The Student Room Group

Is David Cameron right that mass immigration has damaged communities?

Scroll to see replies

Yes, Need I say more?
Reply 141
Original post by Make it so.
Yep, many times. Your point?

no point, just asking :cockup:
Original post by baldwin123
How do you know what people would react to, you self righteous so and so...

Nice to see you ignoring the relevant bit about it being impossible for people to immigrate to the UK and go 'straight onto benefits', you know the bit in my post that countered your earlier remark about people turning up in the UK to go onto benefits, you know, showing it to be no more than ignorant *******s.

'A family from the USA and a family from Poland are immigrating to the UK, who would you let in?'

Ask this question to as many so called 'anti-immigration' supporters as you like. You will not be surprised by the answers.
(edited 13 years ago)
If you're going to be ridiculous and accuse me of something, have the decency to explain why.

Why am I a hypocrite?

For the simple fact that you have announced yourself as a descendant of Immigrants, yet you voice concern over the state of the current Immigration policies.

Do you not think that the same concerns were raised during your grandparents times and duly ignored by the government in the same way as now? Perhaps you will argue that it is all a matter of "degree" but we are talking semantics there really, arent we.
Original post by Samrout
Nigel Farage: Too many Eastern Europeans have entered Britain. If that isn't ****ing racist, I don't know what is.

Cameron has pretty much slagged off every hard working immigrant that has entered the UK. Whatever happened to his black friend who joined the navy after getting fed up with primary school? Obviously the big C has decided to disregard his ancestry, despite their offspring being so committed to the UK that they gave up years of education to join the Navy. Dumb dumb dumb dumb dumb why did he ever open his mouth dumb.

your first comment is not racist in any way, he just says too many have entered, if 1 billion immigrants came here from all over the world within a matter of weeks, and i said "too many are coming", then how the **** is that racist? its pure fact, just shut up you PC ****.
Original post by MillerTraub
Nice to see you ignoring the relevant bit about it being impossible for people to immigrate to the UK and go 'straight onto benefits', you know the bit in my post that countered your earlier remark about people turning up in the UK to go onto benefits, you know, showing it to be no more than ignorant *******s.

'A family from the USA and a family from Poland are immigrating to the UK, who would you let in?'

Ask this question to as many so called 'anti-immigration' supporters as you like. You will not be surprised by the answers.

Yes, and there you lose the supposed moral highground by making ill founded judgements about people whom you know nothing about.

You're "relevant" bit about benefits is not valid either because there are myriad forms of help, financial and otherwise which immigrants are immediately entitled to according to our glorious leaders.
Reply 146
Original post by Ventura7
your first comment is not racist in any way, he just says too many have entered, if 1 billion immigrants came here from all over the world within a matter of weeks, and i said "too many are coming", then how the **** is that racist? its pure fact, just shut up you PC ****.

It was not only a lie but the fact he singled out eastern europeans was what disgusted me. Eat a dick.
Original post by Samrout
It was not only a lie but the fact he singled out eastern europeans was what disgusted me. Eat a dick.

just because you single out a race does not make someone racist, if a Scottish person said too many English are coming here, no one would batter an eye lid. So you think its a lie? how can someone's opinion be a lie?

To some people 1 person would be too many, to others a million would be too many. you cannot call an opinion a lie.
I thought he told you to shut up you PC****.
Reply 149
What does this achieve?

Either people supporting immigrants and feel that they're being unfairly picked against or it's people who believe they're a threat to British tradition, bring crime, poverty & unhealthy competition to British citizens.

Just seems like the speech was a delibrate big distraction tbh, in my opinion, the question is what?
Yes, and there you lose the supposed moral highground by making ill founded judgements about people whom you know nothing about.

You're "relevant" bit about benefits is not valid either because there are myriad forms of help, financial and otherwise which immigrants are immediately entitled to according to our glorious leaders.

No, there is no real help for immigrants, they have to work hard and make huge sacrifices just to be able to put food on the table.

What makes you think that it is ill-founded?
Reply 151
Original post by Scottish
How dare you say the British are lazy. The British are the hardest working people in Europe, before the reccession we had one of the lowest unemployment rates in Europe and the longest working hours. British people are not lazy, the vast, vast majority of British people work extremely hard. When you mean lazy British people make sure that you explain that you are refering to the tiny minority of long term unemployed, not the vast majority of hard working Brits, ****ing idiot.

yes british are lazy, we were classified as hardworking cos of the same immigrants you're slating they were the ones who made up 70% of long working hours, majority of brits does less hour shifts and most dont work on weekends, unfortunately european statistics count hours worked in a country not who actually worked them!
Reply 152
I thought he told you to shut up you PC****.

your parents, assuming they haven't died from malnutrition or AIDs, clearly haven't shown you enough affection during your life. This is why you're a racist little prick.
Original post by MillerTraub
No, there is no real help for immigrants, they have to work hard and make huge sacrifices just to be able to put food on the table.

