13

I believe my priorities are already in the right order, the welfare and needs of my son come before anything else. Therefore moving him out of the area where his family and friends would not benefital to him.

I'm prepared to drive the commute every day, I just don't want to if I don't need to.

My main issue is, what impact on my future will Durham REALLY have?
Reply 14
Original post by mucha88
I believe my priorities are already in the right order, the welfare and needs of my son come before anything else. Therefore moving him out of the area where his family and friends would not benefital to him.

I'm prepared to drive the commute every day, I just don't want to if I don't need to.

My main issue is, what impact on my future will Durham REALLY have?

I am a mature student who has been to uni twice. So I feel I can say with confidence that it does not matter that much at all which uni you go to.

Yes top unis like Durham tend to have more graduates in work or further study but that is mostly because a lot of the students at Durham are very bright and they end up getting higher grades. where as students at lower ranking unis did not need to be as bright to get into uni and so dont get as high marks.
You are obviously bright so if you are able to get a 2.1 or above from Northumbria or Sunderland then you will still have a similar chance as other undergrads at Durham.

If you want a career in psychology then your post grad qualification will be what matters. Unis are not allowed to discriminate by uni when choosing for post grad so it wont matter where you go. What will matter more is if you have relevant work experience and you have a good clear understanding of your academic and career goals.

Maybe it would be a good idea for you to call Northumbria or go to an open day and discuss it with them. Tell them what you want to achieve from your degree and they will be able to tell you weather other students at the uni have achieved that. If they have then you can.

I have a friend who just finished a psychology degree at leeds met. She got a 2.1 and due to her good work experience managed to get a place at Prinston uni and Oxford uni for her PhD. She had average Alevels and GCSEs. So it goes to show that the uni you do your undergrad at is not a big deal if you make the skill you learn matter and get the right work experience.
Reply 15

I am a mature student who has been to uni twice. So I feel I can say with confidence that it does not matter that much at all which uni you go to.

Yes top unis like Durham tend to have more graduates in work or further study but that is mostly because a lot of the students at Durham are very bright and they end up getting higher grades. where as students at lower ranking unis did not need to be as bright to get into uni and so dont get as high marks.
You are obviously bright so if you are able to get a 2.1 or above from Northumbria or Sunderland then you will still have a similar chance as other undergrads at Durham.

If you want a career in psychology then your post grad qualification will be what matters. Unis are not allowed to discriminate by uni when choosing for post grad so it wont matter where you go. What will matter more is if you have relevant work experience and you have a good clear understanding of your academic and career goals.

Maybe it would be a good idea for you to call Northumbria or go to an open day and discuss it with them. Tell them what you want to achieve from your degree and they will be able to tell you weather other students at the uni have achieved that. If they have then you can.

I have a friend who just finished a psychology degree at leeds met. She got a 2.1 and due to her good work experience managed to get a place at Prinston uni and Oxford uni for her PhD. She had average Alevels and GCSEs. So it goes to show that the uni you do your undergrad at is not a big deal if you make the skill you learn matter and get the right work experience.

Thank you for the advice, it has helped alot.
Reply 16

dont talk shi,,,t you clearly have no idea what your talking about and your misleading a mature student with a child....unis do discriminate at postgraduate ESPECIALLY in psychology because its soooo competitive...this seriously isnt funny ...you cant just make up any old rubbish and call yourself informed...im actually quite upset about this post...

If i could butt in tho...queens camp' at durham is applied psychology...not psych' at main campus which could trip you up when applying for post grad as you may not have the right core modules to do your phd??? look up at individual course modules to check if this is the case...if you can do your preferred phd from durhams undergrad queens program then i highly suggest you do it...even if it introduces more inconvenience in your lifestyle.
northumbria is def second choice but be weary abou the uni you will be going to as realistically there is feirce competition out there from thousands of other psych grads from far better unis
Reply 17
Original post by lionboy
dont talk shi,,,t you clearly have no idea what your talking about and your misleading a mature student with a child....unis do discriminate at postgraduate ESPECIALLY in psychology because its soooo competitive...this seriously isnt funny ...you cant just make up any old rubbish and call yourself informed...im actually quite upset about this post...

Oh sorry did you apply to these unis and get rejected :frown:

You can be as angry as you want but my story is still true. It is not just a story this girl is someone I have known for years and am good friends with. It is not just something I heard, it is something I KNOW.

Sorry you so jealous of her.
Reply 18
Oh sorry did you apply to these unis and get rejected :frown:

You can be as angry as you want but my story is still true. It is not just a story this girl is someone I have known for years and am good friends with. It is not just something I heard, it is something I KNOW.

Sorry you so jealous of her.

lol no i didnt apply to these universities, that was actualy quite a poor response...lacking any rationality...also she may well have achieved this amazing opportunity but do not pretend for one second that this is even a slightly regular occurance as all other evidence would support the contrary and that psychology is ridiculously competitive...i can imagie your friend was probably quite old...had graduated for some time and had many many years of work experience under the belt...this is impracticle for a mom with a young son and by going to Durham will arguably reduce the amount of extracurricular needed to prove ones ability to study at post grad..also your friend is only one example to the many ex-poly grads who do not have jobs in anything(as in no real career at all) whilst a Durham degree is far more versatile in other careers. So your example proves very little par from the idea that if you go to northumbria you could always get lucky??? great advice :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Durham is the most prestigious uni...you did well do get that on an art and design btec, hats off to you, your PS must have been amazing

Quick Reply

Latest