The Student Room Group

Is David Cameron right that mass immigration has damaged communities?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Original post by ItsaNameAndIUseIt
Attitudes towards immigration aren't that healthy in my opinion. Immigration may have damaged communities, but it's not necessarily the 'immigrants' fault.

I've always been pro multiculturalism, and I always will be. It just needs to be handled better.

I am pro European-multiculturalism. Third world culture should not be celebrated, it should be discouraged through integration.
Reply 201
Original post by effofex
The PVV are still nowhere near the largest party. They receive relatively little support in Amsterdam. As a migrant (allochtoon / buitlander / vreemdelinger) I have never personally faced any hostility from any of their canvassers (in fact, I've never even seen one). My Dutch colleagues and acquaintances don't even seem to care that I am very far from fluency in their language either. We don't really have a problem with segregation here either.

That's anecdotal though, isn't it? You don't have an omnipotent presence in Amsterdam or the Netherlands, so you are only going by your own experiences.
Personally I'm pro the Melting Pot model over the Political Multiculturalism Model... although some people use the second term when they mean the first but c'est la vie! On David Cameron, I am inclined to say he is correct although I blame this more on a failure of government policy rather than the immigrants themselves.
Original post by infernalcradle
have you been to london....where it is easy to be able to live your entire life in the city and not have to speak a word of english if you live in certain parts...

there are parts where not only are white people almost a non-entity, but in which almost everything in that area is in a different language to english and most of the people don't even bother/can't speak it....

I presume you mean Southall?
I have a friend in Southall, and I spent about a week staying there. I noticed two things on a bus journey one day:

1) I'm the only white person on this bus
2) Nobody's batting an eyelid at statement one.

As far as I was concerned, everyone was just going about their daily business. I felt safe (safer than I did in central London, although that's understandable because it's a tourist trap).
I was able to order fast food in English. The people around me were speaking English, as well as their own languages -it wasn't a case of the area being an exclave of the Indian subcontinent. Where there were signs written in another language, the English was also clearly visible.
Clearly you're basing your views on what you've read in the Daily Mail or another such tabloid. If you've actually experienced these places, you'd come to realise that it's not a problem.
Original post by JayTeeKay
I presume you mean Southall?
I have a friend in Southall, and I spent about a week staying there. I noticed two things on a bus journey one day:

1) I'm the only white person on this bus
2) Nobody's batting an eyelid at statement one.

As far as I was concerned, everyone was just going about their daily business. I felt safe (safer than I did in central London, although that's understandable because it's a tourist trap).
I was able to order fast food in English. The people around me were speaking English, as well as their own languages -it wasn't a case of the area being an exclave of the Indian subcontinent. Where there were signs written in another language, the English was also clearly visible.
Clearly you're basing your views on what you've read in the Daily Mail or another such tabloid. If you've actually experienced these places, you'd come to realise that it's not a problem.

southall is only one of the places I'm referring to....

I don't read trash like the daily mail...I read the Times....

nor did I mention anything to do with Indians....

and I have been to all the places I have mentioned.....I'm not white btw....
Original post by infernalcradle
southall is only one of the places I'm referring to....

I don't read trash like the daily mail...I read the Times....

nor did I mention anything to do with Indians....

and I have been to all the places I have mentioned.....I'm not white btw....

I didn't say you were white.
I didn't say you said anything to do with Indians. I didn't say anything about Indians. I mentioned the Indian subcontinent.
In my experience it's not a problem. The whole "none of 'em speak English" argument just seems to be nationalist rhetoric as far as I'm concerned. I am yet to feel like a foreigner in my own country, and I doubt that many of the people against immigration have felt that way, even if they use it as an argument against immigration.
That's my view anyway.
I sit in a class, i'm the only white person. I listen to these 1 gen immigrants talk about setting up a fake marriage from india, setting up claims for job seekers whilst in education, talk about how **** our country is, talk about past wars as though that gives them justification in their current actions.

Am i racist? i honestly dont know. I deffo don't give a toss what colour skin someone has. but do i make judgements based on the country they come from before i get to know someone? i think i kinda do. But its based on my experiences, which is a human thing to do.

So am i racist?
Original post by JayTeeKay
I didn't say you were white.
I didn't say you said anything to do with Indians. I didn't say anything about Indians. I mentioned the Indian subcontinent.
In my experience it's not a problem. The whole "none of 'em speak English" argument just seems to be nationalist rhetoric as far as I'm concerned. I am yet to feel like a foreigner in my own country, and I doubt that many of the people against immigration have felt that way, even if they use it as an argument against immigration.
That's my view anyway.