What makes you think that it is ill-founded?

It is an ill founded judgement for very obvious reasons isnt it? You have stated as fact that all people who hold anti immigration views prefer Americans to Poles. Did I get it wrong? Do you not credit anyone besides yourself with the ability to make rational and discerning decisions based on current economic and socio-political conditions?
For the simple fact that you have announced yourself as a descendant of Immigrants, yet you voice concern over the state of the current Immigration policies.

Do you not think that the same concerns were raised during your grandparents times and duly ignored by the government in the same way as now? Perhaps you will argue that it is all a matter of "degree" but we are talking semantics there really, arent we.

So I'm not allowed to discuss immigration simply because my parents were immigrants? That's a bit unfair. If anything my being brought up in an immigrant community gives me more exposure and experience with immigrants and a more balanced opinion of the benefits that immigration can bring. Why should I be prevented from commenting on immigration?

If you look at what I posted you would see that I'm suggesting immigration should be better controlled, NOT severely reduced or stopped completely, as this may impact the economy, which a recent poll suggests is of more concern to the 'vast majority' than even immigration at the moment.

It isn't a case of being conservative and trying to prevent others having the same opportunities my parents had. Nor, is it a case of allowing anyone in to satisfy my liberal need to be kind to my fellow man.

It's simply a case of common sense. Sustainable numbers linked to economic, social and environmental concerns, as well as safeguarding the human rights of those fleeing persecution.

I still don't see why you felt the need to call me a hypocrite. Seems very reactionary.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 155
Original post by Ventura7
just because you single out a race does not make someone racist, if a Scottish person said too many English are coming here, no one would batter an eye lid. So you think its a lie? how can someone's opinion be a lie?

To some people 1 person would be too many, to others a million would be too many. you cannot call an opinion a lie.

scottish and english are the same.
Original post by Samrout
your parents, assuming they haven't died from malnutrition or AIDs, clearly haven't shown you enough affection during your life. This is why you're a racist little prick.

And you're parents, assuming that you know them have raised one bitter and unpleasant little **** stain.
Reply 157
Original post by Samrout
scottish and english are the same.

I have no problem with English people coming to Scotland. And yes we are genetically identical.
So I'm not allowed to discuss immigration simply because my parents were immigrants? That's a bit unfair. If anything my being brought up in an immigrant community gives me more exposure and experience with immigrants and a more balanced opinion of the benefits that immigration can bring. Why should I be prevented from commenting on immigration?

If you look at what I posted you would see that I'm suggesting immigration should be better controlled, NOT severely reduced or stopped completely, as this may impact the economy, which a recent poll suggests is of more concern to the 'vast majority' than even immigration at the moment.

It isn't a case of being conservative and trying to prevent others having the same opportunities my parents had. Nor, is it a case of allowing anyone in to satisfy my liberal need to be kind to my fellow man.

It's simply a case of common sense. Sustainable numbers linked to economic, social and environmental concerns, as well as safeguarding the human rights of those fleeing persecution.

I still don't see why you felt the need to call me a hypocrite. Seems very reactionary.

If you reduce you're comments to their core, I still think that they can be seen as a little hypocritical, however you seem like a nice guy and I actually agree with some of what you said, so I do n't really want to get into a slanging match with you.
It is an ill founded judgement for very obvious reasons isnt it? You have stated as fact that all people who hold anti immigration views prefer Americans to Poles. Did I get it wrong? Do you not credit anyone besides yourself with the ability to make rational and discerning decisions based on current economic and socio-political conditions?

Not all, but a significant amount.

There are people who can rationally argue an anti-immigration standpoint. However, the majority of people that try to do so inevitably isolate certain groups of immigrants. At the moment, there is a lot of hate for polish immigrants (simply look at any thread such as this one).

Anyway, the relevant points were that immigrants do NOT get significant support from the government, they are NOT able to apply for benefits.

This whole speech by Cameron is simply an effort to gain some short term support for the elections. Shifting the blame for current unemployment from the government, to the immigrants.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending