The Student Room Group
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Awoodrow2
Can I just ask what any applicants have been told about costs of accommodation this year?

http://www.dur.ac.uk/study/accommodation/costs/
Chemistry Research, Durham University
Durham University
Durham
Visit website
Can I just ask what any applicants have been told about costs of accommodation this year?

If you're in Trev's, you'll have to get a 38 week let which is £5505. Yes this is ridiculous, the student union have been campaigning against it all of last term and there's another campaign now.

Hopefully it will be changed so that you can have a cheaper 33 week let. However if you have funding issues then your college will definitely help you.

EDIT - just noticed you're a current student! Sorry! I'll leave this post for any potential freshers who want to know though.
(edited 13 years ago)

Some colleges only have 38 week lets :mad:
Thanks guys. Between the open days and now, the price of accommodation in my college has risen by £500, with the side-effect of stopping the open days for good.

We don't know who made this decision (as all our student reps were mandated to oppose it, and the Vice Chancellor said it wouldn't happen), but it was made a couple of weeks ago, spotted by Palatinate a few days ago, and noticed by my college president last night. Since then 500 people have joined a Facebook group in protest, with another 2000 invited.

I was wondering if they'd bothered to inform the prospective students, since it took this long for current students to find out.
Reply 4804
Original post by ColonelJammie
Archaeology BA :-)

I see you're doing Chemistry - we'll be up on the Science Site together then!

I assume you're living in college?

Yep, I'll be living in college. Don't have any family or friends nearby (Dublin is as close as one friend is to Durham... not commuter distance really). I'm really looking forward to living in college, especially given the location of John's and the size of Durham, i.e. tiny :smile:)

Will you be living in college?
Original post by magicalelf
I got given a sheet with the lists of pricings on at my open day. I think it was around 4050 for standard non-catered. and I think it was 5056 or around that for standard catered, this is for cuths, idk if it varies between colleges?

Also i was thinking does anyone think itd be a good idea for a durham firmers thread, like ive saw a few other unis have?

That would be a good idea - help keep track of people! :smile:

Thanks guys. Between the open days and now, the price of accommodation in my college has risen by £500, with the side-effect of stopping the open days for good.

We don't know who made this decision (as all our student reps were mandated to oppose it, and the Vice Chancellor said it wouldn't happen), but it was made a couple of weeks ago, spotted by Palatinate a few days ago, and noticed by my college president last night. Since then 500 people have joined a Facebook group in protest, with another 2000 invited.

I was wondering if they'd bothered to inform the prospective students, since it took this long for current students to find out.

Which college is that? I've just noticed that freshers at St Aiden's will be charged the higher 38 week rate to cover Easter and Christmas, but I was at the open day this year during the Easter holidays and everyone seemed to have gone home and we were using their rooms so I'm confused.
FOR ALL DURHAM FIRMERS MAYBE WE SHOULD MAKE ANOTHER THREAD HERE

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=30897563#post30897563

Keep track of who's who and where they are going and whatnot :wink:
Original post by KayteeKaytee
Which college is that? I've just noticed that freshers at St Aiden's will be charged the higher 38 week rate to cover Easter and Christmas, but I was at the open day this year during the Easter holidays and everyone seemed to have gone home and we were using their rooms so I'm confused.

I think the let covers easter but most people go home - but there is storage during holidays at least :smile: I was a bit confused by that too as there seemed to be only a few people there!

The compulsary 38 week lets only start next year, hence why we're protesting now. If the 38 week lets are enforced the current students will technically still have their rooms over both the Christmas and Easter holidays so the residential open days that you, and most applicants, went to would probably have to be discontinued. This is awful given it's such a turning point for many people in their decision to come to Durham, especially as it has a reputation for being small, boring, posh and not diverse. Plus these open days are unique as far as I know...it'll be a huge shame to lose them.

Original post by purple-girl

What she said.
Reply 4811
Original post by eve_m
woo Grey! sorry, thought I'd jump in there, I firmed Grey for History :biggrin:

yessssss !!! cu in October I guess :wink:
The compulsary 38 week lets only start next year, hence why we're protesting now. If the 38 week lets are enforced the current students will technically still have their rooms over both the Christmas and Easter holidays so the residential open days that you, and most applicants, went to would probably have to be discontinued. This is awful given it's such a turning point for many people in their decision to come to Durham, especially as it has a reputation for being small, boring, posh and not diverse. Plus these open days are unique as far as I know...it'll be a huge shame to lose them.

I can't believe this it's expensive enough already but now we have to pay for extra weeks when most of us won't even be there!

Thanks for trying to do something for us freshers.
Original post by Silent-Varjoisa
I can't believe this it's expensive enough already but now we have to pay for extra weeks when most of us won't even be there!

Thanks for trying to do something for us freshers.

There was a meeting for the movement yesterday, with 21 people, including 6 JCR (SCR for Hild Bede) Presidents, 3 DSU Sabbatical Officers and 1 elect, as well as the President of the DUS (debating society) - and a couple of people like me of no real importance.

So it's actually organised by people who are supposed to have influence within the university, and from all across Durham; though Trevs is definitely over-represented.

We will actually take action. :smile:
Just firmed Chad's for Philosophy! Heck yeahhh xD

A lot of people are making decisions and firming places based on the belief that fully catered fees will be £5,082. It is wrong to announce this later because ,for some, this might make fully catered accomodation out of their reach.

Universities are obliged to inform prospective students of tuition fees before they make decisions and can't change them later. The same should apply to college costs.
Reply 4816
Original post by angelmxxx
Some colleges only have 38 week lets :mad:

Can I just check which colleges these are? I got a letter from Van Mildert recently that gave a price for a 33 week let so I'm guessing (hoping) that Mildert isn't one of them?
I'd struggle to afford the 38 week one.

Thanks.
Original post by Folie
Can I just check which colleges these are? I got a letter from Van Mildert recently that gave a price for a 33 week let so I'm guessing (hoping) that Mildert isn't one of them?
I'd struggle to afford the 38 week one.

Thanks.

Mildert is one of them, according to their website.
http://www.dur.ac.uk/van-mildert.college/undergraduate/fees/

How recent was your letter?
The best thing to do is to ring up the college asap and ask what exactly the options are, how much it will cost and what financial help they have to help you. :smile:
Original post by LondonGirl22

Original post by LondonGirl22
Just firmed Chad's for Philosophy! Heck yeahhh xD

You could put this on the Durham Firmers thread too.
Reply 4819
Original post by angelmxxx
Mildert is one of them, according to their website.
http://www.dur.ac.uk/van-mildert.college/undergraduate/fees/

How recent was your letter?
The best thing to do is to ring up the college asap and ask what exactly the options are, how much it will cost and what financial help they have to help you. :smile:

Fantastic :/ I have a letter dated 6th April that says "the basic charge for standard-term time accommodation, including all meals will be approx £4980 p.a. There will also be a number of rooms available for an extended letting period". So that's more than £500 difference. Not very impressed to be honest seeing as I could have had a room at Warwick (self-catered admittedly for £70 a week). Seems a bit late to be springing it on students.

Rant over. I guess I just need to contact the college to find out more. £5500 seems extortionate though, when there's no choice of accommodation within colleges price-wise.

Latest