The Student Room Group

University Equipment for MPharm

Hey Guys,
I'm hoping to study pharmacy next year. I was just wondering if anyone could provide me with a list of equipment/books etc that I'd need to buy whilst at university so I can sort out my finances as I'm not taking out a student loan.

Many Thanks :smile:
Reply 1
Any Past or Present students able to help here?
Reply 2
Original post by jay110
Any Past or Present students able to help here?

I study pharmacology and "Rang and Dale's Pharmacology" is my bible.
I've heard pharmacy students mention it on here too so I think its pretty much used everywhere. For a uni textbook its not that expensive (about £35 I think, which is a lot compared to a book, but relatively cheap in the world of textbooks).

I'm hopefully studying MPharm starting September and can see myself using it an awful lot.
Reply 3
Original post by BigDirty
I study pharmacology and "Rang and Dale's Pharmacology" is my bible.
I've heard pharmacy students mention it on here too so I think its pretty much used everywhere. For a uni textbook its not that expensive (about £35 I think, which is a lot compared to a book, but relatively cheap in the world of textbooks).

I'm hopefully studying MPharm starting September and can see myself using it an awful lot.

Ahh Thank you! Might buy myself a copy and check it out :smile: Where are you hoping to do the MPharm?
Reply 4
Original post by jay110
Ahh Thank you! Might buy myself a copy and check it out :smile: Where are you hoping to do the MPharm?

Yeah you should check it out, and read the first few chapters over the Summer (would only take you a couple of hours) which are about how drugs work etc. and would really give you a bit of background before you started.

Got a conditional for a 2:1 in my degree for Strathclyde, which I am really working hard to achieve at the min. What about you?
Reply 5
Original post by jay110
Hey Guys,
I'm hoping to study pharmacy next year. I was just wondering if anyone could provide me with a list of equipment/books etc that I'd need to buy whilst at university so I can sort out my finances as I'm not taking out a student loan.

Many Thanks :smile:

Hey,

To be honest you dont need much :smile:

I would get Rang and Dale's Pharmacology or the condensed version as a revision aid.

Read up your Organic Chemistry again! Hart and Crane's Organic chemistry is quite good.

Also, I would recommend buying Aulton's Pharmaceutics as it will come in handy for at least 3/4 years of study.

Other than that, I haven't bought any books for university as most of them were available in the library! Also each university has their own recommended books for each topic so don't buy anything else until you get to uni.

Good luck!
Reply 6
Original post by BigDirty
Yeah you should check it out, and read the first few chapters over the Summer (would only take you a couple of hours) which are about how drugs work etc. and would really give you a bit of background before you started.

Got a conditional for a 2:1 in my degree for Strathclyde, which I am really working hard to achieve at the min. What about you?

Thank you so much for your help :smile: I've put one on order from Amazon!! Should be arriving soon :smile:

Ah!! Good luck :smile: I have 5 Conditional offers - Aston, Keele, Reading, DMU and Wolverhampton!
Reply 7
Original post by petzneo
Hey,

To be honest you dont need much :smile:

I would get Rang and Dale's Pharmacology or the condensed version as a revision aid.

Read up your Organic Chemistry again! Hart and Crane's Organic chemistry is quite good.

Also, I would recommend buying Aulton's Pharmaceutics as it will come in handy for at least 3/4 years of study.

Other than that, I haven't bought any books for university as most of them were available in the library! Also each university has their own recommended books for each topic so don't buy anything else until you get to uni.

Good luck!

Thank you so much for your help! I've ordered Rang and Dale's as previously recommended - Just for a bit of light reading :wink:

There's not much in terms of equipment is there? Like we wouldn't be expected to purchase stuff like a Burette or Mortar and Pestle? Haha! The reason I ask is because I have friends doing optometry and they're forking out thousands of pounds for equipment aswell as having to purchase books!!
Reply 8
Original post by jay110
Thank you so much for your help :smile: I've put one on order from Amazon!! Should be arriving soon :smile:

Ah!! Good luck :smile: I have 5 Conditional offers - Aston, Keele, Reading, DMU and Wolverhampton!

No problem. Feel free to rep :colone: lol
Hmm I go to Brighton Uni for pharmacy (in my second year). I'm an international student, and they have most of the books in the library (multiple copies) so that's where I'd go first. If you find yourself always reading the textbook then it may be worth getting a copy for yourself, but I've found a lot of them have eBook versions available for free if you can find them online.
at my school, they make you get a lab coat, lab specs, and a couple of metal spatulas for scooping out powders and whatnot. however i have some from my years at uni in Canada so i didn't need to get new ones.
If you find you must buy a book, I would recommend rang and dale like someone previously mentioned, aulton's can be useful, but a lot of copies are available in my library and old editions are pretty much the same, so there are enough books to go around.

Hope this helps =)
Reply 10
Original post by monkeyolsen
Hmm I go to Brighton Uni for pharmacy (in my second year). I'm an international student, and they have most of the books in the library (multiple copies) so that's where I'd go first. If you find yourself always reading the textbook then it may be worth getting a copy for yourself, but I've found a lot of them have eBook versions available for free if you can find them online.
at my school, they make you get a lab coat, lab specs, and a couple of metal spatulas for scooping out powders and whatnot. however i have some from my years at uni in Canada so i didn't need to get new ones.
If you find you must buy a book, I would recommend rang and dale like someone previously mentioned, aulton's can be useful, but a lot of copies are available in my library and old editions are pretty much the same, so there are enough books to go around.

Hope this helps =)

Thank you very much for your help :smile: I still have my labcoat and specs from college so I can use them :smile: Hoping when I start I can purchase a labcoat with the university name on it! I was about to say about the eBooks - I found online a copy of Rang and Dale aswell as a few other books. Even found a copy of the BNF, all of which will be going onto my iPad ready for university :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending