The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1660
Original post by Legit
Oh, and your never going to get an interview over Skype. They'll just reject you considering your too lazy to even go up there for an interview, how the hell are you going to study there for 5 years?!

It's not a case of being lazy. It's more the case of £200 in total for my interviews really rocking the boat financially..
Reply 1661
Original post by thegodofgod
Yup, really fancy in terms of their expectations of us - but **** in terms of budget etc. - our schools so poor.

Although having said that, they did invest in a new multi-million pound swimming pool and a new "multi-purpose" hall, and now they're constructing a cool library - which my year won't get to use :frown:

My college doesn't have a playground for 6 Formers, we got a midgety common room which is also a 'quiet study zone'. Be grateful for what you have :smile:
Original post by Currieg
Hey there (:

I am hopefully applying to Medicine this year. Just a quick question really. Say one was to live in the very south of England, and they wanted to apply to somewhere very northern, if they were to get an interview would they have to pay the ridiculous amount of money to get up there themselves, or is there any sort of subsidisation? I don't fancy paying £100 quid to get from London (not southern, but my initial point was theoretical and extreme) to Newcastle for an interview, if I were to be rejected. Alternatively.. skype? (wishful thinking).

Not entirely sure why/how I've ended up in this thread but anyway, have you considered flying? In all seriousness. I have a friend who flies from Leeds to Southampton every term!
Reply 1663
Original post by Currieg
It's not a case of being lazy. It's more the case of £200 in total for my interviews really rocking the boat financially..

I know, but they will see it as lazyness. They get loads of applicants who come from like Singapore but you can't be bothered to come up :tongue: They won't like it, if you don't want to pay then just don't apply; there is no way they'll skype it for you.
Reply 1664
Original post by oHellno
This.

EVERYONE at my work experience and even medical students (approaching/in final year) told me not to do medicine, some even told me to consider Dentistry instead :lol: so much for encouragement. Only the main doctor I was shadowing said how great medicine is, but I think she felt inclined to say all that haha

My dentist told me NOT to be a dentist. :tongue:
Reply 1665
Original post by Legit
I know, but they will see it as lazyness. They get loads of applicants who come from like Singapore but you can't be bothered to come up :tongue: They won't like it, if you don't want to pay then just don't apply; there is no way they'll skype it for you.

I'll cycle. Or pogo stick. Atleast that way i'll look lean(er) and healthy. How long is there between confirming that one has an interview and the date of the interview.. got a training schedule to plan now haha. "I pogo sticked up here because I couldn't afford the travel costs" I reckon that'd go down as reasonably determined?
Reply 1666
Original post by Currieg

You'll soon make it up being a doctor..:tongue:
Reply 1667
Original post by liviaaa
My dentist told me NOT to be a dentist. :tongue:

My doctor told me to be a dentist, don't listen to them. Everyone gets 'bored' of what they do someday and they could just be having a bad day.
Reply 1668
Original post by Currieg
I'll cycle. Or pogo stick. Atleast that way i'll look lean(er) and healthy. How long is there between confirming that one has an interview and the date of the interview.. got a training schedule to plan now haha. "I pogo sticked up here because I couldn't afford the travel costs" I reckon that'd go down as reasonably determined?

Very childish.
Reply 1669
Original post by Legit
Very childish.

Well that just wasn't very necessary was it?
Reply 1670
OMG!

And one of my biology teachers (who used to be a lecturer at Manchester) gives us even more sh*t by saying that it's not about what they write, it's about what they don't write :s-smilie:

Yeah I've heard that, as all teachers will say your best points, and won't lie - so what they don't include tells a lot.
Original post by liviaaa
Yeah I've heard that, as all teachers will say your best points, and won't lie - so what they don't include tells a lot.

Exactly! :mad:
Reply 1672
Original post by Legit
My doctor told me to be a dentist, don't listen to them. Everyone gets 'bored' of what they do someday and they could just be having a bad day.

Yeah I agree, haha.
damn!

must have been hard to get in to!

our school's quite competitive - it's full of brown people though, so like half of them want to do medicine :mad:

(really exaggerated, but I found out that in my school year of around 140 pupils, about 45 want to do medicine :wtf:)

Ha, as I live in Devon 99% of people are white, I only know three people who aren't! Out of about 115 in my year about 15 want to do medicine, so not too bad here, but as there's a fair few of us the school gives a lot of support for medical applications.
Original post by liviaaa
Yeah I agree, haha.

Whenever I go to my GP, he says become a doctor :tongue:

I went to see him today to get a reference so I could volunteer at a care home, and he said to make sure that I don't get too attached because then I won't want to become a doctor. He also said that they're very good for making money, so us being Indians (my GP and I) looking for any opportunity to make money, we'd invest in them :mmm:
Original post by Normandy114
Ha, as I live in Devon 99% of people are white, I only know three people who aren't! Out of about 115 in my year about 15 want to do medicine, so not too bad here, but as there's a fair few of us the school gives a lot of support for medical applications.

Yeah, we get tonnes of support too:

I do AS Critical Thinking and we have 2 sets, 1 of which is devoted to medicine and medical applicants - we talk about all sorts of medical issues and get lots of training for interviews and such :cool:
Reply 1676

I do AS Critical Thinking and we have 2 sets, 1 of which is devoted to medicine and medical applicants - we talk about all sorts of medical issues and get lots of training for interviews and such :cool:

It's all handed on a plate to some. :tongue:
Original post by Legit
I know Southampton give your money back,

I thought Southampton didn't interview in the first place :s-smilie:

I do AS Critical Thinking and I wish we did that so much! We have one hour long lesson per fortnight, and when we do have a lesson it's just 'copy off the board, we don't have enough time!'. Which is true, we've had 4 lessons, mock exam next lesson then the exam a couple weeks after that :s-smilie:
Original post by Normandy114
I thought Southampton didn't interview in the first place :s-smilie:

Yeah, it's one of the only places that do not interview applicants I think.