The Student Room Group
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough

maths at loughborough

hi, i really want to take maths at loughborough because they have the best gym in the country and i love it.
Im doing a 3rd year at sixth form and at the end i will have 4 Alevels in:
Maths(A*)
Further Maths(A)
Chemistry(C)
Economics(B)
there offer is AAB so i should beable to get in. But making my decision on about 80% of the fact there gym is immense is probably not the best. But i cant think of anywhere else to apply. Any ideas?
Reply 1
LOL.. we don't have the best gym in the country! Maybe the best Uni gym but there are plenty of better commercial gym's than Powerbase.
Students on campus at Loughborough University
Loughborough University
Loughborough
Two of my housemates do maths (one first and one second year) and they both seem to enjoy it. They have a lot of work to do but the department has a good reputation and they seem to get a good variety of modules. One has just got a placement at the national office of statistics as well.
Reply 3
I've firmed Lough for Maths G100 for 2011 entry :biggrin:
If you got any maths related qs, fire away....
Reply 5
@louboutinlove

What is the first year accomodation like?
How many hours of work do your friends have to do a day?
What is the socail life like, i hear the student union is the best in the country?
Reply 6
I've firmed loughborough for maths.. the university is mint
Reply 7
I'm going to loughborough, all i've got to do next is the accomodation :biggrin: sooo looking forward to it :biggrin: loughborough was made for me :smile:

What accomodation does everyone want? I like Robert bakewell or hazelrigg rutland, they are basically the same but i think i will go for bakewell as it's bigger so more people to meet :smile:
Original post by scottb3scott
How many hours of work do your friends have to do a day?

6 modules a semester, 2hrs lectures, 1hr tutorial for each a week and 2hrs a week working on tutorial sheets for each roughly. So 30hrs a week? But then it's really down to the individual.

Expect similar for all 3 years, plus coursework on top. Though coursework is dependent on what choices you make year 2 and 3.
Reply 9
Original post by LittleBill
6 modules a semester, 2hrs lectures, 1hr tutorial for each a week and 2hrs a week working on tutorial sheets for each roughly. So 30hrs a week? But then it's really down to the individual.

Expect similar for all 3 years, plus coursework on top. Though coursework is dependent on what choices you make year 2 and 3.

so a little more than 4hours a day? thats cool. Not much contact time though?

Yeah, it's really dependent on how much work you choose to do outside of lectures. That said, 18 hours of contact a week is toward the upper end. Also, lecturers will have no problem with seeing you in their office if you need more help with anything.

18 hours a week is the maximum contact time you'd get for pretty much any degree, anywhere in the country. Just make sure you go to the tutorials :wink:
hi guys

could anyone please tell me how the course is taught at loughborough and how about the course content?

many thanks
Original post by Sawwah
I'm going to loughborough, all i've got to do next is the accomodation :biggrin: sooo looking forward to it :biggrin: loughborough was made for me :smile:

What accomodation does everyone want? I like Robert bakewell or hazelrigg rutland, they are basically the same but i think i will go for bakewell as it's bigger so more people to meet :smile:

loughborough is my insurance choice?

btw i know you from the open day way back to march or april 12/13 , can't recall the exact day it was . you are the twin grils, right?
Original post by NightKings
hi guys

could anyone please tell me how the course is taught at loughborough and how about the course content?

many thanks

If you're doing straight maths, you'll have 6 modules a semester that are 10 credits each, giving 120 credits for the year. You need 100 credits to pass the year. First year I think all modules are compulsory, thinks like calculus and linear algebra. Then you got more options over the next two years. If you tell us the course, we can find out for you (or just go on the website yourself).
Reply 15
Hey everyone thanks for help. I got an offer from loughborough on the 17th of november of AAB and i will be firming it soon. sounds like ive made a good decision reading all your comments back.
I'm studying maths in lboro, 2nd year.

LOUGHBOROUGH IS AMAZING. IT IS LIKE NO OTHER UNI. AND DONT BELIEVE THE BULLCRAP ABOUT IT HAVING A CRAP NIGHTLIFE. ITS A SMALL TOWN, BUT YOU'LL NEVER GET BORED HERE.

(and the new powerbase opening after xmas looks incredible!)
Original post by Spongebob*No*Pants
I'm studying maths in lboro, 2nd year.

LOUGHBOROUGH IS AMAZING. IT IS LIKE NO OTHER UNI. AND DONT BELIEVE THE BULLCRAP ABOUT IT HAVING A CRAP NIGHTLIFE. ITS A SMALL TOWN, BUT YOU'LL NEVER GET BORED HERE.

(and the new powerbase opening after xmas looks incredible!)

I hear the train station looks better now as well... I love how the 'people' in town slag off students, yet they've essentially bought the Olympics to Loughborough...
Original post by little_wizard123
I hear the train station looks better now as well... I love how the 'people' in town slag off students, yet they've essentially bought the Olympics to Loughborough...

Train station's still getting some work done on it at the moment (platform extensions) but I reckon it'll look a damned sight better once it's done then it did a few weeks ago - not to mention be able to have trains unload passengers from all carriages!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending