The Student Room Group
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter

Being a student at the University of Exeter?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
It's good to hear other people's opinions on the night life, I'm more of a 'pub girl' rather than someone who likes to go clubbing every week, so it's great to hear that there are a good selection of places to go out to :smile:

Does anyone know of any good/bad points about Cook/Llewllyn Mews?
Students at Cornwall campus, University of Exeter
University of Exeter
Exeter
Original post by The Maide
It's good to hear other people's opinions on the night life, I'm more of a 'pub girl' rather than someone who likes to go clubbing every week, so it's great to hear that there are a good selection of places to go out to :smile:

Does anyone know of any good/bad points about Cook/Llewllyn Mews?

I was in Cook Mews last year and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for self catered and non en-suite accommodation. The room is quite spacious in my standard with a very large desk to work on. There is a sink inside the room and shared showers and toilets. I never had to queue up for such facilities. The location is perfect with me as it is not far away from either the city centre or the campus. Everything is within walking distance, say, a 15-20 min walk depending on your speed.
For bad points, I can't think of any...:wink:
Reply 62
Original post by cherrycharm
I was in Cook Mews last year and would recommend it to anyone who is looking for self catered and non en-suite accommodation. The room is quite spacious in my standard with a very large desk to work on. There is a sink inside the room and shared showers and toilets. I never had to queue up for such facilities. The location is perfect with me as it is not far away from either the city centre or the campus. Everything is within walking distance, say, a 15-20 min walk depending on your speed.
For bad points, I can't think of any...:wink:

Thank you so much :smile: I'm definately looking to go for the Mews as a first choice accommodation as it seems to work out brilliantly for location, and I'm not worried about en-suite etc. How much freezer space did you have? And what length are the beds? Sorry for the questions :colondollar:
Original post by The Maide
Thank you so much :smile: I'm definately looking to go for the Mews as a first choice accommodation as it seems to work out brilliantly for location, and I'm not worried about en-suite etc. How much freezer space did you have? And what length are the beds? Sorry for the questions :colondollar:

Difficult to tell how much space you have in the freezer but for me, it worked well unless everyone tried to store more than enough food at the same time, which rarely happened as we did shopping quite often. Never had a concern about putting stuff in the freezer, anyway!
As for the length of the bed, I did not measure it and should be of a standard size for single beds..:wink:
hi there! I'm going to Exeter this Sept and I've never been to the UK before so I was wondering how the people there are like? are they racially tolerant? :smile: thanks
Reply 65
Original post by cherrycharm
Difficult to tell how much space you have in the freezer but for me, it worked well unless everyone tried to store more than enough food at the same time, which rarely happened as we did shopping quite often. Never had a concern about putting stuff in the freezer, anyway!
As for the length of the bed, I did not measure it and should be of a standard size for single beds..:wink:

Thank you :smile: I'm simply curious really, as for the bed I'm reasonably tall and have the habit of stretching out when I'm asleep. :colondollar:
Reply 66
Original post by vexingdesiderata

hi there! I'm going to Exeter this Sept and I've never been to the UK before so I was wondering how the people there are like? are they racially tolerant? :smile: thanks

Hello! I hope you enjoy coming to the UK then :smile: Yeah i would say in general people are fine, don't even take race in account. But then everyone's different just like in any other country i expect.. I'm not sure about Exeter in particular , I think it should be fine. Everyone I know who's going there this year is in no way racist, but I can't really vouch for Exeter specifically (-I'm from Bristol, going to Exeter this September, *hopefully* :smile: ) I wouldn't worry though! :smile:
Original post by CarlyT
Hello! I hope you enjoy coming to the UK then :smile: Yeah i would say in general people are fine, don't even take race in account. But then everyone's different just like in any other country i expect.. I'm not sure about Exeter in particular , I think it should be fine. Everyone I know who's going there this year is in no way racist, but I can't really vouch for Exeter specifically (-I'm from Bristol, going to Exeter this September, *hopefully* :smile: ) I wouldn't worry though! :smile:

thanks alot! makes me feel a little more assured! :smile: btw any suggestions on the halls (anyone)? I hope they plan many many parties for the freshies!! :biggrin:
Reply 68

hi! just wondering: which country are you from? :smile:
Reply 69
Original post by Thomas...
No, he's been completley put off, and is now going to London.
Ok nice. I'm doing Law.

