The Student Room Group

No Tuition fee loan offered?

Dear all,

I'm a second year student with a bit of a situation. I started University at the University of Nottingham and quit in academic year 07/08. I then started at Nottingham Trent University for 08/09 as a Software Engineering Undergraduate. I transferred course to Systems Engineering and was forced to sit a module on it's own for a year 09/10.

I started my second year of study for systems engineering in the 10/11 academic year. This year I came to apply for my tuition fee loan for my third year of study (11/12) and the student finance england website informs me that I can receive no Tuition fee loan, and the maximum maintenance loan amount (with no grant).

Essentially I'm expected to live off of something close to £800 for an entire year as I may well have to use my maintenance loan to pay my tuition fee. I was wondering if there's a way I can apply via a paper application form with my specific situation amended to it? Thanks in advance for any advice people =)

<Edit>

It just crossed my mind, as far as I am aware a student can claim up to four years of tuition fee loans.

As it stands I claimed a tuition fee loan for academic period 2007/2008 , 2008/2009 and 2010/2011 (Three years worth). In 2009/2010 I paid the tuition fee using my Maintenance Loan. Shouldn't this mean that I still have one year of tuition fee loans available for which to cover my third and final year of study? In which case I believe the Student Finance England website may have some form of inaccurate data for me. I do believe I need to talk to them or my local authority, but I am a little confused as to who I need to talk to.
(edited 13 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Won't be your local authority, they no longer exist.
Reply 2
Well just thought I'd update this. Even though I have received 3 years of tuition fee loans, I cannot receive a fourth year of tuition fee loans because I accepted the maintenance loan in 2009/2010 (which I had to use to pay my tuition fee!).

I'm now going to appeal the decision on the grounds that I have not received FULL support for my time at University (which I'm apparently entitled to) in the hope that they'll over-turn the situation.
I think you only get four years of ANY funding, I don't think you can pick and choose which loans to get and save them for another year.
Reply 4
Same thing happened to me :colondollar: You've wasted one year, they only fund you for 4 years. Just apply for the ALF@ uni. I got £1,690 :wink:
Reply 5
:O :O :O We're only entitled for 4 year of tution fee loan ? I took my loan out last year and paid for the foundation year so during my masters i have to pay it from my pocket ? Thats a bit daft!
Reply 6
Original post by Trapped
Same thing happened to me :colondollar: You've wasted one year, they only fund you for 4 years. Just apply for the ALF@ uni. I got £1,690 :wink:

What does ALF stand for ? :s-smilie:
Reply 7
Original post by bibekpd
What does ALF stand for ? :s-smilie:

access to learning fund. Just make sure the letter is convincing, lol >.< + you need to provide documentary evidence of your income, etc....
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by bibekpd
:O :O :O We're only entitled for 4 year of tution fee loan ? I took my loan out last year and paid for the foundation year so during my masters i have to pay it from my pocket ? Thats a bit daft!

Yes, thats how it works....... No one really reads the small print, lmao ^.^
Reply 9
Original post by bibekpd

Is it an integrated masters? I think you can get more than 4 years if your course is longer. E.g. someone doing intercalated medicine can get 5 years funding (6th yr paid by the NHS), I think.
I thought you are only entitled to three years of funding, four if you apply for a four year course initially.

Five years of funding if you declare your course is five years long eg medicine

Its basically so people can't scam the system and keep re-starting different courses every year for an infinite number of times.
Reply 11
Original post by angelmxxx
Is it an integrated masters? I think you can get more than 4 years if your course is longer. E.g. someone doing intercalated medicine can get 5 years funding (6th yr paid by the NHS), I think.

No dont think so. Basically i dint get the grades during a level so i got entered into foundation year so this year im continuing the same course but in a different uni. So foundation year was stage 0 therefore this year i got into another univerisity FOR THE SAME COURSE but stage 1 so i am progressing.

I guess im gona have to find a job and start saving up lol .
Original post by bibekpd
No dont think so. Basically i dint get the grades during a level so i got entered into foundation year so this year im continuing the same course but in a different uni. So foundation year was stage 0 therefore this year i got into another univerisity FOR THE SAME COURSE but stage 1 so i am progressing.

Oh right. So are you on an integrated (4 yr) undergraduate masters course now? When you apply for student finance this year you should have the option to say how many years your new course is so it might give you info then, if not ring them up :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by bibekpd

You should be entitled to full support. It's your course length + 1 year apparently.

<Edit>
I called student finance england again, this time to be told that because I did not receive a maintenance grant or tuition fee loan for academic period 2009/2010 that I should be entitled to it for my final year.
I explained my situation very clearly and calmly to the gentleman over the telephone and he put it through for a manual assessment. I also asked the chap to place a note on my account to state the current situation for anybody else who may need to review it. I would recommend people ask advisors to do this for them whenever they call as it will save other people / assesors or any other relevant party time and confusion.

If anyone else on here is in a similar situation I highly recommend explaining the situation in detail. If one advisor tells you no, call again and ask a different advisor.

Anyway it's still up in the air but I'm hoping for a positive response! Heck if I get the tuition fee loan and maintenance loan without a grant I'd be extremely greatful.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 14
Original post by termin8tor
You should be entitled to full support. It's your course length + 1 year apparently.

<Edit>
I called student finance england again, this time to be told that because I did not receive a maintenance grant or tuition fee loan for academic period 2009/2010 that I should be entitled to it for my final year.
I explained my situation very clearly and calmly to the gentleman over the telephone and he put it through for a manual assessment. I also asked the chap to place a note on my account to state the current situation for anybody else who may need to review it. I would recommend people ask advisors to do this for them whenever they call as it will save other people / assesors or any other relevant party time and confusion.

If anyone else on here is in a similar situation I highly recommend explaining the situation in detail. If one advisor tells you no, call again and ask a different advisor.

Anyway it's still up in the air but I'm hoping for a positive response! Heck if I get the tuition fee loan and maintenance loan without a grant I'd be extremely greatful.

thanks. sorry to hijack your post btw lol. it would be great if what youve said is true :smile:
Reply 15
@bibekpd I really hope so, without that funding I won't be able to afford to finish my degree =(
Reply 16
For those stating it's 4 years of any funding, you are completely wrong.

SFE's assessment is incorrect, based on the regulations.
Reply 17
Original post by Taiko
For those stating it's 4 years of any funding, you are completely wrong.

SFE's assessment is incorrect, based on the regulations.

What is the actual regulation with the regards to that?
Reply 18
Reply 19
Original post by bibekpd

...everyone has to pay for masters courses from their pocket. Unless you're doing a teaching course or something?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending