The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Legit
I got 96, 92, 90 %, does that mean I could of applied to Cambridge :smile: ? :biggrin:

Yeah, you would have had a good shot at getting an interview - the rest really depends on the interview and Personal Statement, Reference from your teachers and that sort of stuff.
Reply 1641
Original post by Legit
I got 96, 92, 90 %, does that mean I could of applied to Cambridge :smile: ? :biggrin:

Could of? Did you already apply this year? :smile:

But anyone can apply, there's nothing stopping anyone.
Original post by Normandy114
Thanks :smile: Now to just get an interview. Going to try GP's office for work experience next chance I get, but the earliest I'll be able to do without missing school will have to be summer holidays, seeing as half term is right in between my exams.

:redface: - all of my exams are over before the May/June half term, so I called up some local GPs today and one of them said to call on Monday to speak to their practice manager. Hope it all works out :smile:.

Good luck getting your work experience

At least your work experience (people?) encouraged you to become a doctor - when I was on my work experience at a hospital, every surgeon / surgical trainee / anaesthetist was dissuading me, saying it's not worth it etc. :s-smilie:
Reply 1643
Original post by thegodofgod
Yeah, you would have had a good shot at getting an interview - the rest really depends on the interview and Personal Statement, Reference from your teachers and that sort of stuff.

You forgot the most important one, BMAT :smile:

My reference was amazing, I pretty much wrote all of it considering how my teacher typed it up in front of me :biggrin:

Original post by liviaaa
Could of? Did you already apply this year? :smile:

But anyone can apply, there's nothing stopping anyone.

No I didn't, I kinda never liked Oxbridge :tongue: Was just interested if I could of applied with a decent chance :tongue:

At least your work experience (people?) encouraged you to become a doctor - when I was on my work experience at a hospital, every surgeon / surgical trainee / anaesthetist was dissuading me, saying it's not worth it etc. :s-smilie:

This.

EVERYONE at my work experience and even medical students (approaching/in final year) told me not to do medicine, some even told me to consider Dentistry instead :lol: so much for encouragement. Only the main doctor I was shadowing said how great medicine is, but I think she felt inclined to say all that haha
:redface: - all of my exams are over before the May/June half term, so I called up some local GPs today and one of them said to call on Monday to speak to their practice manager. Hope it all works out :smile:.

Good luck getting your work experience

Ouch, wonder why they were so dissuasive. On mine I mentioned how I was being put off by the competitiveness of it, but they made me realise how everything worth anything is competitive anyway. Plus I found out my school is twice as competitive as medicine, which makes me feel a bit better about it all lol.
Reply 1646
Original post by Rassam
I'm taking Business AS level. fml.

Are you from London that your so interested in all those London Unis?

And btw, Business studies is a really good skill as a doctor, I bought this up in my interview. Helps you deal with difficult decisions, 'building up a rapport' with customers/patients and dealing with difficult patients etc. Working with people, communications, loads!
Original post by Legit
My reference was amazing, I pretty much wrote all of it considering how my teacher typed it up in front of me :biggrin:

OMG!

All of my teachers keep on threatening us by saying they're gonna write us sh**ty references if we don't pull our socks up and all that sh*t :frown:

And one of my biology teachers (who used to be a lecturer at Manchester) gives us even more sh*t by saying that it's not about what they write, it's about what they don't write :s-smilie:
Reply 1648
they loved my history as level, we chatted about 16th century Russia :lol:

Plus I found out my school is twice as competitive as medicine, which makes me feel a bit better about it all lol.

I know mine is competitive, don't know just how competitive but my mum always tells me this to reassure me lol :')
Reply 1650
Hey there (:

I am hopefully applying to Medicine this year. Just a quick question really. Say one was to live in the very south of England, and they wanted to apply to somewhere very northern, if they were to get an interview would they have to pay the ridiculous amount of money to get up there themselves, or is there any sort of subsidisation? I don't fancy paying £100 quid to get from London (not southern, but my initial point was theoretical and extreme) to Newcastle for an interview, if I were to be rejected. Alternatively.. skype? (wishful thinking).
Plus I found out my school is twice as competitive as medicine, which makes me feel a bit better about it all lol.

damn!

must have been hard to get in to!

our school's quite competitive - it's full of brown people though, so like half of them want to do medicine :mad:

(really exaggerated, but I found out that in my school year of around 140 pupils, about 45 want to do medicine :wtf:)
Reply 1652
OMG!

All of my teachers keep on threatening us by saying they're gonna write us sh**ty references if we don't pull our socks up and all that sh*t :frown:

And one of my biology teachers (who used to be a lecturer at Manchester) gives us even more sh*t by saying that it's not about what they write, it's about what they don't write :s-smilie:

Trust me they will write a good one in the end, they just want to scare you and stuff. If you get into medical school, the college also benefits.

But seriously, your college seems like one of them really fancy ones :tongue: Mines pretty crap so I got away with lots of things.
I'm hoping to apply for medicine aswell :smile: I'm finding it really difficult to try a get some volunteer work in a care home etc though, because of my age and CRB checks :\
Original post by Organ

Original post by Organ
they loved my history as level, we chatted about 16th century Russia :lol:

If you don't mind me asking, where did you apply? :colone:
Reply 1655
Original post by Currieg
Hey there (:

I am hopefully applying to Medicine this year. Just a quick question really. Say one was to live in the very south of England, and they wanted to apply to somewhere very northern, if they were to get an interview would they have to pay the ridiculous amount of money to get up there themselves, or is there any sort of subsidisation? I don't fancy paying £100 quid to get from London (not southern, but my initial point was theoretical and extreme) to Newcastle for an interview, if I were to be rejected. Alternatively.. skype? (wishful thinking).

I know Southampton give your money back, Newcastle don't. I had my interview at Newcastle, Im from London, and cost me £95 to go up there and back. I'll probs be firming Newcastle, and now I bought my ticket for £30 there and back! All you need to do is book in advance and use a Rail Card.
Original post by Currieg
Hey there (:

I know that they offer skype interviews for international applicants, but I'm not sure about home applicants.

They do offer free overnight accommodation if you need to stay overnight though, if it's any consolation :redface:
Reply 1657
Oh, and your never going to get an interview over Skype. They'll just reject you considering your too lazy to even go up there for an interview, how the hell are you going to study there for 5 years?!
Reply 1658
Original post by oHellno
If you don't mind me asking, where did you apply? :colone:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showpost.php?p=30658447&postcount=342

If I was applying again I would swap Cardiff for Bristol, Notts would be my number one - so it's all good :biggrin:

Original post by Currieg
Hey there (:

No way.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Legit
Trust me they will write a good one in the end, they just want to scare you and stuff. If you get into medical school, the college also benefits.

But seriously, your college seems like one of them really fancy ones :tongue: Mines pretty crap so I got away with lots of things.

Yup, really fancy in terms of their expectations of us - but **** in terms of budget etc. - our school is so poor.

Although having said that, they did invest in a new multi-million pound swimming pool and a new "multi-purpose" hall, and now they're constructing a cool library - which my year won't get to use :frown:
(edited 12 years ago)

Latest