The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

A portrait of the Artist as a Young Man - James Joyce.
More Sweat, More Blood and Another Cup Of Tea- Tom Reynolds. Based on an EMT's (emergency medical technician's) experiences working for the London Ambulance Service.

I had no idea how awesome and how **** that job can be and how overused and undervalued they are as a service.

Definitely a consideration of mine if I don't get into medicine next year. I want to work on the front line.

:smile:
The Girl in the Picture by Denise Chong
The Help by Kathryn Stockett
Emma by Jane Austen
The Britannica Guide to The Brain
Is There Life After Death

Though I've only actually read like three pages of Emma cos I'm a bit scared of it. I'll get into it when I have more time... Damn I have got to stop reading four books at a time they'll never get finished!!!
Original post by show_time
I'm going to lower the tone here quite considerably. Last night I finished Dannii Minogues Autobiography (which was great!) and tonight I'll be starting Holly and Fearne, A best friends guide. I use books to unwind :smile: :smile: :smile: xxx

Nothing wrong with that at all. :smile:
Jurassic park. Great book indeed :biggrin:
The very hungry caterpillar dude.

and...

To Catch A Thief by Richard Taylor
The Hot House (Life Inside Leavenworth Prison)

Fish - A Memoir of a Boy in a Man's Prison

Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy - John Le Carre
Succeed in Maths - Barbara Davis :coma:
(edited 13 years ago)
Jeffrey Archer - sons of fortune :coma:
Still haven't finished To Kill A Mockingbird. I don't even know where I left it. Woops. Really must track it down.

I'm actually not reading anything at this particular moment in time. Really need to get some books off my friends for a change. :lol: But I recently finished these three.

Lionboy: The Truth
Triskellion 3: The Gathering
The Raspberry Rules (It's for 12 year olds or something but I fancied reading it anyway. :lol:)

I had a few trilogies that I needed to finish. :lol:
Life of Pi. :coma:
Reply 9631
pnin by vladimir nabokov
The City and the Stars - Arthur C. Clarke
The Blade Itself - Joe Abercrombie
Original post by concubine
Matter by Iain M. Banks. Dunno why it's taken me nearly 3 years to get around to buying it.

Is it good? I've been meaning to buy a modern sci-fi. All the sci-fi I've read is quite old now. Mostly Arthur C. Clarke era. Epic, but dated. Just bothers me slightly when I read about 'tapes' and massive old computers...

Any sci-fi recommendations in general?
Original post by Dreamseeker
Is it good? I've been meaning to buy a modern sci-fi. All the sci-fi I've read is quite old now. Mostly Arthur C. Clarke era. Epic, but dated. Just bothers me slightly when I read about 'tapes' and massive old computers...

Any sci-fi recommendations in general?

As far as newer stuff goes:

Edelman's Jump 225 Trilogy
Hamilton's Commonwealth Saga
Simmons' Ilium/Olympos
Banks' Culture novels
Mcdonald's The Dervish House

And 12937198237012 other books. ;p
Russian GF has nagged me to read Idiot by Dostoyevsky. Perhaps im just a bit thick but I find russian literature really hard to follow and get confused by the shortening on different names, like alexander to sasha and stuff!
Reply 9636
Original post by neiljeff123
Russian GF has nagged me to read Idiot by Dostoyevsky. Perhaps im just a bit thick but I find russian literature really hard to follow and get confused by the shortening on different names, like alexander to sasha and stuff!

I love The Idiot! Crime & Punishment is also a wonderful novel, while the short story The Devil is a good read too.
A tip my English Literature teacher (who is Russian) gave me is to write the full names, including nicknames, of all the characters as you come across them. Especially helpful for The Idiot, where there are two generals, both called The General at some point.
Those in Peril by Wilbur Smith
Original post by neiljeff123

If you think that is hard to follow, try War and Peace
Reply 9639
The Great War for Civilisation by Robert Fisk.
Gigantic book but I'm loving it!

Latest

Trending

Trending