Seriously? come to london. Seriously. Walk down watford high street and tell me you don't feel like the odd one out. haha.
Original post by barrett1987
Seriously? come to london. Seriously. Walk down watford high street and tell me you don't feel like the odd one out. haha.

As I said. I was the only White person on the bus I was on in Southall, and I felt very comfortable- more so than I do on the busses in my hometown, which is something like 98% White.
Sometimes I feel I'm the odd one out, as I appear to be surrounded by morons.
Reply 209
If ever there was a time to take a more prudent view of immigration, then now is that time. I'm speaking from an economic perspective with 2.5m unemployed on benefits - there's obviously a preference for a benefit seeker finding xyz job over a new arrival, all else equal.

What does my nut in is the amount of scapegoating levelled at immigrants, particularly amongst lazy scummy tossers who happen to be British.
Reply 210
Original post by Milk <3
do you go out with muslims at the weekend, clubbing, holidays etc?

why is it a a negative thing that Muslims don't go out clubbing? You do know what clubbing is like, it's not something to promote!!! Now even our decision not to go to such a place is badly looked upon! :rolleyes:
Reply 211
Original post by barrett1987
I sit in a class, i'm the only white person. I listen to these 1 gen immigrants talk about setting up a fake marriage from india, setting up claims for job seekers whilst in education, talk about how **** our country is, talk about past wars as though that gives them justification in their current actions.

Am i racist? i honestly dont know. I deffo don't give a toss what colour skin someone has. but do i make judgements based on the country they come from before i get to know someone? i think i kinda do. But its based on my experiences, which is a human thing to do.

So am i racist?

You do get people like that, but surely if all immigrants were like that, the UK would have put a lid on immigration ages ago.

There is a reason why mass immigration has been promoted till now and this is only because it benefits the UK more than it damages it. All this talk by Cameron is political, he denounced immigrants etc but I doubt he will actually do something radical about it.
Reply 212
Original post by Foo.mp3
I'm one of those lucky ****ers who's never lived in a particularly poor or 'mixed' community, never been jacked, never seen someone shot up, never had me girl or me job nicked by someone called Pavel, never wondered if the neighbours are cooking up a fresh batch of bombs, never been rampaged by a small army of 'YOOTS' on bikes..

then why do you have what seems to be an 'anti-Muslim' gun in your sig and an EDL logo? Do you believe the sensational stories regarding Muslims too much? Because from your account, it seems that you lead a life undisturbed by Muslims.
Reply 213
Original post by Grund

There was even this story a while ago about an elderly Indian woman who couldn't speak a word of English apart from the bare basics such as "Hello", "Thank you" and "Goodbye", and she'd been living here for many years. I just find that disrespectful; that she hasn't even tried to learn our language, yet she's living off of our country's resources.

I know a couple of people like that.

They're all mothers of fairly wealthy individuals who have brought their elderly parents over so they can experience a better lifestyle. None of them live off the country's resources because their children cover all their costs, directly injecting money into the economy.

Don't believe everything you read.

And even if this specific woman was different, so what? She couldn't just be there with nothing to do. She was obviously contributing to society in someway, even if it was just cleaning the houses of other indian families, families who contribute a lot to the economy - there was obviously a demand for her and she met it.
Reply 214
Meh, **** this. I'm a muslim, not particularly devout admittedly, but still don't drink alcohol and my best friends are two white people - one a devout greek orthodox and the other a liberal white guy. Yes, I do go out with them on holidays etc.

I don't see the big deal.

p.s I don't live in the uk
Reply 215
Original post by storna
That's anecdotal though, isn't it? You don't have an omnipotent presence in Amsterdam or the Netherlands, so you are only going by your own experiences.

No one has an omnipotent presence in Amsterdam or the Netherlands. On weekends I socialize with large numbers of immigrants and a few Nederlanders; the former, for the most part are also nowhere near fluent in Dutch and not once has a single one specified that they were on the receiving end of a hostile attitude from an autochtoon (native Dutch) as a result of this.
Original post by Scottish
I am pro European-multiculturalism. Third world culture should not be celebrated, it should be discouraged through integration.

Some third world culture SHOULD be celebrated! Not all of it is horrific, I agree that some of it is, but integration is there so that different cultures can learn from each other. This is the point. Parts of our culture, though not as shocking, aren't good either. It's a two way street.
Reply 217
Original post by ItsaNameAndIUseIt
Some third world culture SHOULD be celebrated! Not all of it is horrific, I agree that some of it is, but integration is there so that different cultures can learn from each other. This is the point. Parts of our culture, though not as shocking, aren't good either. It's a two way street.

What is third world culture? What does it involve? And how do you go about practising it?
foo.mp3 is an idiot.
foo.mp3 is not an idiot.

Quick Reply

Latest