The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by liviaaa
Yes, plus you obviously jazz it all up on your personal statement and say how much it taught you etc :wink:

I think GP sounds intersting due to the variety but I'm not a fan of office jobs!

Haha, that's an inevitable part of the PS. :p:

It wasn't an office job as such since he was moving around to see patients and doing home visits/going other places to visit vulnerable patients e.g. old people's homes... that said, there was a fair amount of sitting in front of computer time. :p:
Reply 1621
Original post by thegodofgod
Probably talk about how the hear pumps blood around the body and then if blood didn't get back, there would be no blood to pump and hence no oxygen would get to cells, which would lead to cell death etc.

Couldn't you just stand up, and stick your head down and show that your head will go red due to blood draining to it? :tongue:
Original post by Unbiased Opinion
Frigging hell, you're doing the work experience to find out why medicine and why not nursing. :eek: Prove that blood flows around the body? Harsh. :p: I know we have pulses in our groin (:colone:) but how would you answer that?

Ah, that's reassuring but then they're med students and have possibly romanticised or excluded from memory the worst bits of the interview. :p:

The blood flows around the body one was asked by Oxford to one of the registrars who happened to be nearby and decided to ask me the same question. I suggested things like if you scratch yourself or a limb is amputated, blood pours showing it's flowing somewhere under pressure, and depending on the time era you can use radioactive tracing to follow the blood around the body. It was a reference to a doctor who discovered it many years ago (can't remember the name) who measured the blood leaving the aorta, and blood entering via the vena cava somehow and found them to be the same volume. And the nursing one is more about how nurses have to follow protocol, and have very little opportunity to make decisions unlike doctors, and doctors get to learn a lot about why everything works, which interests me.
(edited 13 years ago)

I know right!

I should be glad that he's going to do medicine and all but I'm not - I'm a bit pissed that he'll get in even though he's a really big a**hole

So I really hope he doesn't get in :colone:

Hahaa, as bad as it sounds I think the same thing for lots of people. Don't get me wrong, there's some who I genuinely want to get an offer, but some, I'm like please be serious, or, you're an idiot, I don't want you to get in, please don't compete with me :puppyeyes:

Seems like this whole application process is really going to bring out the worst in me :lol:
Original post by liviaaa
It's more like 80-90 %.

I was looking at the med application page on TSR and someone this year got offers from Cambridge with only 4 A*s at GCSE?!

Yeah, Cambridge isn't too GCSE whorey, but Oxford is.

But I think both look at your AS UMS and scrutinize them pretty thoroughly - they want all 90% UMS and above :s-smilie:
Reply 1625
Haha, that's an inevitable part of the PS. :p:

It wasn't an office job as such since he was moving around to see patients and doing home visits/going other places to visit vulnerable patients e.g. old people's homes... that said, there was a fair amount of sitting in front of computer time. :p:

Haha :tongue:

Oh okay cool! Yeah, but any doctor has the paperwork (as noted from Junior Doctors, haha..) but paper work is sometimes fun. :tongue:
Reply 1626

But I think both look at your AS UMS and scrutinize them pretty thoroughly - they want all 90% UMS and above :s-smilie:

Only Cambridge look at UMS, not Oxford?
Original post by liviaaa

Oh okay cool! Yeah, but any doctor has the paperwork (as noted from Junior Doctors, haha..) but paper work is sometimes fun. :tongue:

From what I saw on work experience, it seems to be a lot more tedious than fun. Maybe I missed out on seeing the 'fun' paperwork ;P
Original post by oHellno
Hahaa, as bad as it sounds I think the same thing for lots of people. Don't get me wrong, there's some who I genuinely want to get an offer, but some, I'm like please be serious, or, you're an idiot, I don't want you to get in, please don't compete with me :puppyeyes:

Seems like this whole application process is really going to bring out the worst in me :lol:

You couldn't be more right lol :colondollar:
Probably talk about how the hear pumps blood around the body and then if blood didn't get back, there would be no blood to pump and hence no oxygen would get to cells, which would lead to cell death etc.

Ah, that makes sense, but then it wouldn't necessarily have to circulate around the whole body for that to happen, if you know what I mean.
Reply 1630
Original post by Normandy114
From what I saw on work experience, it seems to be a lot more tedious than fun. Maybe I missed out on seeing the 'fun' paperwork ;P

Maybe just me then. :tongue:
Original post by liviaaa
Only Cambridge look at UMS, not Oxford?

Yh, think so - not too sure on that but I'm not applying to either of them so doesn't really bother me :redface: (I know it's a bit of a parochial point of view but sod them :tongue:)
Original post by Normandy114
The blood flows around the body one was asked by Oxford to one of the registrars who happened to be nearby and decided to ask me the same question. I suggested things like if you scratch yourself or a limb is amputated, blood pours showing it's flowing somewhere under pressure, and depending on the time era you can use radioactive tracing to follow the blood around the body. It was a reference to a doctor who discovered it many years ago (can't remember the name) who measured the blood leaving the aorta, and blood entering via the vena cava somehow and found them to be the same volume. And the nursing one is more about how nurses have to follow protocol, and have very little opportunity to make decisions unlike doctors, and doctors get to learn a lot about why everything works, which interests me.

You sound like you're going to be amazing at interviews. :smile: That all makes sense, thanks.
Original post by liviaaa

I can imagine it would be an opportunity to get away from fast-paced stress, but too much paperwork would get so boring! I think medical life will be more bureaucratic by the time our generation get to be docs. :frown:
I'm taking Business AS level. fml.
Reply 1635
Yh, think so - not too sure on that but I'm not applying to either of them so doesn't really bother me :redface: (I know it's a bit of a parochial point of view but sod them :tongue:)

yeah me either - the BMAT is too risky.
I think medical life will be more bureaucratic by the time our generation get to be docs. :frown:

Definitely :frown:

Yeah they rejected someone because 85% UMS was too low...:erm:
Reply 1638
I got 96, 92, 90 %, does that mean I could of applied to Cambridge :smile: ? :biggrin:
You sound like you're going to be amazing at interviews. :smile: That all makes sense, thanks.

Thanks :smile: Now to just get an interview. Going to try GP's office for work experience next chance I get, but the earliest I'll be able to do without missing school will have to be summer holidays, seeing as half term is right in between my exams.

Latest

Trending

Trending