can i find out more on why your friend's been put off? :/
i'm asian too (chinese, from singapore) and i'll most likely be going to exeter to do law this oct. given that the international population is not too big over there, i do kind of worry about the issue of fitting in! :frown:
Original post by sugarsop
can i find out more on why your friend's been put off? :/
i'm asian too (chinese, from singapore) and i'll most likely be going to exeter to do law this oct. given that the international population is not too big over there, i do kind of worry about the issue of fitting in! :frown:

you'll fit in just fine, don't worry! exeter is amazing. i assume you speak chinese... you'll find LOADS of asians from the business school and if you want to meet other international students, i suggest you join the international society! :smile:
Reply 71
Original post by make.a.sound
you'll fit in just fine, don't worry! exeter is amazing. i assume you speak chinese... you'll find LOADS of asians from the business school and if you want to meet other international students, i suggest you join the international society! :smile:

yay thanks, that's nice to know!:biggrin: you'd be surprised to hear that my spoken chinese is ridiculously horrible :tongue:
Reply 72
Original post by Shmeiks
About to firm Exeter for Physics. Don't know what all the fuss is about the lack of night-life there tbh. All the people who I know there seem to have crazy nights out more often than most other unis, although that might be more to do with the company rather than facilities.

As for accommodation - Holland hall all the way. I've got a good friend there - ensuite and double bed is a must for me, although apparently most other halls hate them because they're seen slightly as the 'rich kids'. Seemed to me more like a hotel than a hall of residence though!

Hey im on a gap year and will study Physics too.. Holland Hall is really good! I have friends there this year and some going next year and I know ppl who wished they´'d gone! Definately best catered choice!

does anybody have any good advice on self-catered accommodation? Is on Campus better or does it not really make much of a difference?
hi! just wondering: which country are you from? :smile:

hi there! I'm from singapore hahaha and my mandarin sucks btw. I"m going through the diploma programme :smile:
Reply 74
hi there! I'm from singapore hahaha and my mandarin sucks btw. I"m going through the diploma programme :smile:

yeah mine as well! yay for a fellow sgporean :smile:!! just completed As?
yeah mine as well! yay for a fellow sgporean :smile:!! just completed As?

haha no I graduated in 2009. So should be a year older than you :smile:
Original post by sam8472
no it shouldnt be but you could almost play a version of where's wally but with spot the black guy.

So where's the problem? That's a slight exaggeration, too.
Reply 77
Original post by FiveFiveSix
So where's the problem? That's a slight exaggeration, too.

I never said it was a problem was more suggesting ways exeters lack of diversity can be made fun
Original post by Fnoops
Hey im on a gap year and will study Physics too.. Holland Hall is really good! I have friends there this year and some going next year and I know ppl who wished they´'d gone! Definately best catered choice!

does anybody have any good advice on self-catered accommodation? Is on Campus better or does it not really make much of a difference?

I'm in James Owen which is self catered. If you don't mind a 15minute ish walk up to campus, then it's quite a nice place to be. It's close to town and all the shops. Lafrowda is cheaper and on campus. It depends if the walk to your lectures will bother you or not. There's a few other self catered which are on campus - it all depends what you're looking for.
Reply 79
Original post by WaterCrafter
I'm in James Owen which is self catered. If you don't mind a 15minute ish walk up to campus, then it's quite a nice place to be. It's close to town and all the shops. Lafrowda is cheaper and on campus. It depends if the walk to your lectures will bother you or not. There's a few other self catered which are on campus - it all depends what you're looking for.

Yh i would rather be on campus.. what's Rowe like? It doesn't look bad but I have to say I don't know much about it. I mostly want one which will be lively!

Quick Reply

Latest