The Student Room Group

No Tuition fee loan offered?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by bibekpd
No dont think so. Basically i dint get the grades during a level so i got entered into foundation year so this year im continuing the same course but in a different uni. So foundation year was stage 0 therefore this year i got into another univerisity FOR THE SAME COURSE but stage 1 so i am progressing.

I guess im gona have to find a job and start saving up lol .

Well it's the length of your course +1yr, so you'd be allowed it anyway, the foundation year counting as the +1. You don't get tuition fee loans for postgraduate qualifications, i.e. if it is a seperate masters, not an undergraduate one (e.g. MEng, MChem) you have to fund it yourself anyway.
Reply 21
Original post by nadiah
...everyone has to pay for masters courses from their pocket. Unless you're doing a teaching course or something?

reallly ?? I did not know that! :/ Well if i get a job offer after batchelors then i guess i wont be doing masters! lol
Reply 22
Original post by Vinchenko
Well it's the length of your course +1yr, so you'd be allowed it anyway, the foundation year counting as the +1. You don't get tuition fee loans for postgraduate qualifications, i.e. if it is a seperate masters, not an undergraduate one (e.g. MEng, MChem) you have to fund it yourself anyway.

yeah i think youre right but then some one else is saying you have to pay masters from your pocket ? I always thought you get loan for upto 4 or 5 years of degree like in my situation.
Original post by bibekpd
yeah i think youre right but then some one else is saying you have to pay masters from your pocket ? I always thought you get loan for upto 4 or 5 years of degree like in my situation.

There are 2 types of masters. Undergraduate masters (only in science subjects + a couple of new options in business and anthropology are appearing). This is a 4 year undergraduate degree, you don't graduate after 3 years so you only get one degree at the end, and MSci/MAnth/MBus. You pay undergraduate fee prices for each year and get a fee loan for each year.

With a typical degree, you do 3 years and graduate with a BA or BSc. You then do a separate 1 year postgraduate course and get an MSc or an MA. You don't get a fee loan for the postgraduate course, and there is no fee cap. You can apply to research councils or the university for funding though.
Original post by bibekpd

As the poster immediately above me says - it isn't the number of years you study, it's the type of masters you degree. Undergrad masters, where you just do the one 4-5 year course you always get loans for and are charged at the standard rates, postgrad masters are uncapped (can be well over £10k/yr at oxbridge for tuition alone) and you won't get student loans for. On the other hand, in many fields companies will sponser you, as can research councils and the universities themselves if you are an exceptional student. Many banks are also willing to invest in the best students and will provide cheap loans.
Reply 25
Original post by nadiah
...everyone has to pay for masters courses from their pocket. Unless you're doing a teaching course or something?

or an undergrad masters
Original post by Quady
or an undergrad masters

which is not the same thing at all.
Reply 27
Original post by hypocriticaljap
which is not the same thing at all.

It is a masters degree.

If I said buy a cucumber, that would be not the same thing at all.
Original post by Quady
It is a masters degree.

If I said buy a cucumber, that would be not the same thing at all.

In the hierarchy of degree awards an undergraduate degree does not carry the same points allocation as a post grad masters.

It is not equivalent in any way.
Yourself, and anyone else ignorant of the Bologna ratings process can read up here how much more valued a Postgrad masters is compared to an undergraduate masters.
http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=7&ved=0CEcQFjAG&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lancs.ac.uk%2Fcelt%2Fceltweb%2Ffiles%2FNational%2520Credit%2520Framework%2520-%2520Implications%2520and%2520Actions%2520(FINAL).doc&rct=j&q=bologna%20degree%20points%20rating&ei=iN2qTZGzFYun8QPBq4C5Ag&usg=AFQjCNFKNU3KvjxRlicrH5tSD4TzS58hBA&sig2=GiM0XCAWW9d9Nkbkv5PPOw
(edited 13 years ago)
Original post by Gemma :)!
I think you only get four years of ANY funding, I don't think you can pick and choose which loans to get and save them for another year.

This is true (so I don't know why you were negged). My ex's parents paid her tuition fees for 4 years (two on first course, two on the second) so she never took a fee loan, but did take the maintenance stuff. They refused to pay her final year's fees and SF wouldn't provide as she'd had 4 years of funding, even though she'd never taken a tuition fee loan out during that time.
Original post by History-Student
This is true (so I don't know why you were negged). My ex's parents paid her tuition fees for 4 years (two on first course, two on the second) so she never took a fee loan, but did take the maintenance stuff. They refused to pay her final year's fees and SF wouldn't provide as she'd had 4 years of funding, even though she'd never taken a tuition fee loan out during that time.

It is not true.

Entitlement is length of course plus 1 year minus any years already had.

There is no limit on how long the course may be. The formula applies regardless.
It is not true.

There is no limit on how long the course may be. The formula applies regardless.

Her original course was 3 years so she was given 4 years of funding.

The point I was making was the fact that she never had a fee loan in that time, but they still refused her one in the 5th year. I was merely agreeing with Gemma that it doesn't matter what type of funding you take, if you don't take one one year you can't save it up for a later one.
It is not true.

Yes and OP stated that their course was 3 years long. 3 + 1 = 4 :]
Reply 33
If your degree course is 4 years (Modern Languages with year abroad), then you do a PGCE do you get funding for the PGCE?
yes, full funding.
Original post by spanishguy
If your degree course is 4 years (Modern Languages with year abroad), then you do a PGCE do you get funding for the PGCE?

You can always get PGCE funding, it's postgrad so the course + 1 yr rule doesn't apply, but you can get funding anyway.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending