The Student Room Group

Mackintosh VS Sheffield HELP????

Hey, ive got offers from both GSA and sheffield and i am so intensely confused which to pick cos i really like both and their ranked the same on the AJ100!!

One of things i was hoping you could help me with was which one is more arty. i know this sounds like a stupid question because glasgow is a school of art but everyone tells me that architecture isn't actually that arty there...

Another thing that i am worried about is the thing that i saw that GSA and its the thing where they get rid of the ones that aren't good enough after year 3 so they won't even get their degree

ive also got offers from newcastle and manchester (got rejected from Robert Gordons as well???) but im not really interested in them.

Bob x

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You should go to the GSA because I'm going there next year. lol

From what I understand about the GSA after three years you getyour part 1, but they won't allow you to continue with the work term or Part 2 if your grades aren't good enough. But no matter what you get your BA, and you can apply to do your part II at a different school.
I've heard that GSA is good at combining the artsy stuff with the technical stuff, which would be good if you were planning on actually having a career in architecture.
I'm not 100% about all of that, but it's what I have been told/ read on their website.
Reply 2
I would say that Sheffield is the more arty one. The Mac tend to do actual buildings all the time from what I've seen of their work. Don't let the word 'art' put you off - the Glasgow School of Art doesn't really mean anything and Sheffield's school of architecture is in the 'Art's tower'. As for which one is better, I'm not really sure. Sheffield probably has a very, very, slightly better reputation. Personally, I'd go with Sheffield but that's just me.
Reply 3
*There is a recent post where I explained how a 4 year scottish degree in architecture works it's called "A few questions..as i'm confused" it also gives some of my views on the system so you should have a look at it.

If you look at the work of both schools you will see they are at opposite ends of the spectrum where arty is concerned. The Mac is far from an arty school even though it's part of the GSA it is it's own school. The work at the Mac is all about the architecture within the urban landscape and after 1st year it is very real, dealing with practical architecture realities rather than projects that look good viz'd up and have no walls.
Reply 4
yeh, so i had a look at that a few questions confused one... interesting... but how likely is it that you don't meet that 60% is it just those who aren't really interested or do some decent people miss the grade??

and surely there are lots of people who r quite arty like me that go to GSA and are developed into more practical architects that are still quite creative because im guessing it isn't as practical as somewhere like bath? also if ur at GSA then does is bother you that its quite a small uni or is it a good thing??? sorry for all the questions!
Original post by BobScott
yeh, so i had a look at that a few questions confused one... interesting... but how likely is it that you don't meet that 60% is it just those who aren't really interested or do some decent people miss the grade??

and surely there are lots of people who r quite arty like me that go to GSA and are developed into more practical architects that are still quite creative because im guessing it isn't as practical as somewhere like bath? also if ur at GSA then does is bother you that its quite a small uni or is it a good thing??? sorry for all the questions!

60% is hard to get. I am not joking!
Original post by Ex Death
I would say that Sheffield is the more arty one. The Mac tend to do actual buildings all the time from what I've seen of their work. Don't let the word 'art' put you off - the Glasgow School of Art doesn't really mean anything and Sheffield's school of architecture is in the 'Art's tower'. As for which one is better, I'm not really sure. Sheffield probably has a very, very, slightly better reputation. Personally, I'd go with Sheffield but that's just me.

wrong. the architecture and landscape department moved over to crookesmoor and it is on some massive steep hill.
Reply 7
Original post by yeahyeahyeahs
wrong. the architecture and landscape department moved over to crookesmoor and it is on some massive steep hill.

Cringe.

cos ur wrong

its going back to the arts tower next year and it looks like its gonna be enjoyable

x
Cringe.

cos ur wrong

its going back to the arts tower next year and it looks like its gonna be enjoyable

x

NEXT YEAR.

Till then its NOT at the art tower.

Don't tell me crap because I studied at Sheffield university and in that arts tower and I still have Sheffield friends there.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by yeahyeahyeahs
NEXT YEAR.

Till then its NOT at the art tower.

Don't tell me crap because I studied at Sheffield university and in that arts tower and I still have Sheffield friends there.

OK dinnie go raj. Its just cos I may be going next year so I'm not bothered about the crookesmoor building and probs why Ex Death mentioned it.

and how enjoyable did you find Sheffield then and why r u not still there??
Reply 10

Last year about half the students made it to 4th year, so from 120 students in 3rd year 60 of those were allowed to continue on. 60% is pretty hard to get, remember these are all students that got in with AAA+ or close to it and the course is marked on a curve. They only have places for 60 continuing students and then the other 20 come from other schools or are international masters students.

To me it was a big school, I came from a school that had a graduating class of under 40 but Glasgow is full of students and GSA students mix freely, Thursday nights are popular with all the different university students at the GSA union.
Reply 11
Original post by KeyserNI
Last year about half the students made it to 4th year, so from 120 students in 3rd year 60 of those were allowed to continue on. 60% is pretty hard to get, remember these are all students that got in with AAA+ or close to it and the course is marked on a curve. They only have places for 60 continuing students and then the other 20 come from other schools or are international masters students.

To me it was a big school, I came from a school that had a graduating class of under 40 but Glasgow is full of students and GSA students mix freely, Thursday nights are popular with all the different university students at the GSA union.

The other thing that i saw was that the student satisfaction was rubbish at GSA something like 51% and Sheffield was way higher. Does that actually mean something or are you all just grumpy!

And as well as that im quite looking the look of Sheffield at the moment but don't know if having to pay the fees will be worth it cos I'm Scottish and wont have to pay fees at GSA???
Reply 12
Well I'm guessing it's not a surprise or coincidence given the 51% umber that the student satisfaction is low when they cut half the class after third year which is when the survey is taken.
both are great schools, but i would recommend Sheffield - sounds like more your type of course, higher student satisfaction, located in the arts tower which has only just opened again after being refurbished (and has amazingly cool lifts) and is a really great city in which to be a student. brand new accommodation too.
Reply 14
OK i think i now prefer the look of Sheffield but not sure if the massive debt would be worth it .....

So should i just go to GSA cos tuition will be free for me????:doh:
Reply 15
GSA, it's cheaper, much much better city (an absolute **** load of students about the place, nice architecture to boot), you'll get better tutors as glasgow practices > sheffield practices.

P.S. GSA girls are hot. Crazy hot.
Reply 16
So should i just go to GSA cos tuition will be free for me????:doh:

Yes you should. You'd be an idiot to not go to the GSA if it's free.
Reply 17
Original post by renzo
you'll get better tutors as glasgow practices > sheffield practices.

Also, this is wrong.
Reply 18
I'd have to say that almost half of the tutors are from Edinburgh practises and half from Glasgow practises, mainly because the capitals or very big cities are where the big architecture money is spent, it's where you tend to find the best concentration of architecture whether or not this indicates where the best practises would base themselves you'll have to make your own decision on that.

GSA girls are indeed crazy hot.
Reply 19
Original post by Ex Death
Also, this is wrong.

based on what? page & park, gordon murray, NORD, gareth hoskins etc. I honestly can't name one sheffield based office.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending